Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Good books you have read

[Da...]

I got about halfway through East of Eden by Steinbeck, but decided to quite because there was one passage about the main character's daughter being possessed or something.  Creeped me out.  But the writing was beautiful. 

I'm now working on The Trees by Conrad Richter.  So far it's a little difficult because of the dialect, but it's interesting. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ih...]

• [Da...]

• [mp...]

• [sa...]

Just started another  Jodi Picoult book: Keeping Faith, got it for a pound in Bristol two days ago. I would recommend My sister's keeper, Change of heart and a few others by her. Not too heavy but good enough to keep you interested. Dd.

Hey DD,

I agree with you. David Pelzer's stories were so moving. I didn't realize his brother worte as well.

Tuesday's with Morrie. Love it. Did you see the movie with Jack Lemon? Seems like Mitch Album has another book out, might be a kids book.

I haven't been able to concentrate well enough to read a book. I remember when that started to happen and I would have to go back a few pages. I read "The Art of Happiness" which is a book you can just open anywhere and start reading.

I do have the Hunger Games series by my bed compliments of my son who loved them! So as I get my concentration back, I will probably start there. That or 50 shades. :)

I love the smell of books! :smitten:

Thanks to Zeek I'm nearly half way through 11/22/63 and just love it!

Very atmospheric, isn't it.

Bad bz flu yesterday, so got to almost finish Winter of the World. In spite of the heavy subject matter, it's very readable with engagincharacters, although naturally has to use the Reader's Digest version of world history.

I happily read Picoult, she generally manages not to be too puplr in her writing about emotional issues.

I'm afraid that I just don't get 50 Shades, at all.

ihope, I just ordered the first book of the trilogy that 'Winter' is in. Sounds very good, I do love historical fiction. I will wait for 'Winter' to be available in paperback, used.  :thumbsup:

M.

They are a serious sized tome.  I am not as orderly as you & haven't read the first volume but will start it after Winter, now I know I like Follet's writing.

Truthfully, having read Follet for decades, I now believe (firmly) that others in the publishing house write in his name. I read a novel years ago about this practice among the best selling authors, and it really rings true of Follet!

Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the stuff though!!

M.  :D

Interesting, will keep an eye out for stylistic differences.  Its true that he's very prolific for one author, without degenerating to Barbra Cartland, ( hope Im not offending anyone).

Sandra Dallas has numerous historical fiction stories.  Fantastic reads!

For Steinbeck fans Travels with Charlie was wonderful.

Jane Austin and the Darcy spinoffs are always fun and amusing also.

A Walk in the woods by Bill Bryson is a witty and informative story about the appalation trail.

These are just a few of my favorites. I also love the smell of books and actually salivate when I get a new book :laugh:

I have always dreamed of owning a book store-quaint and cozy- not a franchise ::)

The first thing I do when I get a new book is bury my nose in it! And then I do it on and off as I read it. I love the smell of the paper, the ink and the binding. Yum.

Sadly, there are so few book stores left.  :'(

I will never use a kindle type reader.

M.  :)

The first thing I do when I get a new book is bury my nose in it! And then I do it on and off as I read it. I love the smell of the paper, the ink and the binding. Yum.

Sadly, there are so few book stores left.  :'(

I will never use a kindle type reader.

M.  :)

I won't either.  I like my computer for things only it can do, but when it comes to books, I want print on paper!

Yes, I agree that tactile experience of just holding a book is comforting.  in the late sixties, I used to walk the length of Charing Cross road in London, in and out of the book shops, not buying much most of the time, but just being there was enough. I once saw Bertrand Russell there too, I wonder what he would think of the Kindle?  ".........................

A great  US poet laureate to check out is Billy Collins

David,

How I envy you. Being in London in the sixties would of been awesome.

One of my favorite movies was 84 Charing Cross Road with Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft, it revolves around a very old bookstore on Charing Cross Road, great movie.  Anyone who loves old books would love this movie.  Just thought I would throw that in ;D

Yes, I read that book a few months ago. Haven't seen the movie though. An education is also a good read, and the movie is good too, quite atmospheric!

"There will still be things that machines cannot do. They will not produce great art or great literature or great philosophy; they will not be able to discover the secret springs of happiness in the human heart; they will know nothing of love and friendship.”

Bertrand Russell

That's the closest I could come to finding out what Bertrand Russell would think of the Kindle.  :laugh:  Doesn't really apply I guess, but it gives an idea of what he thought about gadgetry.

Renny, I saw that movie, it must have been in the last several years because it comes to my mind through the fog. I remember I loved it, it warmed my heart. Made me tear up. I need to see it again though, too little memory of it.  :-\

Thank you for bringing it up!

M.  ;D