Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Cat issue landlord/owner

[...]

So my best friend had a cat and she's currently had to go overseas it was on short notice, I said id ld look after her while she was gone, now my landlord and the owner of my unit will not allow me to kept her cause of the no per clause.

I have offered extra payments have her declawed and everything they still denie her staying ,

Funny thing is my land lord has a 5 ft dog , plus our neighbours have cats.

Since I've had the cat my anixety has lowered as well as my panic attacks and loneliness since I've had cat with me.

I'm prepared to be evicted for this cat . I'm just wondering, I feel like chasing this and disputing and getting a letter from pysch to say she is good for my health?

What should I do

Whatever you do, don't declaw her - that's cruel.  It's actually amputation.

Whether a note from your doctor would help probably depends on the rent laws where you are.

Totally second Kris... no declawing.  Do we have any bbs that would be an attorney to address this???  I know we have many professionals, maybe there is one.  Cannot understand, since this is a temporary time, and another tenant has a cat, how your landlord would take this stand?  Hopefully a bbs who may be an attorney can chime in.  Patty

I've offered to pay for damages if anything happens put a pet deposit down , I'm

Not meant to have a pet without permission, i only had one day before she left ,this was all she had as I may have to keep her for good, I'm unwell as it is, the cat is good support line for me. And now she wants to evict me

For a 2kg cat yet she has a 50kg dog and others have Pets. But we all fall under the same RTA... I feel discrimination

Hi Hegs,

If other tenants have pets, and you can prove it...I think you could take this to the rent review association in your area. I'd just google "tenant's complaints" and the city you live in and you should find somewhere you can learn your rights under the tenants act of your city. You nay not even need a lawyer.

Hi Hegs,

If other tenants have pets, and you can prove it...I think you could take this to the rent review association in your area. I'd just google "tenant's complaints" and the city you live in and you should find somewhere you can learn your rights under the tenants act of your city. You nay not even need a lawyer.

:thumbsup: Hope

My suggestion is

keep the cat and find another place to live

Fighting with your landlord will only increase Your stress Levels

Good luck