Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Feel like I'm not getting anywhere

[jj...]

Sorry for being a downer for all you people suffering benzo withdrawal. I am now ready for work, and I have been hunting since Jan 2012. It has not been easy to say the least. I have had 3 interviews, all without a job in the end. I have asked each manager doing the interviews what I should be doing to improve on further interviews. The first said I needed to work on being more specific for my answers.

I studied like mad for a week before my second interview and knew all the answers. The manager said I did everything right and they just couldn't take the time to train me.

The third interview I know I nailed every question. This time the manager said they were really happy with my answers, but that in the end they went with someone who has more recent experience.

I have been out of the job market for 3 years now, and since Jan 2012 I have been updating my knowledge in order to be prepared for interviews.

I feel like a failure! I don't know what else I can do to improve my chances of getting a job I feel comfortable with. I have also contacted a career foundation to get their take on how I interview and also I have had my resume professionally done with career experts earlier in 2011.

I just feel like giving up. I know this road is a tough one, but I don't know what else to do. I have applied to go back to school for a one year upgrade. However, I would have to work a student summer job to qualify for a loan. I have even applied to coffee shops to fulfill this requirement and they aren't even hiring. The government has set aside money for student summer jobs. However, I do not qualify for one because I am over age for these programs.

Anyone know what else I should do, besides the usual networking and continued job search. I am super frustrated!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Hi jjbutterfly,

You know the job market is still really tough.  Companies are continually laying off and others are simply not hiring.  Stick with it though, something will come through.  I know several people looking now and most of the time they don't even get a response from the company they sent their resume to.

I wish you the best in your job search.

pianogirl

Hi,

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you.  The job market is so tough right now.  It sounds like you are doing all the right things, hopefully your next interview will be the one where you get hired.  Don't give up, you just never know....you could get a job when you least expect it.

Take care, and good luck to you.

pj

Hi,

I too am very frustrated looking for a new job. My story is a little different though because I'm being told that although "they love me", I am too over qualified.

Here's the deal, since the world's economy has crashed, employers are now completely and totally in the driver's seat. As my father keeps telling me, we cannot possibly know what tiny little window it is that we must pass through in order to be deamed "the right one" for any given job.

I just want to let you know that you are okay in feeling an assortment of stuff right now including frustration and even anger, this is not your fault.

How about this, try to get a volunteer position in something that if not exactly the area you want to work in, at least on the fringe of an aspect of what you want. This will not only keep you brain and body limber, but you will gain communication and other skills that just might pique the interest of a potential employer.

I was someone who used to hire people sometimes with little to no experience, and I always looked at the efforts a person made in life, not just work experience

I hope this helps,

Your friend,

M.

Thanks for the replies. If I don't find a job soon, I will be going the school route to upgrade my knowledge and skills. I really want to avoid this, but perhaps it would be good in terms of getting my feet wet again slowly, instead of going in full tilt and at a fast pace like I was before all of this.

Sounds like you have a good life plan going for yourself there, good for you.

I think it's brave that you reached out.

Good luck to you.

Your friend,

M.