Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Irritants, Annoyances and Pet Peeves, OH MY!

[da...]

The mention of those Home Shopping networks...HSN, QVC...irritate me! Oh and when they act like best friends with the callers..not only the sales people but the callers themselves. They are worse than the hosts! It's pitiful..it's more like sad...they're very lonely people! Heck, I'm a bit lonely meself..but I'm not going buying stuff on TV (can't afford it!) lol and making perfect strangers my friends! lol

This was meant to be humorous! Fell short.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [da...]

• [mp...]

• [Fl...]

• [Ch...]

remember when the only drug commecial were for all the competing aspiring brands and plop plop fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is and such??

Clarrise the Credit Card Tease called again this morning.  This is my last and final chance to lower my Visa interest rate.  She really means it this time.  She will no longer call me at 8AM with her annoying blabber...I better jump on it fast.

She said this the last time, yet here she is again.  Liar Liar pants on fire.  I will hunt down the names of her children and call them at midnight hawking my famous Canned Hair.  Yep. :thumbsup:

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

WiseWomanWithIssues:

From your sig, I'm about where you were except at 6 mg rather than 4. First, the Ashton Manual equivalence of 1 mg Ativan = 10 mg Valium seems to me and many I know to be incorrect. We think it's closer to 1:5, and several reference books agree (e.g., Lexicomp DIH). Did it seem to you that 40 mg of V was a lot stronger than 4 mg of A?

Second, you tried twice to c/o to V, succeeding on the third try? What happened the first two times? What changed so that you could finally do it?

Third, how did you change from 1 dose of Ativan/day to 3/day before c/o to Valium, if you did that? The alternative seems unlikely: taking the 40 mg V all at once and tapering that.

Fourth, where can I get the original of your avatar? I'm way into cats and guitars  :smitten:

Blessed be,

Aweigh

Thank you ladies. I have not laughed so hard in a long while. THis is the first time I have come across this thread and I l-o-v-e it.

Just want to add a bit concerning technology. I teach youngsters--7-10 years of age. I never even saw a computer except on the old black and white tv shows(i.e. "The Old Man In The Cave"--Tzone episode and "Lost In Space")until 1997. Suddenly we were required to teach a computer program to the children. :o If it had not been for the children, I would have never learned how to teach that course! Even today after years of practice, a student will advise me concerning certain computer functions. During tutoring, where the students are consideredlow achievers or just slow....one of the students called my attention to the games he found to play on the internet at school. I told him, oh those will not work we have blocking and it does not allow computer games, radio, ugly stuff...etc... next thing I know he's shooting zombies, playing hangman, and racing cars on the so-called blocked sites. I had tried in vain to order school materials from a school catalogue site and it was blocked. Who knew?!?

In the little hometown paper this week, a big ad invited people to the annual PUBIC LIBRARY SELL. MOM laughed so hard that she coughed and coughed afterwards. :D

Oh, and I'm 5'10" and still carry one of those grabby, pinchy thingees, because bending over or reaching across hurts like you-know-what due to benzo pain. My calico loves to be petted with it. :laugh: The siamese runs when she sees it. :laugh:

T2: Welcome to the real world of the "normals" where nearly everything is just too funny!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: M.  :smitten:

You wonderful ladies are the modern Erma Bombeck's of today :) I sat here and read every post and it felt so great to laugh!

Hey T2, there's also a fab funny thread about humor that made me cry with laughter, I think it was started by Flip. It has lots of funny graphics. Look for it, I think you'll love it.

M.  :smitten:

Oh no Donna! What do you make of this threat to America from the "evil" neighbor to our North?  :laugh: :

http://specials.msn.com/a-list/lifestyle/men-stopped-border-illegal-candy-popular-pages

You have got to be kidding me!  How did we ever survive eating giant fire balls, jawbreakers and penny gum that was a big around as a tennis ball...talk about choking.  Must be getting dull on the Canadian border...no booze, cigs or drugs to tear your car up for?  We had a car like a vehicle that was tagged for drug running and they pulled us over, ripped the trunk apart and removed our seats...after they apologized (this was on the Canadian side) they left us there in 100 degree heat to put our own car back together.

That candy made me hungry.  I might have to run to the corner gas station for a Bucket O' Chocolate.

:smitten:

'member those Sugar Daddy suckers--hard chewy caramel? Ate one several years ago and tore out a crown and a bridge. Beware! :D

I loved Sugar Daddy's!!! They were caramel to the Slow Poke's chocolate!!

When I was a toddler I fell down some stairs and needed stitches in my head. I was so good, the doctor gave me a giant Slow Poke, it was nearly as big as me, and my dad wouldn't let me carry it.

When I got home, I ran up to my bedroom and started screaming at the top of my lungs over and over: "I WANT MY BIG SLOW POKE THAT THE BABY DOCTOR GAVE TO ME AND I WANT IT NOW!"

After a while I wore my parents out, and they gave me the sucker. I just wanted to hold it, really, I just wanted them to cave in. I cuddled with that sucker until I went to sleep, of course, I didn't even peak under the wrapper. When I woke up, they had stolen it. I marched my little self down to the kitchen, "WHERE IS MY BIG SLOW POKE THAT THE BABY DOCTOR GAVE TO ME????"

My mother told me she gave it to the paper boy.  :o  Okay. I liked him, he was nice.

The important thing was, I won. They gave me my sucker, even if it was for a little while.

I remember this like it was yesterday.  Thanks for making me remember this T2!

Love,

M.  :smitten:            Hi Donna!

When I worked at UCSF (medical center) it was not uncommon to have the elevator doors open but be blocked by a group of gentlemen (uniformly men) engaged in heavyweight academic disputation. Everyone was supposed to walk around their importance, but being the kind of guy I am I'd say "excuse me" and barge right through the pack, with a tart reply ready to tongue. Although I got and returned plenty of dirty looks, only once was I 'taken aside' for a lecture. That was a bit of allright.  >:D

Of course, I'd always look first to see if anyone in the offending group was a professor or administrator I'd be dealing with in my job. I wasn't *that* stupid.

Aweigh

The UPS man just came, heard my dogs barking...they can detect the sound of the truck tires from ten miles away.  He put the package on the end of the deck and kicked it towards the door.  Ran back to his truck like his hair was on fire.  I'm glad it was just a text book and not the set of Authentic Fabrege (sp?) Eggs I ordered from the Outer Mongolian Museum of Art.  $23.68 and free shipping...how could I pass THAT up?

:smitten: Donna

WiseWomanWithIssues:

From your sig, I'm about where you were except at 6 mg rather than 4. First, the Ashton Manual equivalence of 1 mg Ativan = 10 mg Valium seems to me and many I know to be incorrect. We think it's closer to 1:5, and several reference books agree (e.g., Lexicomp DIH). Did it seem to you that 40 mg of V was a lot stronger than 4 mg of A?

Second, you tried twice to c/o to V, succeeding on the third try? What happened the first two times? What changed so that you could finally do it?

Third, how did you change from 1 dose of Ativan/day to 3/day before c/o to Valium, if you did that? The alternative seems unlikely: taking the 40 mg V all at once and tapering that.

Fourth, where can I get the original of your avatar? I'm way into cats and guitars  :smitten:

Blessed be,

Aweigh

Hi Aweigh,

Sorry for my delay in response.  I just returned from a week stay at the hospital after emerg surgery for a ruptured appendix.  And just for information purposes, Oxycodone, vicoden, moraphine etc do NOTHING for benzo w/d, just in case there was any question lol.

I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can.  4 mg ativan vs 40 mg Valium are very different in how they effected me.  Ativan has a punch, valium is more constant but it's not as intense if that makes sense.  My challenges with the c/o won't apply to many. 

The problem is that Ativan metabolizes differently than valium.  Valium makes a couple passes through the liver where Ativan doesn't.  And just for general information, as proof that there really is a difference in how benzos metabolize, there are three benzos Ativan, temazepam and oxymazepam (sp?) that are used for people with liver disfunction because they don't have the same impact on the liver as the rest.  My problem was that at 40 mg, in my liver the valium rendered my hormone regime (as a result of another condition) ineffective and therefore caused me significant problems since my chemistry was so dysregulated.  My problem was very rare and my guess is this won't impact you.

It could very well be that the "exchange rate" for Ativan to valium may be different I don't know.  What I do know is that immediately upon the completion of the c/o to valium, I dropped 15 mg in one fell swoop.  I then held for a few months since I experienced significant impact from the drop and probably still as a result of the c/o.  But for me the drop resolved the hormone issue, so apparently it was dose related.

When I c/o'd I too was only taking it one time a day like I did with ativan (which should never have been the case since for years I was unknowingly experienceing interdose w/d because of ativans short half life.  That became increasingly distressful as the dose increased and was as a result of my naivate and the stupidity of my doctor) 

However early on I posed the question here about why some dose once a day vs twice (or 3x) with valium since valium has such a long half life.  I learned, in a nutshell, that while the half life is long there is something called duration of action where the biggest effect of taking the drug occurs during the first 8-12 hours.  And that taking it twice and for some 3x a day may be more effective for them.  So initially I was taking it all at night, I started taking a part of the dose in the morning and discovered that there infact was a positive impact. 

My understanding is that as long as the total dose remains the same during any 24 hour period, how it's split up is less important.  For a while I even split it into three so I would take a portion in the early evening and it actually helped with situations where I had events to attend to in the  evening.  However, for most of my taper I have settled with just dosing at night and in the morning.

As far as the pic, I wish I could tell you the source, but I have had ita long time and really have no idea it's origin.

If I've missed anything or you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.  Although everyone is different I was unable to w/d from Ativan directly and while valium is no nirvana, it is as a result of valium that I have been able to taper at all.  I wish you much luck with your taper and send you thoughts of relief and comfort during your taper :)

Btw, you have a great avatar too!

WWWI

WiseWomanWithIssues:

Blessed be,

Aweigh

Hi Aweigh,

Sorry for my delay in response.  I just returned from a week stay at the hospital after emerg surgery for a ruptured appendix.  And just for information purposes, Oxycodone, vicoden, moraphine etc do NOTHING for benzo w/d, just in case there was any question lol.

I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can.  4 mg ativan vs 40 mg Valium are very different in how they effected me.  Ativan has a punch, valium is more constant but it's not as intense if that makes sense.  My challenges with the c/o won't apply to many. 

The problem is that Ativan metabolizes differently than valium.  Valium makes a couple passes through the liver where Ativan doesn't.  And just for general information, as proof that there really is a difference in how benzos metabolize, there are three benzos Ativan, temazepam and oxymazepam (sp?) that are used for people with liver disfunction because they don't have the same impact on the liver as the rest.  My problem was that at 40 mg, in my liver the valium rendered my hormone regime (as a result of another condition) ineffective and therefore caused me significant problems since my chemistry was so dysregulated.  My problem was very rare and my guess is this won't impact you.

It could very well be that the "exchange rate" for Ativan to valium may be different I don't know.  What I do know is that immediately upon the completion of the c/o to valium, I dropped 15 mg in one fell swoop.  I then held for a few months since I experienced significant impact from the drop and probably still as a result of the c/o.  But for me the drop resolved the hormone issue, so apparently it was dose related.

When I c/o'd I too was only taking it one time a day like I did with ativan (which should never have been the case since for years I was unknowingly experienceing interdose w/d because of ativans short half life.  That became increasingly distressful as the dose increased and was as a result of my naivate and the stupidity of my doctor) 

However early on I posed the question here about why some dose once a day vs twice (or 3x) with valium since valium has such a long half life.  I learned, in a nutshell, that while the half life is long there is something called duration of action where the biggest effect of taking the drug occurs during the first 8-12 hours.  And that taking it twice and for some 3x a day may be more effective for them.  So initially I was taking it all at night, I started taking a part of the dose in the morning and discovered that there infact was a positive impact. 

My understanding is that as long as the total dose remains the same during any 24 hour period, how it's split up is less important.  For a while I even split it into three so I would take a portion in the early evening and it actually helped with situations where I had events to attend to in the  evening.  However, for most of my taper I have settled with just dosing at night and in the morning.

As far as the pic, I wish I could tell you the source, but I have had ita long time and really have no idea it's origin.

If I've missed anything or you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.  Although everyone is different I was unable to w/d from Ativan directly and while valium is no nirvana, it is as a result of valium that I have been able to taper at all.  I wish you much luck with your taper and send you thoughts of relief and comfort during your taper :)

Btw, you have a great avatar too!

WWWI

WWWI in good health:

Wow!  :o I hope you didn't develop peritonitis. I've always read that opiates do nothing for benzo w/d and you now confirm this. Just our luck, as benzos can be helpful (ssshh!) for opiate w/d. They should never be withdrawn at the same time.

It was several years after I started working in a pharmacokinetics lab that I understood why drugs with very long T1/2 like methadone and Valium could be dosed 2 or 3 times a day without building up to toxic levels. As you say, duration of action. A graph called a 'dose/response curve' makes it all clear at a glance.

Sounds like if you could drop 15 mg of V in 'one fell swoop' (my mom used that phrase all the time) maybe you were at a pretty high V dose--perhaps 1:10 is a high conversion rate.

I'm considering using V as an adjunct/support drug while basically tapering directly from A. I don't know if my doc will go for that, but at least she's open to new data. 2 benzos could also mean a new 2 sets of w/d issues.

I think how the dose is divided during the 24 period does matter, 'tho less so with long actors. I'm transitioning from single dose  to 3 x day right now, and I'd say it's different at the same dose. Better, but sleepy in the PM.

Blessed be,

Aweigh

• 2 weeks later...

Clarisse, the credit card tease, just called again.  How many second chances to lower my interest rate am I going to get?  I blew a whistle into the receiver....then realized it was another robo call.  I wish I knew her home phone number so I could give her a buzz around midnight.

Donna

Oh Donna, sounds like you have been missing Clarisse! It does seem like she hasn't been paying you much attention lately.  :-\  I hope she's not calling other people!!  :laugh:

Oh Donna, sounds like you have been missing Clarisse! It does seem like she hasn't been paying you much attention lately.  :-\  I hope she's not calling other people!!  :laugh:

That's what Credit Card Teases do...they make you feel special but in fact they are very fickle.  She calls other people.  I might change from Mastercard to Visa and see how SHE likes it.

:smitten:

Well if you really want some fun, get a Diner's Club Card! All of their representatives are male, over 80 and original members of the Jonathan Club. Very suave and debonair. They will charm their way right into your heart and pocketbook with their smooth upper drawer, square jawed dulcet  :smitten: tones.

They are the Xanax of credit card people!  ;D

M.