Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Banned for spamming too many kitty pics

[...]

Mike so if you visit any site online your ip address is visible to the site owner?  So every time Xana or anyone else has visited the site that shall remain unnamed our ip addresses can be seen.  What is a proxy server anyway I know i sound backwards well we kind of are down here haha.

Yes.

When you go to this site, http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html 'click' Your Calling Card without Anonymouse  and then Your Calling Card with Anonymouse you'll see what I mean. This is just one of many proxy servers out there.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ho...]

• [...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

[9c...]
Thanks so much for that Mike. I've been there heaps of times. So if they have your IP address what can they do with it?

Thanks so much for that Mike. I've been there heaps of times. So if they have your IP address what can they do with it?

Hi Xana,

To my knowledge there isn't anything they can do, other then what I said earlier, they will only know who your provider is. Try not to worry.

[5e...]

You thinking pizza delivery? 

thanks Mike for clearing things up I didnt know about that.

Lizzy

[81...]

Hi Xana,

To my knowledge there isn't anything they can do, other then what I said earlier, they will only know who your provider is. Try not to worry.

Allow me to preface this answer with the fact that I do not believe that the blogger has the skills to do any of this. However, it is technically possible that's once an individual has your ip address a Denial of Service attack could be performed. (More information on denial of service attacks from wikipedia).

Additionally depending on whether or not you have a firewall, a router and keep up-to-date on your software and operating system updates and patches, it is feasible that a vulnerability on your system could be discovered which would allow remote access.

Again, please note I really do not believe that the blogger is capable of performing any of these attacks and if he were, he would be in serious violation of a number of computer misuse acts and could be sent to prison.

As BYBYMATRIX said, "Try not to worry."

Jack Sparrow

The larger picture is that the blogger had been given all the personal information on many, if not all the members of BE, by the same people who are likely running the new forum.

The likelihood that the blogger could do anything with an ip is low (although we suggest you not visit the blog or do so via proxy) however, if given the kind of information you need to provide to register with any forum, he would potentially learn much more about you. This includes information on family members...etc. You'd be surprised what he could learn from an email address.

The people running the new forum have targeted this forum and it's members many times. If you register with that forum, you are at risk.

All of our team members are thoroughly vetted via the real world (I won't go into detail). We know who each of our team members are. I'm willing to bet the same is not true of the other forum. You have no idea who you are handing your personal information to.

Please be very careful.

[9c...]

Thanks for that, Jack Sparrow. I won't worry. I have been checking up there for ages since someone alerted me to the site having some of my posts in the closing days of TRAP. That was when I learnt of its existence.

Hope, I will be careful of giving personal information anywhere.

I tend to take people at face value. It isn't pleasant to have to be wary of others. Who would have thought the world of benzo withdrawal forums would involve such intrigue. I am quite amazed (and appalled) by it all!

Xana

Hi all,

I don't wish to go quite as far as Hope in my comments/assessment, but reading between the lines of my last post, of course you might determine that I have similar concerns. What is certain is that at least one member of the new forum's team is an active participant at the abusive blog, and friend to the blogger.

To elaborate upon ByByMatrix's comments: if you visit he blog, the blogger can potentially cross-reference your IP address with another database (say, from a friendly forum owner - past or present), and from that learn your e-mail address, and maybe your real name (if you used it in your membership name). Additionally, if you shared any personal information in posts or PMs, this could be used too.

The combination of your IP address and real name (or e-mail address containing your real name) might be all that's needed, since most IP addresses relate to smaller locations. Knowing that your name is 'John Smith' is probably of little significance alone, but combined with an IP address that resolves to a small town might be very significant in identifying you.

So, by simply visiting the blog, you might bring yourself to the attention of the blogger. If you comment there, you certainly will.

I do not know who owns the new forum. However, from WharfRat's comments, it is obvious that many of those close to Donna from the old forum are involved there. As far as I know, only WharfRat and Donna (from the team at BE) participated at the abusive blog. However, both of them had hidden this fact, and in particular, Donna lied about her involvement there.

It would be nice to know the identity of the owner of the new forum, but it might not be the helpful in allaying fears. After all, the owner chose to involve an active participant to the blog in the highest reaches of their forum, and it is highly likely that they are friendly to Donna too. Certainly, the abusive blogger is friendly to the new forum. I guess it is possible that some might feel safe joining there, under the threat that they will be exposed only if they anger the wrong person. It seems that this is what the owner there is relying upon. This is what Donna relied upon - it didn't work out too well though.

I don't wish to go quite as far as Hope in my comments/assessment' date=' but reading between the lines of my last post, of course you might determine that I have similar concerns. What is certain is that at least one member of the new forum's team is an active participant at the abusive blog, and friend to the blogger.[/quote']

To be clear to all, these are my thoughts and opinions based on my own knowledge and suppositions. Whether my assessment is a slam dunk or not, the point is...be careful. Although it would be nice if WR would let us know who owns the new forum. Then all would be clear.

Btw, this advice is not just about abusive blogs or forums, many of the tips and cautions we've stated here are good general information regarding the internet as a whole. One should always guard their personal information very carefully.

I don't wish to go quite as far as Hope in my comments/assessment' date=' but reading between the lines of my last post, of course you might determine that I have similar concerns. What is certain is that at least one member of the new forum's team is an active participant at the abusive blog, and friend to the blogger.[/quote']

To be clear to all, these are my thoughts and opinions based on my own knowledge and suppositions. Whether my assessment is a slam dunk or not, the point is...be careful. Although it would be nice if WR would let us know who owns the new forum. Then all would be clear.

Btw, this advice is not just about abusive blogs or forums, many of the tips and cautions we've stated here are good general information regarding the internet as a whole. One should always guard their personal information very carefully.

In my view Hope, at the very least, the new owner has demonstrated terrible judgement in appointing WharfRat as Admin. Of course, the owner's identity being kept secret does not help, and the fact that the new blog is not attacked by the blogger, only serves to demonstrate some kind of association or understanding.

As you pointed out a couple of days ago, the problem is the lack of transparency for new members there. We are forced into some speculation, but there are some undeniable very troubling facts too.

In my view Hope, at the very least, the new owner has demonstrated terrible judgement in appointing WharfRat as Admin. Of course, the owner's identity being kept secret does not help, and the fact that the new blog is not attacked by the blogger, only serves to demonstrate some kind of association or understanding.

As you pointed out a couple of days ago, the problem is the lack of transparency for new members there. We are forced into some speculation, but there are some undeniable very troubling facts too.

I agree completely.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.  ???

It's 100 degrees and I want to put a sweater on that's so chilling. I don't know how anyone is supposed to feel comfortable posting here.

It's 100 degrees and I want to put a sweater on that's so chilling. I don't know how anyone is supposed to feel comfortable posting here.

As we stress often, if you stay anonymous (don't put any personal information on the forum). And you don't share your contact details with anyone on the forum via PM (you never know who you're really in contact with), then you can continue to post your questions, find answers and get support from this community, goto.  No one knows who you are here if you've kept your personal information private.

The problems arise when people become sloppy about their personal information on the forum. If you post your email address or home address or phone number..that can be a problem. If you give a member any personal information in a PM, you may well have given that information to the wrong person.

This forum is as safe as it can be. We have a wonderful team and a great development team that make very sure of that. As long as you keep your personal information to yourself, and we continue to take the security of this forum very seriously, there is no danger.

I understand no one wants to be featured on the blog we've discussed but if no one knows who you are, it shouldn't have much of an impact on your life. My screen name is regularly featured on this blog. Makes no diff to me. No one knows who I am. He's talking about a pink flower on a computer screen. I couldn't careless.

Are there any lawyers here? Is it legal to publish someone's email like in the case above?

From what I understand, if the information is found on the internet elsewhere, it's not illegal to publish it. (But don't quote me on this. I'd have to look into it further).

However there are a few things you can do;

- you can complain to his webhost about particular abusive content

- there are DMCA take down notices if his content is copyrighted, which some of it is. (His host and site are in the US)

- a defamation claim (although that would take money and time and a lot of energy. I'm not sure he's worth it)

Perhaps those who are more in the know have other, or better ideas.

I've been in touch with a freind (not a lawyer)...who has these thoughts. It might be worth looking into if you wanted to.

Sending an abusive communication to someone (email, PM, etc), could be construed as a criminal matter under the state law where the blogger resides.

"Unlawful use of computerized communication systems"

As for the publishing of personal information, my friend feels it might depend on how he got the information and how he uses it. If he's using it to harass someone that could be something to look into.

You would really need to speak to a lawyer. My freind is just a really smart person...but again, this is NOT legal advice. My friend is NOT a lawyer.

Well,

Someone there is really on top of stuff with this forum.

I posted in the "depression" forum a week or so go about being frustrated (due to me and my doc) about still getting to the taper part (altho that's coming down the road here), and I got 2 responses.

However, I was a lead story the next day on that website. And yesterday, there was some controversy (well handled and put to rest), but it was the lead story verbatim on that website same day.

I really have not looked at this BS more than 5 times since joining BB, but I got interested after reading Colins post late last night. So I "peeked"  and there it was again.

Aside from the fact that this fellow loves stories of depression, anxiety, and controversy, he certainly seems to have a "beeline " on BB. And I suppose, once he finds a person who posts kind of long and in depth, he goes back to see each day what else they may have.

The access and speed are amazing. Could be WRs membership as far as the access. Just real fast, real soon. Strange. Should be illegal to post something written by someone else without permission. Guess it's the anonymous part here he manages to skirt that legal issue.

Intend

Well,

Someone there is really on top of stuff with this forum.

I posted in the "depression" forum a week or so go about being frustrated (due to me and my doc) about still getting to the taper part (altho that's coming down the road here), and I got 2 responses.

However, I was a lead story the next day on that website. And yesterday, there was some controversy (well handled and put to rest), but it was the lead story verbatim on that website same day.

I really have not looked at this BS more than 5 times since joining BB, but I got interested after reading Colins post late last night. So I "peeked"  and there it was again.

Aside from the fact that this fellow loves stories of depression, anxiety, and controversy, he certainly seems to have a "beeline " on BB. And I suppose, once he finds a person who posts kind of long and in depth, he goes back to see each day what else they may have.

The access and speed are amazing. Could be WRs membership as far as the access. Just real fast, real soon. Strange. Should be illegal to post something written by someone else without permission. Guess it's the anonymous part here he manages to skirt that legal issue.

Intend

This is a public forum, Intend. Anyone on the net can read the posts here. Everyone has access. This guy isn't special by any means.

Hope,

I know it's public. I've even seen my own stuff in radiant color when I looked up something awhile back on trouble crossing from X to K.

Perhaps he just googles people (by their "by-lines) to see what interesting stuff is popping up daily.

I'm just expressing a little amazement about how he "bounces" all over the forum from the "depression " one where there aren't as many posts to all the blogs to wherever.

I'm just obviously not as computer savvy as "he" is, and wouldnt know howvto do it. That's all.

Intend

It's obvious to me that you're not sad and pathetic like he is, Intend. He spends his days doing this. Imagine an old man, sitting alone in his basement 18 hours a day going through forum posts so he can post them on his sad little blog with the hope of getting a rise out of someone.

That's not computer savvy. That's just sad.  :-\

Well I agree with that statement, Hope.

I've spent a lot of time recently on BB, and I realize it's a coping skill/technique for this cross I am making right now. The combo of two meds in my system really affects my mind; maybe not others, but it does me.

So, back at the end of May, before this cross, I was off for 3 weeks or longer, and now I'm back on, A LOT. Because this is a difficult time, and it's helping me and I'm getting info.

But real life is always out there for us, so not only is it sad that someone would be on 18 hours a day, but that their idea of focusing on their problems is to focus on others problems for 18 hours per day.

It is not at all healthy for anyone, and the strange, psychedelic look of the website reflects that without doubt.

Intend

The BE site owner gave the abusive blogger all the members personal information.

The first and only time I ever posted this same exact "accusation" on here, I got banned. 

My ip address ended up on the abusive blog, and the only place I used that ip was at BE.

Just saying....

The BE site owner gave the abusive blogger all the members personal information.

The first and only time I ever posted this same exact "accusation" on here, I got banned. 

My ip address ended up on the abusive blog, and the only place I used that ip was at BE.

Just saying....

Hi Hope-fiend,

At that time, Donna still maintained that she was not involved with the blog site. Although we suspected that she was lying, it was not an established fact. Obviously, it's a completely different situation now. Donna admitted to running the NT alias, and I managed to find out for myself that she was also posting there as Military Tanks (I will not disclose exactly how I know (just to frustrate her), but it was through her own silly mistakes).

'NT' and 'Military Tanks' contributed some of most abusive comments to the blog. Sometimes the blogger would post 'specials' from NT - real dirty abusive stuff - as full blog entries, as I'm sure you are aware. The idea that NT (Donna) owned and managed an online benzodiazepine withdrawal support forum is staggering. Of course, WharfRat must be included too. He did not stoop quite to the level of the abusive blogger and Donna, but he did dabble, and remains a staunch supporter of the blog and its most abusive contributors.

[5e...]

hey Colin

How r u?  I have read and reread the last bit of the thread and Im starting to get a clearer picture of how things have been me being new to forums and all but the one thing that I cant work out is and Im just so confused wharfrat (shocking name) best mates with blogger he retains bb membership.  Skyy knows the guy she doesnt I just dont get it.  Shouldnt wharfrat be kicked to the curb as well. 

Lizzy

[0c...]