Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

If you quit drinking how did you do it ????

[je...]

I was hoping to get some insight into this.  If you have quit drinking how did you do it?  AA or on your own?  I've noticed a lot of people on here in recovery and would welcome any advice.  Jess

I was on high doses of Ativan and Vicodin when I basically quit ct.  Probably why the detox wasn't too harsh.  Not a recommended method ...... Duh ;). I've known many friends and family members that have had tremendous success with AA though..........

Peace :)

Live

I haven't drank for about 6 months, maybe a little longer.  It was pretty easy to quit..I hope I don't offend anyone when I say this but alcohol is not a very addictive drug, compared to other things like nicotine or even benzos.  I think that pharmacologically, the addiction potential just isn't as bad as other drugs.  With that being said, some people still struggle to quit it.  For me, it was giving me worse insomnia so I just had to tell myself that giving up the thrill of drinking was worth it cause I couldn't carry on with the insomnia and it was destroying my life..it just wasn't worth it anymore.  Someday I want to drink again but not for a while.

Hi

You probably heard this before. But I will go on anyway. First you have to REALLY want to quit drinking, if this is what you want, then it would be better for you to have a support group, but it all comes down to what you want to do with your life, quit, die or go crazy from alcohol. There are many groups out there to help,  not just AA but others that don't have roots in religion if this puts you off. Check out the internet and also talk to your doctor. It's up to you and of course folks will give you a helping hand when you need one. Take care David

Thanks everyone for the replies and it is good to know that people do just stop and I think your all right in saying it depends on how bad you want to do it. 

I think it depends partially on your genetic predisposition. My life problems got so bad that I just can't drink anymore. Too much of downward slope. I see people drinking socially and I think..man, how do they get to do that?

Some people just don't have the same capacity to get addicted.

I think identifying that it's a problem is your first step.

And then I think it takes a ton of determination.

I think recovering addicts are amazing people because it takes so much. I think one benefit from having to recover is that you really have to face your problems.

Also I think AA is a terrific idea. It seems to help tremendously to have people who understand what it is you are going through and to share and support one another.

I didn't have enough of a problem that I had to go to AA.

So I'm not sure how they do it.

I think the best way is to get into a programs for people who are going through it so that you can be there and ask them that question yourself.

Also people that I've known who had serious problems, they could not do it on their own. I've known many people who tried and tried and it wasn't until they joined a group or got into recovery that they were able to finally really quit.

Thanks Goto.. Some food for thought.  I've been staying sober out of pure misery.  Hangovers began to equal anxiety.  We will see how I do but if not AA may be an option.  I have nothing against the higher power thing. 

Hi, yes, I would say I got angry when I had to stop drinking, however it went away after a while, it may take a little time, but you most definitely will feel better from not drinking. Let's face it you can cope with a little angry, better than the misery we put ourselves through with John barleycorn.  Please let me know how things work. Take care David  :thumbsup:

Hey Jessica-  I still get angry...... I especially loved wine with dinner, if it would've stopped at 2 glasses....... I wouldn't have quit........ Part of it is the ritual I guess of drinking..... Comforting etc...... Some trade tea or some other beverage for it.......

You can do it........ IMHO easier, so much easier, than getting off the Bs.......

Good luck and peace to you,

Live

Hi Jess

Yes, I agree with Live,  those glasses or when with a meal were a great delight, it was the ten after it that were not. I don't know if you exercise but I found this a good way to distract me from the booze and it's also great for those of us who suffer depression. I usually go out with the dog and Ipod in  the hills were I live west of Tokyo. Good luck and be kind to yourself! David :thumbsup:

It depends if you want to simply "put the plug in the jug" or be sober. there is a difference in my opinion. .Anyone can stop drinking, but it takes work to work a 12 step program and be truly "sober." AA is amazing. I stopped my nightly wine drinking then started tapering two weeks later. Its been a true gift to be sober. Scary as all get out, lol, but a gift.

You are all so awesome.  Thank you for the responses.  I have been doing well with not drinking but then today is friday so its my first weekend without it.  I agree about being sober versus being in recovery.  Not sure where I am with that yet... I can relate to what everyone said.... Thank you all soooo much

Some folks need to go to AA and it works for them. :thumbsup: Personnally, I decided to quit and I just stopped drinking, I am sober and have been for over 3 yrs. Yes, in the beginning, in social situations I did miss a glass of wine or 4 or 10 but now I am comfortable without it in my life and never even think about it any more. I was tired of embarrassing myself infront of family members or strangers, hated how I felt from daily drinking and realized I only had so many brain cells left and needed to save them for my old age :) I know  it was probably easier for me  as I was taking2  benzos at the time. I also knew deep down that my drug and alcohol use combined could accidently kill me and that I was just fortunate I was still alive, so quit :thumbsup:

Ladygrace, I am starting to see that it is causing major problems with me.  I have not gone to AA recently but, have in the past so it is still up in the air for me.  I am more of a one day a week binge drinker and had abstained with no issue during acute wd from my first massive cut.  However, once i started feeling even the least bit better I drank again and like you said I dont stop with two drinks.  I am really worried about tonight because normally Fridays are when I drink.  I am attempting first to just quit as you put  it.  If I cant then I suppose I will have to explore other options like AA.  Yay for you on 3 years sober.  Any tips? Jess

Hi Jessicarabbit, at the beginning I needed to avoid social situations that involved drinking, you can make excuses for awhile but eventually you run out of them  and just have to be around social drinkers, its what we do in our society. It was doubly hard for me as I have a husband that is a very heavy drinker , alcoholic actually, and there is always beer around and wine when he feels like drinking it and  he never once took  my sobriety into account at all.

I now have gone on many trips, vacations, parties, weddings etc and I am fine.

I do have friends that have asked me why I quit and why I don't drink, I just turn it around and ask them why they DO drink, and when they give me any kind of answer, oh I need to relax, it helps me socialize, I just tell them , well I no longer need alcohol to do those types of things, I manage just fine without it.

I also think that if you want something bad enough you can make it happen, my brain and body have thanked me for it over and over again. I truly love being sober and now drug free, its an amazing feeling, but I also understand addiction and know that for some no matter how hard you want it and try it might never happen :(

• 2 weeks later...

I went to AA and 3 months later i was much happier.

I understand so much more about living better and AA had what i was looking for.

20 months later, i rarely think of a drink these days and i cannot wait to get back to meetings.

Oscar

Hi Jess.

So honestly when I stopped drinking, that was probably one of the easier pieces of "getting better". I used to be a fairly heavy drinker (college student...bleh) I had been drinking from about the age of 17, with periods of on and off. I didn't really believe I had a problem, or could at my age assuming everyone else did. However, when I found myself drinking 5 nights a week because I was not wanting to face my reality...well, you know. I haven't have a drink in probably a month and a half, or about two weeks into my Benzo use. Honestly it just starting making me feel so much more awful when I was sober, and I knew how dangerous it was. For me I just had to say enough. I have alcoholics all over my family line, and it took the knowledge of knowing how I wanted to wind up. Also, reading about how drinking can slow down recovery keeps me in a frame of mind to stay sober. Although I've definitely had my nights where I wish with all my soul for a temporary out, I know I'll just feel worse in the morning. You can do it girl!

Alcohol has never been a choice substance for me, but I'd say that if you're struggling to stop drinking and haven't given AA a go, you should give it a go. It's not for everyone, but it works well for a lot of people.

Hi

Must say I tottally agree with Spengler, It will help you to come to admit that you really do think that you have a problem, then you can take whatever way you like from there. AA will give you buckets of support. Take care Dd.

One other comment about AA/NA: different groups/meetings have a large degree of autonomy, and can be very different from one another. If the first meeting you go to really rubs you the wrong way for some reason, it doesn't mean 12-step is a bad idea as much as it means you should try a different meeting/group. Overall I think AA tends to be a bit more dogmatic and theological than NA, so if religion really turns you off you might want to start with NA.

• 3 months later...

The best advice I ever saw (if "advice" is what you'd call it) on this topic was from fellow Cracked contributor John Cheese: http://www.cracked.com/article_18824_5-things-nobody-tells-you-about-quitting-drinking.html

(And on that note: I've been kicking around the idea of a Cracked Topics page on benzos, so if anyone has any ideas how to make that funny feel free to PM them to me.)