Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Lets have a vote Obama or Romney?

[ho...]

I guess I meant 'warp' in the sense of 'turning' or 'twisting'. Not in a derogatory way.

I think who you vote for indicates a certain set of values.

We in Australia are bombarded with election news from the US so we are pretty knowledgeable about who stands for what.

I was just surprised by a couple of answers by people I thought I sort of 'knew'. I'm not saying I wouldn't like them any more.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ne...]

• [Wi...]

• [ho...]

• [...]

Xana you are absolutely correct.  Your statements speak volumes about your values.  You are also very lucky to live in a country whose Medicare program offers cradle-to-grave health care for all of it's citizens.

Thank you WWWI! I was almost afraid of opening this thread again.  :-\

Glad you understand where I am coming from.

I think we are lucky in Australia. You wouldn't think so if you saw all the complaining that happens. However when you compare our system with others, I think we are pretty well off.

American politics is a great lesson for us in Oz as to what can happen when undue political influence can be purchased behind closed doors. Unforunately, we are running up our own list of high offenders in this regard.

Hi everybody,

You will see that I posted a request some pages back that this thread stays away from political discussion and just remains as a one word vote.  It is against the rules to bring political discussion to the forum.  Also, it invariably raises testy discussions that from history tend to become heated. Please can we get this thread back on track. The forum rules below for you to read.

Thank you.

Betsy

Do not use this community to promote or proselytize a specific religious and/or political viewpoint.  Do not denigrate a specific religious and/or political viewpoint nor denigrate a specific ethnicity or culture.  We are a support group and do not condone prejudice in any form. 

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9681.msg124366#msg124366

Xana, perhaps you misunderstood me. I support Obama.  This is as a result of having experienced the prior administration and all the damage that was done as a result. I won't survive a repeat performance.  As impossible as it is for some to understand my perspective, I am equally baffled by those who seem to support policies that are not in their own best interest.  If one is a millionaire who lives off of capital gains, I get it, however for all others to me it's nonsensical.

Sorry I started this .You probably should take it down now Betsy.

Honeym, :)

You have no reason to be sorry.  Many folks are very interested, as well they should be, when it come to electing a president.  Folks, please give honeym her due respect, and kindly state your presidential choice, minus any comments. 

Sorry I started this .You probably should take it down now Betsy.

honeym,

Please do not worry.  You have done nothing wrong.

To all members.

If you plan to post on this thread going forwards please only make it a one name vote.  I have posted the rules and I ask that you refrain from flouting them.  If members continue to make this a discussion I will suggest that restrictions are placed on the offending members' accounts.

Thank you.

Betsy

It feels like my choice this year is between one guy who's a center-right corporate shill and another guy who's a center-right corporate shill.

That said, I believe one of the two is clearly smarter and less terrible.

As impossible as it is for some to understand my perspective' date=' I am equally baffled by those who seem to support policies that are not in their own best interest.[/quote']

The people who support policies that are in my own best interest aren't on the ballet, not by a long shot. It's a rigged game.

Election years always remind me of this sequence from the Hitchhiker's Guide books:

[An extraterrestrial robot and spaceship has just landed on earth. The robot steps out of the spaceship...]

"I come in peace," it said, adding after a long moment of further grinding, "take me to your Lizard."

Ford Prefect, of course, had an explanation for this, as he sat with Arthur and watched the nonstop frenetic news reports on television, none of which had anything to say other than to record that the thing had done this amount of damage which was valued at that amount of billions of pounds and had killed this totally other number of people, and then say it again, because the robot was doing nothing more than standing there, swaying very slightly, and emitting short incomprehensible error messages.

"It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see..."

"You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"

"No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like to straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."

"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."

"I did," said ford. "It is."

"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"

"It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."

"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"

"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."

"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"

"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?"

"What?"

"I said," said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, "have you got any gin?"

"I'll look. Tell me about the lizards."

Ford shrugged again.

"Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happened to them," he said. "They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it."

Excellent points Spengler.  Sad but good analogous story. 

I still feel in my heart of hearts, I'm voting for the guy who I'm hoping is going to hurt me the least. That's my ultimate criteria. Sad, sad, sad.