Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

If the World Were a Village of 100 People

[Be...]

I first saw something like this in 1990.  The following version was updated as of 2005.

If we could reduce the world’s population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all existing human ratios remaining the same, the demographics would look something like this:

The village would have 60 Asians, 14 Africans, 12 Europeans, 8 Latin Americans, 5 from the USA and Canada, and 1 from the South Pacific

51 would be male, 49 would be female

82 would be non-white; 18 white

67 would be non-Christian; 33 would be Christian

80 would live in substandard housing

67 would be unable to read

50 would be malnourished and 1 dying of starvation

33 would be without access to a safe water supply

39 would lack access to improved sanitation

24 would not have any electricity (And of the 76 that do

have electricity, most would only use it for light at night.)

7 people would have access to the Internet

1 would have a college education

1 would have HIV

2 would be near birth; 1 near death

5 would control 32% of the entire world’s wealth; all 5 would be US citizens

33 would be receiving --and attempting to live on-- only 3% of the income of “the village”

Another version is on youtube. There are some additional statistics and the "Mad World" sound track plus photographs make it even more compelling IMO.

I always thought it was interesting to see what emotions each statistic brought up......whenever I read this......I realize what a Xenophobe I am still( which I find frustrating in myself)........and second just how lucky I am, with all I have....then guilt.....Interesting Stuff! :thumbsup:

[move] :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o[/move]

VERY EYE OPENING!! I've never read anything like this before. Thanks for posting it, Beeper...

Lori :smitten:

This year, a milestone for civilization was reached.  There are now more people living in urban environments than rural.  Until this year, over half the world's population of humans still lived out in the country.  Now, slightly more than 1/2 of the population live in cities...

My opinion to those that feel guilty, is that you don't. That feeling do not help anyone and cause anxiety, frustration and pain. We should think positive. All of us can do something to mitigate the situation in this small village: BLUE PLANET. For insignficant that our actions may appear to be, they count, all of us can do something.

It is interesting and useful to try to understand why things are the way they are, depicted in this very interesting fashion, brought to us by Beeper. The answer is not easy at all. A lot of things have to be taken into consideration. The one that feel xenophobic, it is good to remind you that 2 000 generations ago, all of us were relatives (see www. nationalgeographic.com/genogeography), coming from East Africa. I do not intend to hurt the feelings of those that belive in Creationism.

I was going to write something in Off-topic, but I have to go, I will do it next time.

Wish all of you HAPPY HOLIDAYS. :);)

My opinion to those that feel guilty, is that you don't. That feeling do not help anyone and cause anxiety, frustration and pain. We should think positive. All of us can do something to mitigate the situation in this small village: BLUE PLANET. For insignficant that our actions may appear to be, they count, all of us can do something.

It is interesting and useful to try to understand why things are the way they are, depicted in this very interesting fashion, brought to us by Beeper. The answer is not easy at all. A lot of things have to be taken into consideration. The one that feel xenophobic, it is good to remind you that 2 000 generations ago, all of us were relatives (see www. nationalgeographic.com/genogeography), coming from East Africa. I do not intend to hurt the feelings of those that belive in Creationism.

I was going to write something in Off-topic, but I have to go, I will do it next time.

All very thoughtful points, Serg. Happy Holidays to you too!  ;)

There is a fascinating documentary called "The Real Eve" that is about just that! The East Africa connection. Really astounding when you think of it that way! :yippee:

I do not intend to hurt the feelings of those that belive in Creationism.

Oh, I know you'd never hurt my feelings for the world, Sergio. You're too nice a person to ever do that...... :)

Happy Christmas, dear one.... :smitten:

Phenotypes in all species can drastically change in few generations, either by adapting to new environmental conditions or to simple genetic manipulations by humans. An example is the diverse breeds of dogs, from a Gran Dane to a Chihuahua, all have a common ancestor: the Wolf. :yippee:

SEASON'S GREETINGS. :)

I actually had to look up what Xenophobe meant. I'm curious as to why someone would dislike/or fear someone from another country. Is it based on different beliefs, or just because. I wish everyone could just get along. But I don't think that's ever going to happen. It's to bad because here we are supposed the richest country and look what greed has done for us. Maybe we could learn something from others as they could from us.

Hello haljes:

It is very nice to hear from you. Very good point you made in your post. I would like to give some ideas that may be useful; it is only my point of view, very personal.

Anthropological and sociological studies, from a historical perspective, have shown than different ethnic groups have stated that they are the chosen people: Jews, Japanese, Aztec, Mayans, Incas, and so on. Also they say that  with more or less degree all of us are xenophobic, which is highly correlated with discrimination: to race, culture, religion gender, even to disable persons. My personal opinion is that we have to learn to be tolerant to others and do not try to impose our way of thinking. Always avoid fanaticism, it is dangerous. Diversity is a fact of life and enriches our lives. Western civilisation is not the end of human evolution. Societies are dynamic and ever changing.

SEASON'S GREETINGS. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I first saw something like this in 1990.  The following version was updated as of 2005.

If we could reduce the world’s population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all existing human ratios remaining the same, the demographics would look something like this:

The village would have 60 Asians, 14 Africans, 12 Europeans, 8 Latin Americans, 5 from the USA and Canada, and 1 from the South Pacific

1 would have HIV

33 would be receiving --and attempting to live on-- only 3% of the income of “the village”

Another version is on youtube. There are some additional statistics and the "Mad World" sound track plus photographs make it even more compelling IMO.

More on the same theme...

You Are Blessed

If you woke up this morning

with more health than illness,

you are more blessed than the

million who won't survive the week.

If you have never experienced

the danger of battle,

the loneliness of imprisonment,

the agony of torture or

the pangs of starvation,

you are ahead of 20 million people

around the world.

If you attend a church meeting

without fear of harassment,

arrest, torture, or death,

you are more blessed than almost

three billion people in the world.

If you have food in your refrigerator,

clothes on your back, a roof over

your head and a place to sleep,

you are richer than 75% of this world.

If you have money in the bank,

in your wallet, and spare change

in a dish someplace, you are among

the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

If you hold up your head with a smile

on your face and are truly thankful,

you are blessed because the majority can,

but most do not.

If you can read this message,

you are more blessed than over

two billion people in the world

that cannot read anything at all.

You are so blessed in ways

you may never even know.

• 5 years later...

I'm wondering how many from those 100 people would  have been on psych drugs and how many of them would have been in withdrawal..... :idiot: :idiot: :idiot: :idiot: :crazy:

1 would have HIV

you left this out, how many in the 100 people village would be homosexual? around 10? or 15?

1 would have HIV

you left this out, how many in the 100 people village would be homosexual? around 10? or 15?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

how many pastors among 100 people? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

how many Mr.Greys? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: