Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Swelling all over the body?

[pi...]

Since my fast detox 4 months ago from Klonopin among many other withdrawal symptoms, I have gotten swelling all over my body which is progressively getting worse.

I feel like a blimp now!  My skin feels all stretched out.  I look 7 months pregnant. My hands are so swollen, I can hardly move my fingers.

I have not heard much about this symptom.  Is it w/d ?  Anyone else feeling the same?  Has anything helped to diminish this symptom?

Thank you.

I have heard of, and seen, swollen extremities but not full body swelling. It probably is withdrawal, but I would check with your doctor. There are probebly some lab tests to do.

Hi tortoise,

Thanks for your reply.

So far, I have seen a Rheumatologist and Cardiologist who could not find anything wrong. 

I am assuming that it is w/d since it started since my detox.  I just don't know how this ties in with Neurological problems.

Hi tortoise,

I'm still tapering, but I'm experiencing the whole body swelling just as you described. It's been going on for months now, doctor has run all kinds of tests and everything checks out fine.

I'm not gaining weight, but all my clothes are extremely tight....very frustrating for sure. Just wanted you to know that you're not alone.

Take Care,

RG

I feel swollen,too. My stomach swells as soon as I eat two bites. No one woulda believe it unless they lived it!

My feet swell and vibrate, too.

The way I understand this is there are pheriphial benzo receptors throughout the body. This doesn't just affect the brain. In fact, the gut is just full of benzo receptors. When I get up in the morning, my stomach is usually fairly flat. Then by mid morning it's swollen and bloaty looking.

My hands are swollen and the tendons are contracted, making my fingers crooked and bent. Muscle tone is just shot. Things are hanging that used to be firm. I have no idea when or if this goes away.

Some of my tests have come back positive for different things like autoimmune disorders but nothing is definitive. This isn't to say every single thing that happens to us is benzo related. I take BP meds, because even if benzos cause elevated BP, it cannot go unchecked or treated.

Things are hanging that used to be firm.

EXACTLY. My weight has not changed much (went down by a few kg last year and now is back to its 'normal') but certain areas are looser and uglier. I hate it. I think my belly might be a Benzobuddie Belly, rather than a Benzo Belly. Sitting at the computer with bad posture for hours every day can't be good. That doesn't explain the upper arm issue though. :o

Any ideas?

Xana

I KNOW, Xana. Yikes - the upper arms!!!, what's up with that? My sister is two years older and she didn't just suddenly get flabby, loose, hangy down upper arms. I almost wish I would have had someone do a time lapse photo because it seems my body had changed almost overnight.

I wonder if we get it back?

:smitten:

Flip

The way I understand this is there are pheriphial benzo receptors throughout the body. This doesn't just affect the brain. In fact, the gut is just full of benzo receptors. When I get up in the morning, my stomach is usually fairly flat. Then by mid morning it's swollen and bloaty looking.

My hands are swollen and the tendons are contracted, making my fingers crooked and bent. Muscle tone is just shot. Things are hanging that used to be firm. I have no idea when or if this goes away.

Some of my tests have come back positive for different things like autoimmune disorders but nothing is definitive. This isn't to say every single thing that happens to us is benzo related. I take BP meds, because even if benzos cause elevated BP, it cannot go unchecked or treated.

Thanks for sharing this. The fingers on my right hand are pulled tight to the right. I cant hold my fingers up straight as it hurts. WHen I was years into using klon my left hand fingers curled up and I still have a hard time leaving them open. The docs had no idea what it was. I assume both are benzo related.

You're the first one I've found, Recovering who has a bent or curled finger issue. It's really unnerving.

Last week, they told me I had Dupuytrens Contracture. I'm 58, and it's slowly progressing so maybe I'll die before it gets too bad.  :-\

I KNOW, Xana. Yikes - the upper arms!!!, what's up with that? My sister is two years older and she didn't just suddenly get flabby, loose, hangy down upper arms. I almost wish I would have had someone do a time lapse photo because it seems my body had changed almost overnight.

The upper arms.  :'( I always thought they were fat but they were evenly fat. Now some of the fat seems to have shifted upwards and sleeves that once looked OK now don't. I don't think this can be remedied by physio though a physiotherapist told me it could. And I'd be too scared of surgery. You are right - it has happened so fast - like a year. It's horrible. I'm glad you brought this topic up. At least I am not the only one!

Xana

Thanks everyone for your replies here.

I'm sorry that you are experiencing this too!

I too have only gained a couple of lbs but had to go get new clothes in a bigger size.  I feel like a blimp!

My left hand is much more swollen than my right.  It looks totally deformed.  It's very disturbing and I can hardly move my fingers.

My doctors have no idea what it is.  My Rheumatologist ran some lab tests and everything came back normal.

I wish I would know what is causing this.  I thought all withdrawal symptoms are neurological in nature yet, this one doesn't seem to be. Is it?

Does it ever go away? That's a great question.  I wish I would know.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Jo...]
    • [Mt...]
    • [ra...]
    • [2c...]
    • [an...]
    • [bi...]
    • [...]
    • [Re...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gr...]
    • [El...]