Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Grammar, Spelling, and Punctuation - Warning: May Be TERRIFYING!

[re...]

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/thepondermatic/GrammarCat.jpgWARNING:

You may find the following discussion TERRIFYING.

A pebble in the shoe is not important, but it gets irritating after a while. So do these constant and repeated assaults on the English language that I see around here. I'm not talking about typos. I'm talking about "deliberate mistakes", so to speak. Here's one that really annoys me, and I've been seeing it a lot lately:

"Do you think kallonnoppinn is the worse benzo of all?"

That would be perfectly good Spanish, but it's terrible English.

If Klonopin is worse than Xanax, and worse than Ativan, and worse than Valium,
then it may be the worst benzo of all.

I thought I'd start a little topic here, just for fun,
in case anyone else wanted to vent about this particular little annoyance
without directly attacking anyone. Maybe we can get a laugh or two out of it.

If you think this is not important enough to post,
then it's not important enough to read it or reply to it. Eh? Wot?

I'm prollly giulty o fthis.

That's why I'm a designer and not a writer. My sister is an English Major and she gets irritated all the time with things I say. For instance, if you say something is ironically when it actually should be coincidentally. Another one is if you say I could care less implying that you actually could care less - it should actually be I couldn't care less.

So for fun I got her a grammatically correct Ghostbusters t-shirt that says I am not afraid of one or more ghosts.

Off topic, has anyone seen the new Sherlock Series? There is an excellent scene in one of the episodes where he corrects an inmates grammer. It's very funny.

English majors... who needs em' anyhowzz?

Just between you and I, this maybe the worse idea for a post any body ever had had. Butt, it could be worst, I guess. I could be obsessed with punctuation. I could be concerned about your colon, hyped about your hyphen, peeved about your period.

OK then, how about this: "mistakes" that really aren't mistakes at all, that actually are correct usage.

For example, I have written such things as " Please excuse my typo's" or "It's hard to withdraw from benzo's," and I've been informed that these spellings are incorrect, because the apostrophes indicate a singular possessive where I intended the plural. 

Mierda del toro, I say.

I think my spellings were perfectly correct - for the plural.

If anyone cares to explore that, go ahead. Make my day.

Butt be worned. I'm in withdrawll. Their are know ruls.

Oh yes, this will be a great place for me to vent about this.  That "withdrawl" one really gets me and for some reason this:  greatful.

Well, when I first started  to learn about GABA I always used to type it as GABBA, I guess thinking of the group ABBA ;) now I am sure that really bothered allot of folks here : :laugh:

My  pet peeve has always been the "I couldn't care less vs "I  could care less" but I try to keep it to myself, its a small thing really :smitten:

LG

I thinks this is a grate post lol. Spelling and punku ation are very diffacult when in benzo witdrawl lol.  we have to be able to laugh at ourselves .

i think Ativan is the worse of all.  If you think you're drug or someone else's drug was worst, then I would say they all effect us in different ways.

I can't read posts that are written in text speak....no capital letters, commas, paragraphs, endless run on sentences and written with abbreviated words.  So just shoot me...I'm old.  My  brain cannot cull through ramblings and interpret and I don't try to read them anymore.

I also understand that many people on this forum come from countries where English is not the primary language.  Kudos to them for the effort. :thumbsup:

I overly use exclamation points. I like to use at least three!!! I can't leave them lonely!!!

The one word that seems to drive me crazy is "loosing". People do this one at work all the time, how does spellcheck not help them? I'm defiantly not sure how this happens. :)

Maybe some jest here.. and that's ok.. Though, does grammer or punctuation even matter through this.. maybe to some.. Frankly, I don't give a crap about it.. There is too much going through this to worry about that! Compassion, Support and Empathy are so much more important.  So my spelling or grammer is not correct... Compassion, Support and Empathy, without Ego is a better road to travel..  Isn't this benzo journey about that.. Pattylu

I have to agree with Pattylu on this does it really matter because to me it doesn't but I see your point and as someone as already mentioned there are people from various parts of the world that come on here for help.

I put my hand up as to basically keep typing away without stopping and it makes it difficult for people to read and a  fellow BB mentioned this to me and now I hope what I hope it will be easier to read what I write.

I think myself lucky that I can read and write there may be many that can't and just to be able to come on here to get what help and information that they can is invaluable.

I have to say I get annoyed when people spell my surname wrong especially when I have spelt it to them over the phone.

dd58

dd58 and Pattylu my posts were not meant to hurt anyone. I'm an absolute criminal at grammer, spelling, and punctuation. I was posting about some of my own flaws, and certainly it wasn't based out of ego or lack of empathy for others. I just try to not take myself or others too seriously and this is a great distraction (and a very funny thread). As they say laughter is the best medicine.

This is in the Off-Topic section btw. It doesn't relate to the suffering of benzos - and frankly sometimes I and others need a break from it.  :thumbsup:

Sorry about the misunderstanding,we obviously thought you were being serious well I was,you say you are bad I often check on google how to spell certain words and what is punctuation if my dots are in the wrong place tough,as long as people can understand it.

Yes you are right about laughter is the best medicine,my kittens make me laugh one in particular is a little so and so.I have had cats in the past but this one well he has a thing for pens,paint brushes he picks them up from upstairs and you hear him and his brother stomping downstairs and there's Sweep with a pen in his mouth and yes Sooty following.

Got to tell you this I had put 2 apple pies in a plastic bag ready for my hubby to take to work the following day,I am laughing as I type we were watching TV in an other room,in walks Sweep with a bag dangling from his mouth,hubby said 'what the hell as he got there' then I clicked his apple pies,took it off him went in the kitchen and there on the floor one apple pie minus the pastry round the edge :laugh:

dd58 :-[

I think this is thread is really funny.  My grammar and spelling have become better since using facebook and community sites - I kinda forgot what I had learned at school. I've had lots of people pick on me on facebook, so I went out and brought a book on grammar and buffed-up my skills. I'm an artist, so English has never been my strong point, but I'm better at it now - must be my new found enthusiasm.  :D

Good grammar is very useful as it helps us understand what people are saying.  Stuff spelling though, we know what people are getting at. I never put people down for their mistakes, as sometimes it is just an error.  :)

dd58 and Pattylu my posts were not meant to hurt anyone. I'm an absolute criminal at grammer, spelling, and punctuation. I was posting about some of my own flaws, and certainly it wasn't based out of ego or lack of empathy for others. I just try to not take myself or others too seriously and this is a great distraction (and a very funny thread). As they say laughter is the best medicine.

This is in the Off-Topic section btw. It doesn't relate to the suffering of benzos - and frankly sometimes I and others need a break from it.  :thumbsup:

This is my stance also.  I was poking fun at the conditioning of my brain to spell correctly and how it disqualifies someones entire being based on a misspelled word.  :idiot:

In the history of the internet only once have I been bothered by anyone's punctuation. It was just like this guy I wanted to punch in the face who thought he was smart but wasn't and would overuse incorrect punctuation.

In general I think everyone's grammar and punctuation is probably more advanced then mine. I often think about schooling myself but ya know you pick up bad grammar habits early in life and they're hard to correct.

I'm just gonna blame Reagan here. Why did education start declining in the after the 60s? From what I understand school used to be challenging.

The end.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It is not just where you are goto,my youngest son is Network Manager at his former comprehensive school,I think it is high school where you are,oh silly me I am in the U.K.

And the things he tells me that both pupils and teachers have written is unbelievable he has access to all the computers in case anything untoward is written or is being viewed.

In the news recently they were saying how many pupils were leaving school without knowing the basics of reading and writing,thinking about it I am surprised that I can considering neither of my parents spoke fluent English or read it in fact,and never owned a book of my own until I was given Little Women for being best at Needlework.

DD  I bet you are looking for faults in my post  ;)

"want adds" are a great place for laughs.  I once saw an add from a husband that read something like this:

Must sell in a hurry, wife pregnant, 1992 Ford Mustang good condition.

Apparently pregnant wives quickly lose value,  I wonder if she was in good condition too.

lol that's funny. Adverts and graphics can have the best mistakes.  I always get people to check my work, actually at least two people as I don't trust my spelling and grammar. I remember my first magazine project, it looked amazing, but had a spelling mistake in it - I was totally mortified.  Luckily enough it was only for college and not printed for the public eye.  :laugh:

I've been having problems with their and there, I haven't had a English class in 30 yrs. At my Baptist church I wrote my checks babtist for 2 yrs.  :idiot:

If I could pronounce it right I might be able to spell it.

I've been having problems with their and there, I haven't had a English class in 30 yrs. At my Baptist church I wrote my checks babtist for 2 yrs.  :idiot:

If I could pronounce it right I might be able to spell it.

Thank the Lord you're not a Presbyterian.