Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

is BPD a REAL disorder?

[a6...]

[a6...]

I was just doing some reading online and came across this disorder, and I dont see how it can even be a disorder more like the way you react after a hard life???? I dont know though, I feel like I can relate and the symptoms listed match some of the thoughts and things I do...anyone that has insight please reply :)

Jane

[a6...]

I was just doing some reading online and came across this disorder, and I dont see how it can even be a disorder more like the way you react after a hard life???? I dont know though, I feel like I can relate and the symptoms listed match some of the thoughts and things I do...anyone that has insight please reply :)

Jane

I think that we have to have a label for everything nowadays...?

Hi Jane-Bipolar disorder is definitely real, but it varies in people.  Sometimes people experience extreme highs and lows.  They can go for days and days without sleep and feel very happy, almost like they are on speed.  Then they crash and become extremely depressed.  In other cases people can feel really happy one minute and then crying the next.  After working on a psych unit I saw some really interesting cases.  However, it can be managed with medication and patient can live a normal life. 

Did you mean Borderline Personality Disorder?

I think it is in response to abuse. I dont think our brains "magically" have something amiss that causes that type of behavior.

But that is just my very humble opinion.

I have trouble with most labels.

[a6...]
^ EXACTALLY!!! I think therapy can help these people. Its circumstancial like PTSD in my opinion. Ugh, im tired of self diagnosing! lol

^ EXACTALLY!!! I think therapy can help these people. Its circumstancial like PTSD in my opinion. Ugh, im tired of self diagnosing! lol

I doubt you have BPD. You are in wd. Its hard stuff.

Sorry, Jane, I had been reading your other posts about bipolar disorder.

Borderline personality disorder is somewhat of a mystery as to the cause.  Some say people are born with it and others say it develops in childhood.  I believe the DSM has about 10 behaviors they take into account when diagnosing this disorder.  Patient's don't have to be diagnosed with all 10 disorders to be diagnosed with BPD, with narcissistic behavior usually being most significant.  It's really interesting to read about.

[a6...]
ya No im just see it in my childhood maybe and why i dont get happy anymore over small things. also when i was a child and even now i have some tough time controlling emotions, but am SO much better now.

[a6...]

Sorry, Jane, I had been reading your other posts about bipolar disorder.

Borderline personality disorder is somewhat of a mystery as to the cause.  Some say people are born with it and others say it develops in childhood.  I believe the DSM has about 10 behaviors they take into account when diagnosing this disorder.  Patient's don't have to be diagnosed with all 10 disorders to be diagnosed with BPD, with narcissistic behavior usually being most significant.  It's really interesting to read about.

whats narcissistic behavior??

A narcissus is a person who has no empathy for others.  As far as they are concerned everybody on the planet was put their to serve their purposes.  They use others.  Nothing is ever their fault.  Just think of the most self-centered person you know.  Someone who doesn't care if they hurt your feelings as long as they get what they want.  Jane, I think you are too sweet to be narcissistic. :)

[a6...]

A narcissistic is a person who has no empathy for others.  As far as they are concerned everybody on the planet was put their to serve their purposes.  They use others.  Nothing is ever their fault.  Just think of the most self-centered person you know.  Someone who doesn't care if they hurt your feelings as long as they get what they want.  Jane, I think you are too sweet to be narcissistic. :)

I agree lol i am not a mean person