Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Smoothie recipie´s

[os...]

Smoothie´s are healthy and fun to make... this is the SMOOTHIE THREAD. ;D

Today´s smoothie:

1 Sweet Pear

1 Apple

1 Kiwi

3 Strawberries

1 Pot Natural Yogurt

1 Shot Honey

1/4 Cup Orange Juice

1/4 Cup Water

Colour: Dusk pink

Taste: Apple but subtle, not sweet but could have done without the orange juice and maybe an extra strawberry or two.

Rating: 5/10

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Today´s smoothie  ;D

1 Large Sweet Pear

2 Kiwi

5 Strawberries

1 Shot Honey

1/2 Cup Water

Colour: Dark Desert Pink  ;D:laugh:

Taste: Pear and kiwi shine through the strawberry and tastes semi sweet.

Rating: 7/10

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

... and ...and!  You are a tease Oscar!  :laugh:

Have you ever added avocado or ground almonds... very nice  :)  They add a touch of richness to my otherwise nonfat smoothies and some healthy fats!  Yum...

Looking forward to hearing what comes from your kitchen!  :thumbsup:

Lily

Heres the smoothie thread. I just put in whatever is on hand.

Todays smoothie

Frozen pineapple chunks eh 1/2 cup

3 strawberries

1 cup pomegranate yogurt

1/2 frozen banana

2 scoops frozen fat free yogurt

Orange juice to texture. Maybe a cup.

Would have added mangos but benzo brain here doesn't know where her man go. LOL, that was funny Oscar. Love this thread.

Today´s smoothie. ;D

1/4 Cantaloupe Melon

2 Kiwi

1/2 Cup Raspberries

1 Sweet Pear

1/2 Cup Water

Colour: Mother Earth Pink  :laugh:

Taste: Melon Heaven  :laugh: with a subtle raspberry undertone and a slight zing of kiwi. Good for a hot day.

(Extra raspberries optional).

Serves 1

Rating: 7/10

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Heres the smoothie thread. I just put in whatever is on hand.

Todays smoothie

Frozen pineapple chunks eh 1/2 cup

3 strawberries

1 cup pomegranate yogurt

1/2 frozen banana

2 scoops frozen fat free yogurt

Orange juice to texture. Maybe a cup.

Would have added mangos but benzo brain here doesn't know where her man go. LOL, that was funny Oscar. Love this thread.

Yummy... will have to try this one Sarah, i need to go fruit shopping tomorrow.  8)

I think i´ll buy pineapple and pomegranate and maybe some mango too.  ;)

Oscar

1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate

1 cup milk

1 cup water

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tbsp agave nectar

10 cubes ice

Tastes like a creamsicle

Oooh that sounds nice Skyy.  ;D8)

That reminds me, i should go make some ice for tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Lily, what do you use with avocado?

I think i need more inspiration... i am not a fan of tomatoes but in the right smoothie i could get some in i think.

Any ideas anyone?  ;D

Oscar

Hi Oscar and Company,

My daily smoothie doesn't vary too much as I am insulin resistant and need to balance my carbs to proteins at the rate of 2 carb grams to at least 1 protein gram.  So, it is easier to just do the same one that I know is fairly balanced.  This may seem a like a little strange for a smoothie although not too odd for a green one.  But it is too thick to drink and is eaten with a spoon.

For the last year in W/D my teeth have been painful and numb which has meant that I haven't been able to bite through anything at all - Not even lettuce on a sandwich!  (Just last week for the first time I was able to bite several different foods!  Yea for healing!)  This means I have been making smoothies of all kinds, even out of soup to get my food intake up!  Clam Chowder through a blender does leave something to be desired, but if you are hungry and need to eat... it isn't all that bad!  But I don't think it will catch on in the main stream!  LOL!

This recipe makes 3 bowls of green smoothie that I share with my hubby.  We have one each for lunch and I eat another one later as one of the 5 meals I try to eat each day.  (That 5 meals a day is another part of insulin resistant.  It brings less of a spike in my blood sugar.) 

So the recipe... it really does taste good to us but then this house has pretty much been without a cook for a lot of the last 17 months!  But you might get some interesting ideas from it!

My daily green smoothie:

1 1/2 cups of nonfat cottage cheese (For extra amounts of protein)

1 1/2 cups yogurt (Protein, too)

1/2 cup almonds, freshly ground in a coffee grinder (Protein and "good" fats)

1/2 to 1 whole avocado (More "good" fats)

3 or 4 chunks of fresh pineapple  (They are pretty big chunks) (Here come the carbs!)

1 fresh orange (And carbs)

1 1/2 to 2 cups frozen peaches, (In the U. S., Safeway has really good ones.) (More carbs)

1 @ 6 ounce bag of fresh baby spinach leaves  (About 4 cups packed down.)  (Baby leaves don't taste strong at all! So good for ya!)

I used to make it without the spinach and liked it as more of a dessert like treat.  But this is very good and has more food value that I need right now.  It is a little more like a nice green salad with lots of flavors! 

The avocado would be good I think in many fruit based drinks.  It is just lovely and rich but doesn't taste too much like avocado.  I used to use it with some different berries but because of my teeth, I gave up on anything with seeds.  Too weird feeling in my mouth!

My husband would never, in 40 years of marriage, eat yogurt or any type of smoothie.  He loves this!  Really!  But then as I said, we haven't had a lot of cooking going on here for a very long time and he has developed a great appreciation for anything eatable!  He's been a real trouper! 

Wishing a great day to all!

:smitten:

Lily

Added later: 

I just read on your blog Oscar that leafy green veggies, including spinach, can lesson the time it takes for some meds. to leave a person's system.  Since you said this is true for Valium I would guess it might be for all Benzos!  Well, for me since I have been eating this same spinach smoothie for months now I guess I will continue to do so!  That was an amazing bit of information though!  And I don't know that others who are still tapering would want to add spinach to their smoothies though!  Maybe after they are done and free!

So, does this mean that I am not even living on all the meds. I am taking right now and I am in a way closer to being free?  Maybe - Kind of!  Yea! :yippee:

• 2 weeks later...

Today´s smoothie:

Strawberry Kiwi Zinger  :laugh:

I large pear

3 Kiwi

6-7 Strawberries

1 Cup Ice

Colour: Husky Electro Pink  :laugh:

Taste: Sweet strawberry with a strong kiwi zing and a refreshing pear after taste. This one gets the taste buds tingling, ice cubes to serve. Great for summer and kids will like this one too.

Rating: 9/10

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

2 scoops of vanilla ice cream (a good start, yes?)

1 1/2 cups of frozen blackberries

1/2 cup of strawberries

1 cup milk

1/2 tsp lime juice (for a tart kick)

dollop of whipped cream

1 cup milk

1 cup water

2 tbsp agave nectar

10 cubes ice

Tastes like a creamsicle

Made this tonight, so yummy!!!

Thanks for sharing,Skyy

1 cup milk

1 cup water

2 tbsp agave nectar

10 cubes ice

Tastes like a creamsicle

Thanks for sharing,Skyy

wonder how it would taste with vodka!  I had a "Peach Kiss"  martini on mother's day and it was delish!

1 cup milk

1 cup water

2 tbsp agave nectar

10 cubes ice

Tastes like a creamsicle

Thanks for sharing,Skyy

wonder how it would taste with vodka!  I had a "Peach Kiss"  martini on mother's day and it was delish!

I'm sure it would be glorious with vodka! lol....that peach kiss sounds yummy!

I took a pic of our "Skyy's Creamsicle Smoothie"

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/sarahndipity123/IMG_20120516_201949.jpg

Offspring is a picky little stinker....so two for me! Thank you for posting that, Skyy~

xoxo

Dipity~

• 2 weeks later...

Today's smoothie

1 fresh ripe peach, peeled (lol)

7 small freshstrawberries just this side of being sent to pasture

1/2 banana

1/2 cup fat free yogurt

1/4 milk

handfull of ice

So good, made one big one all for me! :)

So delicious on this hot summer's day!

Today's Smoothie:

Oscar, coconut teaser! ;)

Pineapple chunks (frozen)

Mango chunks (frozen)

half banana

milk

fat free yogurt

coconut!!!

So yummy~Tastes like vacation  :yippee:

• 11 months later...

Resurrecting our smoothie thread....Its getting warm where I live and I  :smitten: :smitten: smoothies.

Here is a recipe a friend of mine from Canada gave me to try. It sounded wonderful...unusual. I give it a thumbs sideways, so I have to try it again, but thought it might be interesting to see if anyone else was into it. I love that it has cinnamon in it..

Sarah's Friend from Canada's Daughter's smoothy recipe (lol)

(You have to make up your own amounts)

Coconut water

fresh pineapple

blueberries

ginger (fresh grated and just a little bit, she told me how to save fresh ginger by peeling it then freezing it, brilliant)

!/2 frozen banana (also peeled and frozen for future use, duh, I was always trying to peel a frozen banana..)

cinnamon (maybe a 1/4 tsp or so)

Anise Star (half of an anise star actually, yes anise that tastes like black licorice.

Any takers? Your thoughts if you do. I find cooking (if you call this cooking, concocting more like it) to be a wonderful distraction plus you get some good nutrition out of it.

;) Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

Oscar! I see you are on, so I thought I would come clean with my (almost) daily smoothy...it is getting warm here, and they are a healthy treat..I have to watch the calories so I measure it. I am doing a fitness monitoring with Carol, its fun...kind of, Im not doing very good, but it is indeed informative.

OK: Sarah's Staple Smoothy

1/2 c unsweetened apple juice

1/2 banana

1/4 c frozen blueberries

1/4 c frozen raspberries

4 frozen strawberries

2 TBS plain low fat greek yogurt

Its delicious...I was using tea like you suggested, but I needed more sweet. OJ is too sweet but the apple juice is just right. :)

Wanna come over for one? Or you have the nicer view!

Miss you,

Sarah :smitten: