Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

double addictions?

[d1...]

[d1...]

Does anyone here have a double addiction? Meaning benzo useage+1 or more other drugs? I do, mine is drinking & benzos.

Jane

Hello Janedoe,

I'm wondering if you signature is correct? Are you still off benzos?

I did not drink the first 6 (at least) years of benzo use. Then a doctor cut out 90 mg of benzos and told me it was Ok to drink "a little". Fast forward a few years, I was popping a beer before coffee in the morning. I could not stop. It was not a will power thing. It was a brain chemical thing.

Mixing the two is incredibly dangerous, Jane. Especially in any quanity at all. I was hospitalized for a vetibular problem cause by combining the two. I had nystagmus so bad I could not walk without falling down. I had to undergo vestibular retraining with an expensive neurotherapist.

If I can help you through this, I'll be happy to. I certainly will not be judgmental, as I have been there.

:smitten:

Flip

[d1...]

Nice to meet you flipbrain!

hmmm...I wonder why now I feel like a magnet and am suffering muscle stiffness and mobility issues...its been a little tricky to walk. I am beginning to wonder if alcohol played a part in all of this and will make it MORE difficult to recover. I dont drink anymore but was mixing them for a couple years on most nights of the week. Thats why I just c/t at 35 mgs and didnt finish my taper. I really thought I was going to die from respritory depression one night. Benzos and Booze just go hand and hand with me. I cant take a benzo without being triggered to drink.

I'm very relieved to hear you are off alcohol. Congratulations!

I'm sorry you're going through a cold turkey.

I feel almost certain that the alcohol and benzos have affected many things. That being said, there is no evidence that we will not fully heal.

Hang in there Jane.

Flip

[d1...]

I'm very relieved to hear you are off alcohol. Congratulations!

I'm sorry you're going through a cold turkey.

I feel almost certain that the alcohol and benzos have affected many things. That being said, there is no evidence that we will not fully heal.

Hang in there Jane.

Flip

What do you feel it has affected mostly?

I think it's individual. For me, it is my vestibular system. I have poor eye coordination with moving objects. I have trouble driving except in low traffic side streets. My death perception is inaccurate. Tinnitus may well be with me forever.  I'm frequently dizzy and disoriented.

I realize all these things describe benzo withdrawal and perhaps that's all it is. I hope!  :smitten:

Hi Janedoe, I count my blessings every day that I am living :yippee:. I was on two benzos and drinking heavily for years, I am just thankful I got out alive and so far I do not have any permanent damage, I am sure I killed many brain cells but I am healing and my memory is amazing compared to the years of that deadly combo.

congratulations on not drinking and I hope you continue to heal :thumbsup:

[d1...]

Hi Janedoe, I count my blessings every day that I am living :yippee:. I was on two benzos and drinking heavily for years, I am just thankful I got out alive and so far I do not have any permanent damage, I am sure I killed many brain cells but I am healing and my memory is amazing compared to the years of that deadly combo.

congratulations on not drinking and I hope you continue to heal :thumbsup:

Nice to meet you LadyGrace! Healing is happening for sure! How are you doing nowadays? :)

Hi, Im doing fairly well, I must say I really didnt have much trouble quittng the booze and I was a daily heavy drinker but I think the benzos helped with that and the first 2 months of my benzo withdrawal were not easy but now I am coming along, insomnia plaques me but maybe that will get better once all the benzos are out of my system , I am hoping it will be a smooth withdrawal :thumbsup:

I drank, but not heavily, before I started taking xanax.  Later on though, during my benzo use, I drank much more, spent much more money, ate more and gained weight, etc.  So, in that sense, benzos did increase my drinking and amplified my other bad habits as well.