Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Uh Oh, Another "Miracle Pill" To Die-t For!

[mp...]

A new pill to help fight obesity in adults was just approved for use by the FDA. Of course, it works by altering reactions with receptors in the brain.

Sounds harmless, right? When will people learn, there's no such thing as a free ride when it comes to taking ANY medicine. That doesn't mean we should not take any, it just means we always need to weigh the risks vs. benefits. And we must be fully informed of contra indications for use AND stopping its use.

Here is the article that I saw today:

[nobbc]http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/27/12440533-fda-oks-first-new-weight-loss-pill-in-13-years?lite&ocid=ansmsnbc11[/nobbc]

Edit: commercial link removed

Yes Indeedy!  In three years we will be seeing the old Law Suit Commercials on the tube for this drug.  "If you took Belviq and suffered from seizures, blood clots, heart attack, stroke, hypertension or in rare instances death, please call  the office of Earl 'The Hammer' Shanley for possible compensation.

It will right up there with Redux, which almost killed a friend of mine.

Donna :smitten:

This is just too stupid to believe!! I suspected that there was a reason why we have been bombarded with the news bulletin that  "Big Scary News In America That You Didn't Know: People Are Fatter Than Ever!!" 

I told my mother just last week that I didn't buy this great big new campaign to tell us this Earth shattering thing, I thought there would be some new anti-obesity gimmic that would make us sick coming right aroung the corner! Here it is! Oh Boy.

Oh Pharma and Media, they make such a sweet couple!

M.  :smitten:

Too stupid to believe is right.  I can barely tolerate the BS I hear on television anymore -- advertisements for unnecessary drugs of course , but also medical shows and health "news" alike.  Most of what the latter two deal with just perpetuate established lines of thinking which are based on faulty, outdated or inadequate information, and the idea that popping this or that pill or supplement will somehow solve all of your problems.

This is why I keep trying to watch Dr. Oz, then I run away screaming! Everyday there's several "miracle supplements".

You know there are thousands upon thousands of people (mostly women) running out to buy, or clicking away on the key board to order all this trash. Disgusting.

M.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.  At first I liked the show because it seemed to offer ideas for "natural" health solutions.  Then it became one essentially pill or tea after another, I mean out of control.  And those ridiculous graphics.  How about giving us some real information?  What about examining just what the so-called studies on these supplements mean, if anything.  I guess that wouldn't sell.

Locally, The Dr. Oz show is sponsored by a regional health food store.  I have to admit getting sucked in, and looking for "cacao nibs" which are supposed to be better for you than chocolate and 'kick-start your metabolism' how many times have I heard that phrase?).  The store even has these little stickers on featured items which say "Dr OZ approved" as if that means anything!  Beyond that the focus on weight loss on his show is just intolerable, and all of the ridiculous solutions from every fly-by-night "expert" is, you're right, disgusting.