Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Do hidden opiates in our food explain food addictions?

[La...]

An interesting article on hidden food opiates.

Food addictions are not strictly psychological problems but have a hard wired organic component. Many of the most commonly consumed foods in western culture actually contain narcotic properties associated with the presence of psychoactive chemicals that bind to opiate receptors in the nervous system. These peptides are so powerful that researchers block their action with with a drug know as naloxone which is used to treat addicted heroin abusers and can even prevent death from herion overdose.

These food opiates are highly concentrated in wheat and dairy products, especially cows milk.

Wheat contains opiate peptides known as gluten exorphins.

Food opiates are widely distributed throughout our diet .

Fructose, while not an opioid peptide is known to increase brain levels of endogenous morphine and produces metabolic products in the brain very similar to those produced by morphine.

In fact it has been identified to stimulate the "hedonic pathway" in the brain.

Some other food opiates,

Spinach, contains 2 opiate peptides

Coffee, oil known as Cafestrol which is in both caffeinated and decaffeinated contains potent morphine like activity.

Rice protein

Meat and fish protein..

Chocolate, 

This is food for thought, pun intended, an interesting article on food addictions.

Hi, it  comes from a website called wake up world, I have no idea how to provide a link but it is not a commercial link, if you wish you could deactivate it :)

The reason for my question is that when members read things such as what you posted, they like to know the source. I'm afraid I don't have time to find the source myself.

If you go to the online article, you can just copy and paste the url to the article on this thread.