Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

what do you do to pass the time

[Me...]

It's hard to phrase this correctly, because I have tapered for 10 months and 17.5 months off am still struggling badly so this illness has been one of the worst things that ever happened to me, but that said I have also been having a blast. 

I definitely caught up on every movie I had been meaning to see (largely via netflix for affordability), I read a number of books, I caught up on and increased all of my correspondences,  I have become closer with my family and friends, I have made new friends, I have spent a lot of quality time with my dog, I have taken up fairly regular excercise (bike riding, yoga, and swimming are the three activities I am able to tolerate), and health permitting I have gone to a great deal of free art and music events in my town. 

Also, though I am not quite sure that I am healthy enough (because I my worst symptoms are cognative/memory), I have signed up for two online classes from my local community college for next semester.  Their office of disabled students was a really asset in helping me to get into the online classes, and they will provide assistance if I need it (such as turning assignments in late and taking extra time for tests), next semester.

Hope that gives you a few ideas!

Best wishes.

:)

wow,  u have a great attitude sweet.  i think i need some of that.  on line courses,  thats a good idea.  i just started to go for walks,  maybe i'll go biking some time.  thx again

• 2 years later...

In the assumption of what helps me the most during withdrawal symptoms:

Jigsaw Planet, a couple of hours spent on concentration putting a puzzle together is wonderfully distracting during an extended anxiety episode.

Exercise helps- even if it's just a walk around the neighborhood. Weight training and some bicycling/aerobics does the same.

Distracting myself with household chores.

I also put together spaceship models/paint them.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
During the day I try to read, meditate (which has become very difficult because I just can't concentrate very well.) At night I watch old TV series on NETFLIX or AMAZON PRIME...sometimes I'll watch 5-6 episodes in a row before I finally get tired enough to sleep. I'd like to exercise but just the thought of it right now sounds terribly boring. I do run a small business so some days I'll handle a job that I normally would give to my technician. I find that my wife and I talk more frequently since I began my taper of K...Serious talk. Sometimes I get so hyper my wife can't stand to be around me.  We have a mutual understanding because I warned her of the possible symptoms of the tapering. That's all I can think of. :thumbsup:

Concentrating on meditation?  You're not supposed to concentrate...

True, RC. When I first took up meditation, thoughts would pop in my mind left and right. Then, of course, I would follow them around and analyze the crap outta them.  ::) Float peacefully with little to no reaction, and meditation can take one to places that we never knew existed in our deeper levels of consciousness. It can be akin to opening up a room full of items, you forgot you had...some good, some bad. Very mind blowing, yet very liberating in the long run.  :) Takes alot of practice.

Are you a meditater RC? Just wondering.  :)

Peace

hi joey i hope you slept wel last night *hugs* i did i did alot this morning so im going to have a nappy soon , ohhh i added more photos on my photobucket awhile ago  :yippee:

hi joey i hope you slept wel last night *hugs* i did i did alot this morning so im going to have a nappy soon , ohhh i added more photos on my photobucket awhile ago  :yippee:

Hi Katie! I slept ok. What can I expect?  ::) Hey, send me some. How's the ranch house coming?

:):smitten:

i actually went out there earlier to the ranch i took my little evan with me i did quite alot of mowing i mowed all the ditch then the inside of the front fence then along the driveway and i mowed between the back of trailer house and in front and all around my house being built then i mowed a large area where septic tank is  i couldnt mow in front of the trailer house there was pockets of mud there . but then i mowed my path that goes to the back back i got stuck in mud :( . evan wasnt much help helping me unstuck it so sunday dad is gong there with me to get it out he said he can use a long 2x4 to pry up the mower and then we can put a piece of 2x10 for the tires so sit on . all i need is for it to go another 3 feet forward i was thinkin i could drive the john deere back there and tie a rope to the front of it to pull it out but dad is good at that stff we'll get it out

earlier i wrote i was gonna have a nappy i never had one i been awake since around 330am its 740 pm now :(

i wish i coiuldve stayed the night there at the ranch with evan he has a baseball game tomorrow so he couldnt

Got a garden in 5 gallon buckets...on line stuff...disc golf if i'm feelin chipper, which i ain't, recently...AA meetings...a couple of groups I run at a rehab center...swimming is feasible, now that it's warm...reading and crossword puzzles when I can concentrate...reading everything I can about benzos...trying to organize a dayhab for protracted w/d folks...and cooking/eating when I think about it...more, but that's enough for now...

hi mike !! wow i didnt know you liked disc golf i used to love that game i havent played it in awhile theres a course nearby at a park its challenging i do go with a disk called a gazelle  i have a yellow one too with a shark on it and a few others that i found there at the park , i like to throw side-armed i seem to throw really good that way  :yippee:

[f0...]
I am in  school, so studying and writing papers keeps me pretty occupied. Plus my classes have focused a lot on neuropsychology and psychopharmacology, so it has been incredibly interesting, and just feels like an extension from this process. I am also a musician, so times that I am super anxious I sit at my piano and work songs out, practice, and sing. I also walk on the beach, and take my dogs hiking and to the park. Reading and journaling (get tired of it since I am writing so much with school). Yoga, meditation. I am taking a new cooking class this week, so looking forward to that. I just try to stay occupied. 8)

re: Meditation...perhaps concentrate was the wrong word. Excuse ME!  :D What I meant to say (I hope this is appropriate...if not, let me know for sure.) is that sometimes it is hard to meditate because the tapering allows me to be easily distracted, thus harder to meditate. Is that wording OK?

[f0...]
I was feeling really anxious a while ago, and took out a bunch of veggies, and chopped them up. Chopping is very relaxing. Chucked them in a crock pot and will have vegetable soup for tomorrow.  :P

[f7...]
Today I got out my art supplies and started painting a silk scarf.  I have been wanting to do this for so long and just couldn't get going, but now that I'm into it I absolutely love it and it's such a great distraction.

JC215: I'm glad to hear you've started painting again. I'm just wondering if it was the drugs or the tapering that kept you from painting or something else? I am a landscape photographer and since I started my w/d I have absolutely no desire for a photo shoot. Occasionally I might post process an earlier photograph, but just can't force myself to get outside and do my thing.  >:(

[f7...]
Zion, I used to be creative in so many ways and being on klonopin gradually zapped that away.  Going through withdrawal, the urge to do things again has been coming back but sometimes my symptoms kept me from doing anything.  But now that I've jumped back into it, it feels wonderful.  Maybe your desire for photography will come back gradually and you can get back into it.

Concentrating on meditation?  You're not supposed to concentrate...

True, RC. When I first took up meditation, thoughts would pop in my mind left and right. Then, of course, I would follow them around and analyze the crap outta them.  ::) Float peacefully with little to no reaction, and meditation can take one to places that we never knew existed in our deeper levels of consciousness. It can be akin to opening up a room full of items, you forgot you had...some good, some bad. Very mind blowing, yet very liberating in the long run.  :) Takes alot of practice.

Are you a meditater RC? Just wondering.  :)

Peace

I try to be one. When I remember to kick the cats out of the room first.

what i do to pass the time means alot to me i always try to stay busy & occupied all day since it keeps my mind off my health that was my key of getting thru acute withdrewals after i quit alprazolam. I've become rather mechanically inclined when it comes to small engine repair so the past 5 months or so i fixed a old john deere  riding mower that hadnt worked in years then i did the same with a gas tiller that wasnt used in 10 years then , i did this to 2 gas weedeaters that needed work & a gas blower im still working on a gas chansaw & a gas powered edger the edger seems simple all i have to do is get the end of the pull string and tie it back to the handle . im also very computer savvy i like to tinker wiht one of the 7 old computers i have if it needs work i also enjoy watching movies at night with mom  so i like to download new moviews use convertxtodvd to make them playable on a dvd player i have over 600 movies so i have a whole red box at home :P

im also a great cook so i do most of the cooking at home

and i also enjoy spending time with my little evan he means alot to me i love him dearly