Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Won The Lottery.

[Ol...]

You've just found out you've won on The Lottery.

Either, $8 Million or £5 Million.

Would you go public?

What would you do with it??

As you feel now and when you feel well.

Dave I have often thought about this one.  I would definitely NOT go public but would share a substantial amount with close family and friends.  The strangest thing is just before I logged on today and read this post I was reading an e-mail I had received basically saying that Happiness is a Choice we make and that even though many of us believe if we were to receive/win a lottery we would be happier - here is an extract from my e-mail (makes you think doesn't it?)

The desire for material gain or change in wealth and status based on circumstances is subject to what Siegel and positive psychologists call the "hedonic treadmill."

"We become accustomed to one level of gratification and then we look for more,'' he said.

As an example, Siegel writes in his report that studies have documented how quickly people adapt to both negative and positive circumstances. Lottery winners, Siegel wrote, are no happier once some time has passed after winning than a control group of people who didn't win.

Rather, sustainable happiness is cultivated through small choices over a lifetime, Siegel believes.

Okay, here goes.

Each one of my family (up to first cousins) which is pretty small, would be given a substantial amount to: Use as a college fund, pay off debt, have necessary medical procedures, get a new car.

My mother would have a new condo/apartment with every ememity. An annuity would be set aside for her comfort including a weekly companion for shopping and light housekeeping.

I would rehab my highschool in Minnesota.

I would spend  6 figures to try to educate America (I wouldn't be too effective outside of US) about benzos.

I don't think there would be anything left, it there was, I would get a new pair of shoes.

I wouldn't care one way or the other if anyone new about my winnings, so I guess that means I would go public.

M.

Dave I have often thought about this one.  I would definitely NOT go public but would share a substantial amount with close family and friends.  The strangest thing is just before I logged on today and read this post I was reading an e-mail I had received basically saying that Happiness is a Choice we make and that even though many of us believe if we were to receive/win a lottery we would be happier - here is an extract from my e-mail (makes you think doesn't it?)

The desire for material gain or change in wealth and status based on circumstances is subject to what Siegel and positive psychologists call the "hedonic treadmill."

"We become accustomed to one level of gratification and then we look for more,'' he said.

As an example, Siegel writes in his report that studies have documented how quickly people adapt to both negative and positive circumstances. Lottery winners, Siegel wrote, are no happier once some time has passed after winning than a control group of people who didn't win.

Rather, sustainable happiness is cultivated through small choices over a lifetime, Siegel believes.

Yeah!! But how would you spend it?? In secret. You know if we twisted yer arm up yer back?? .:laugh:

I've given this some thought, too.

I would buy a little compound in Sedona AZ that was set up as a camp and also has living quarters that are considered "green".  With a little conversion, there would be room for my family and any friends who wanted to come.

I would hire one doctor to supervise a benzo recovery sanctuary, since some prescribing would be needed. And hopefully that part of the operation would be self sustaining if it was based on a sliding scale where no one would ever be turned away.

Of course there would be organic gardens and communal cooking and real community. That's a must.

I would most definitely go public with accepting the winnings and shout to the world what it was going to be used for.

Oh, and I would buy a bra!  :D

Flip

I've given this some thought, too.

I would buy a little compound in Sedona AZ that was set up as a camp and also has living quarters that are considered "green".  With a little conversion, there would be room for my family and any friends who wanted to come.

I would hire one doctor to supervise a benzo recovery sanctuary, since some prescribing would be needed. And hopefully that part of the operation would be self sustaining if it was based on a sliding scale where no one would ever be turned away.

Of course there would be organic gardens and communal cooking and real community. That's a must.

I would most definitely go public with accepting the winnings and shout to the world what it was going to be used for.

Oh, and I would buy a bra!  :D

Flip

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Flip... lol, lol... the best bra in the world, huh? 

Hi Olddave.... A great post!  After the end of what I post to reply.. I want to share my story that will put a kick in all your pants and hopefully you will all have a great laugh.  Though, this is what I would do:

1 - Hope I don't have a heart attack!

2 - Sign the back of the ticket, take a photocopy of both sides

3 - Put it in a ziplock bag in the freezer, unless the bank was open and put it in s/deposit box.

4 - Tell NO ONE! 

5 - Call our attorney, readjust our Estate Planning... pay him a good fee to claim all, with an Affidavit and promissory note back to us.. to keep us anonymous!

6 - Meet with a good CPA and a good financial planner!

7 - Bring my sisters, their spouses, their grown children.. to meet with the attorney and CPA, with us.. Their lives have changed.. they sign a form, they cannot say anything for five years to anyone where the money came from.. other then an inheritance.. their protection and ours!

8 - Charities... Make A Wish Foundation, St. Jude's Hspt, Foster Children at age 18.. booted out on their own, scholarships for them to go to college, taking care of their expenses..helping many foundations worldwide, for the sake of children.

9 - Supporting BenzoMaine.org, Benzobuddies with the cost for this forum.. proper groups in educating about benzos... and some of our benzobuddies in a horrible situation financially...

We're ok... so we wouldn't need much from it at all.. Just a cushion.. for some security!  So now on to the kicker.. hope you have a great laugh!!

We had an insurance agency. When the State lottery or the Mega had a big pot... All in the agency would chip in a buck or two.. we'd pool it.  One in the agency, would go buy the "office lottery tickets".  Everything was always on the up and up... that person would bring the tickets back to the office, photocopy them, all would have that copy in their desk, all our secret spot, and the real one would go into the safe.  To make a long story short..

The State lottery was 68 million.  My hubby, through out the week, he picked up a few here and there. I did the same.  Of course, our joke together, writing our initial on the back of the ticket, knowing who bought them.  The day of the big lottery, the office pool was big, hubby threw in an extra $20 for the pool. We were so busy with storms that day.. I was the delegated ticket buyer.. after one and all left.  I dragged myself to the local smoke shop, the lucky store with past good winners.. parking two blocks away, huffed down there, line a mile long.  Finally, bought the quick picks, huffed it back to the car, getting in.. a liquor store newly opened right in front of my parking place "Lottery Tickets"...  Oh.. maybe a sign.. went in purchased a $1.00 quick pick.  Laughed going back to the office, to do the photocopy thing, put the office

pool ticket in the safe and go home.

Hubby, the couch potato watching some sport game, me cooking, said to him... if you see the Lottery #'s write them down.. Nope, nothing comes on.  Up at 6am the next am.. cooking breakfast, shower, cleaning and straightening house before I go... take a shower, makeup, dress.. Hubby says.. hey, wrote down the Lottery #'s, it was on the news just minutes ago.  I couldn't find the tickets, or the photocopy of the office ones you brought home.. the #'s are on the counter.. Told him, I had put them under the magazine, showed him.  So.. me being back and forth with the house, etc.. in and out of the kitchen, by the third time.. I stopped myself.  Just check the bloody tickets.  Couldn't find my reading glasses.. Squinting, went through the photocopies of the office pool tickets, went on to hubbies, went on to mine,, the last, was the $1.00 ticket from that liquor store... One, two, three, omg four, omg five.. Being blind as a bat, I couldn't make out if the last number was 33 or 38... pulling it back and forth in the light... OMG... I threw my arms and my body back... screaming, WE WON, WE WON, WE ONE... Jumping up and down screaming... I did the leaps like a ballerina down the hall, screaming.. WE WON, WE WON, WE WON.. I flung open the bathroom door, knowing he was taking a shower... Here.. this guy, with shaving cream over his face, is hysterical with laughter, bouncing back and forth howling... I'm shaking all over, my heart is pounding out of my chest.. then I knew.. I clobbered him with my fist into his shoulder.. you b$$$$$ds, I could have had a heart attack...  Within minutes, for the next hour.. we were rolling with laughter.  I called the office, told the staff hysterically, we would be late... We just could not stop laughing.  The bugger, he found the tickets, and took that last one, wrote down the #'s out of sequence, just like they would have been drawn.

When we finally got to the office, we were hysterical walking in.. well, all were howling as we were sharing the whole thing... really the day was just hysterical with laughter.

So... I experienced what it would be like winning.. even though I didn't!  Hope you had a great laugh!  To this day.. we just howl about it.. Just wished he had small video cameras filming my reaction!  YouTube, it would have been a top view!  Patty

LOL, Patty! That's hilarious! Now I'll forever see you ballerina jumping down the hallway! Good story!

Thanks

Flip

Well, if I won the lottery I'd probably drop dead from the shock of it...I won a $25 scratch off that my son got me for my birthday and had to breathe into a paper bag...LOL!  But IF I won and my CNS could take it...

After taking care of my family, I'd build a retreat for any BB that wanted to sit with others and just chill out.  There would be NO outside stimuli...like people continually saying "You should be over this by now...why don't you reinstate....if you got off the couch and took up jogging you would feel better..."  It's funny this thread came up when it did...My husband bought a Power Ball ticket the other day and asked what I would do if we won.  The Retreat was the first thing I said.

No...I would not tell anybody.  Some poor soul in a neighboring town won the NYS lottery some time ago and had to move away in the dead of night due to all the fair weather friends and estranged relatives who came out of the woodwork needing a kidney for their sick aunt.  Mums the word!

Donna

Well, if I won the lottery I'd probably drop dead from the shock of it...I won a $25 scratch off that my son got me for my birthday and had to breathe into a paper bag...LOL!  But IF I won and my CNS could take it...

After taking care of my family, I'd build a retreat for any BB that wanted to sit with others and just chill out.  There would be NO outside stimuli...like people continually saying "You should be over this by now...why don't you reinstate....if you got off the couch and took up jogging you would feel better..."  It's funny this thread came up when it did...My husband bought a Power Ball ticket the other day and asked what I would do if we won.  The Retreat was the first thing I said.

No...I would not tell anybody.  Some poor soul in a neighboring town won the NYS lottery some time ago and had to move away in the dead of night due to all the fair weather friends and estranged relatives who came out of the woodwork needing a kidney for their sick aunt.  Mums the word!

Donna

Donna.... maybe that's a sign!!  Hope you two win!!!  Patty