Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

will today be the day?

[sw...]

Is today going to be the day that I play Chopin Waltz in C# minor correctly from memory?  I took piano lessons as a kid, but had to stop playing once I lost access to a piano at 18, and have taken it back up in withdrawal.

This was the only piece I ever gave up on as a teenager because it was too hard, so I've taken it back up during my piano resurgence. I finished memorizing it a few days ago, but it's so complex I haven't played it perfectly from memory quite yet.  I think today may be the day!  If not, soon.

:)

Hi Sweet G,

I'm not a musician myself but I have a life long passion for music. I'm sure that playing the piano again has been a tremendous source of comfort for you during your healing. Congratulations Sweet G this for taking on this difficult piece. Wish we could be there to hear it.

Leslie  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/Olga_074/emoticons/piano.gif

Thanks!  The piano has given me something very productive and rewarding to do with my down time.  Many times, I am so sick I can only play for a few minutes a pop, but all of those minutes add up.  Other times, of course, I can play for longer. 

It's crazy, because I can really see the impact my withdrawal has on my playing.  Good days, good playing, rough days I can't even play the pieces that I have aced.  This piece that I'm working on is a real challenge because there are so many factors I've got to keep going in my head which is difficult to impossible in serious withdrawal.  Still, I'm trying to brute force my way into getting this- if I keep playing it long enough, I'm going to eventually learn it even if it takes a lot longer than it should have.

If you'd like to hear the piece, this is a video of someone else playing it.

That's great Sweet G. Wow that's a complex piece. That must be really challenging even on a good day. I don't play piano, but I recently pulled out an old keyboard from when I was a kid and have been trying to learn a particular song, for something to do and because I like the song. There is a huge difference in my ability to play when feeling good or bad. I can't even pick out notes when my brain is at its foggiest.

Congrats, and I hope you're having a good day today!

Hi sweetg,

Congrats on picking up the piano again. I love Chopin, particularly the Nocturnes and the Etudes.

Memorization is tough so try not to be hard on yourself.  I have a method I use with students if they are having trouble with certain spots in the piece.  We take small sections and I have them play it until they can play it 3 consecutive times with no mistakes. Often then these sections become the strongest and its important to build on success.

Since I am still in recovery what I play is based on how I feel.  If its a rough day I might play 2nd movements of sonatas for the serenity.  If I am feeling playful I might play 3rd movements of sonatas. If I feel great I play whatever I want.

Music is a gift of a lifetime, enjoy it.

pianogirl

Hey thanks!

Anyway, I just wanted to come back and announce that I finally nailed it, today!  It still needs a bit of polishing and it will be a while before I can play it effortlessly, but at least now I have the foundation to make it sound spectacular.

:)