Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anybody had a celebrity encounter?

[mp...]

Hmmm...when I lived in The Netherlands w/ my hubby, we were out one day and ended walking behind Rob Schneider while he toured Amsterdam.  I know it's not that exciting, but I thought it was awesome!  lol  He's quite short and seemed to walking around w/ a man who looked to be a bodyguard of sorts.  We also saw the Dutch singer "Anouk" buying munchies w/ her boyfriend at the grocery store.  Their cart was FULL of chips and chocolate...literally full to the top. 

My friend worked at a fancy hotel in Scotland a few years back and met Sean Connery (she said he was a gentleman) and Christian Slater (she said he was SO nice and very charming). 

That's my contribution!  lol

Hello again, ladies, :)

I met Roy Schneider in New York in my senior year of high school.  I was there looking at colleges and he sat next to a friend and I at a restaurant.  He and his wife were not only nice, but also interested and engaging.  They even picked up the tab.  This was around the time that the original Jaws came out (Somewhere after).  It was a thrill at the time...

I've also met Rob Lowe many times.  Pre-sobriety....and post.  Same for Robert Downey Jr.  They are both very talented, and lovely souls. 

I have stayed away from this site since my initial posts because I felt strange somehow.  Too close to home in a bizarre way.  But I have continued to read this thread and find it fun and innocuous.

I love all your stories, and have a few more of my own when things calm down elsewhere...

Charlie :smitten:

Hi charlie!  :)

ROB LOWE  >:D >:D If you read my post about him, you know I'm blushing right now!! Oh My!

charlie, you put your finger right on the reason I created this thread. I too found that I couldn't post for quite a long time after becoming a member. My goal was indeed to create a safe space where we could relax, use something from our poor brains that we actually could remember and have a laugh or two.

I would love to hear more of your stories anytime!  ;D

Be well.

M.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [mp...]

• [Wh...]

• [ch...]

• [Wi...]

Hmmm...when I lived in The Netherlands w/ my hubby, we were out one day and ended walking behind Rob Schneider while he toured Amsterdam.  I know it's not that exciting, but I thought it was awesome!  lol  He's quite short and seemed to walking around w/ a man who looked to be a bodyguard of sorts.  We also saw the Dutch singer "Anouk" buying munchies w/ her boyfriend at the grocery store.  Their cart was FULL of chips and chocolate...literally full to the top. 

My friend worked at a fancy hotel in Scotland a few years back and met Sean Connery (she said he was a gentleman) and Christian Slater (she said he was SO nice and very charming). 

That's my contribution!  lol

Hello again, ladies, :)

I met Roy Schneider in New York in my senior year of high school.  I was there looking at colleges and he sat next to a friend and I at a restaurant.  He and his wife were not only nice, but also interested and engaging.  They even picked up the tab.  This was around the time that the original Jaws came out (Somewhere after).  It was a thrill at the time...

I've also met Rob Lowe many times.  Pre-sobriety....and post.  Same for Robert Downey Jr.  They are both very talented, and lovely souls. 

I have stayed away from this site since my initial posts because I felt strange somehow.  Too close to home in a bizarre way.  But I have continued to read this thread and find it fun and innocuous.

I love all your stories, and have a few more of my own when things calm down elsewhere...

Hi charlie!  :)

ROB LOWE  >:D >:D If you read my post about him, you know I'm blushing right now!! Oh My!

charlie, you put your finger right on the reason I created this thread. I too found that I couldn't post for quite a long time after becoming a member. My goal was indeed to create a safe space where we could relax, use something from our poor brains that we actually could remember and have a laugh or two.

I would love to hear more of your stories anytime!  ;D

Be well.

M.

:2funny:  You are so adorable, Mp. (your new name... :laugh:)

I will share more...I'm just so tired now.  But...we can...

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj561/charlie3912/chaplin_dance_of_the_rolls1.gif

charlie, you are a real hoot! (as my grandmother used to say!)

I would love to know how to encorporate those little videos....

M.

charlie, you are a real hoot! (as my grandmother used to say!)

I would love to know how to encorporate those little videos....

M.

Okay.... 

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj561/charlie3912/jane1014101.gif

I'll walk you through it when I find my brain, Mp. :idiot:

Hey charlie, that would be fantastic!  Keep in mind that I am technilogically challenged now due to w/d. Heck, to be honest, was I ever good at it? I don't remember anymore, oh well......

wee this is so fun!  :idiot:

M.

• 1 month later...

Okay M ... I just gotta tell ya about this.  I flew home from Hawaii, starting off last night.  Arrived in the Calgary airport around 11 AM this morning and guess who was there in the same waiting area for a connecting flight?  OMG!!!  I'm gonna drag this out a bit with the details.  So, I never slept all night and I'm completely bagged and kind of spread out in a chair leaning heavily on one side with my leg up on my carry on and thinking "It would take something pretty special to snap me out of this and make me sit up like a proper lady."  OMG ... with eyes barely open Kevin Costner is walking toward me.  "What?"

He sits about 10 feet away from me with his back towards me and I'm looking and looking through my half open eyes.  I'm still not moving from my repose.  Of course I doubted my own eyes and just kept watching.  He was with 3 guys and seemed to be the center of their attention.  I could hear some of the conversation but still, I don't know, in shock and disbelief?  I'm still questioning my sanity alot after what I've been thru you realize.  No one from the public in the waiting room approached him so I couldn't get validation that way and I certainly wasn't going to intrude on this man's space.  I was looking for some kind of confirmation that this was indeed who I thought it was.  Finally one of the guys he is with, says to Kevin,  " These nice ladies would like to get a picture with you." ... meaning the staff at the Air Canada counter.  Well then, I had more of a clue that this was for real.  When he was done with picture taking, still with his back towards me, he turns around and we make eye contact.  I'm sitting up more now, by the way.  This has definitely perked me up.  I smile at him.  He smiles back.  I give a little wave and he gives a little wave back.

Kevin's plane is boarding then and he is gone.  Still needing confirmation I walk up to one of those ladies and ask "Was that really Kevin Costner?"  "Yup", she goes "can you believe it?"  Well, obviously I was having a real hard time with believing it myself and wishing I was going to Grande Prairie on that plane.  After his plane is loaded there is a missing passenger that they are paging over and over.  Finally, I say "I'm Jessica Torbin" (the lady who's name they were paging).  We all got a laugh out of that.  Boy, she'll be sorry she missed her flight if she ever finds out.  It was just a tiny plane, 40 passengers in total.

So, I take the final leg of my flight home and I get here and still have to google Kevin Costner in Grande Prairie and sure enough that is exactly where he is today.  Didn't know he was a country musician too.  Just loaded with talent, I wonder what it would be like to have his life.

And that's my story and what a thrilling ending to a great vacation.  Right?  :D

Wowzie Whoopsie, lucky you.  Is he tall, I picture him being tall. I am always in such a coma after a night flight I probably wouldn't recognize Mr. PG.  :D

How fantastic Whoop!!! That's just the way it always happens, in the little moments of life.  I know you'll have that moment to look back on always, and when people as you about your trip to Hawaii you can honestly say that it was the coming home part that was the best!

Love,

M.  :smitten:

When I lived in LA I worked as a massage therapist at a very popular spa. I worked on many celebrities. George Micheal, Chynna Phillips, Ali McGraw, and many more. Some were nice and some not so much. I was always surprised when they didn't tip well.

Would you be comfortable telling us about both your biggest tip and your smallest tip?

Thank you!! I would really love to hear these!!! Maybe just first names of the celebs?  >:D

M.  ;D

I went to HS with Richard Gere...his sister was in my sorority.  I have a picture of him peeking around the doorway while we all 'did each other's hair.'  He was a geekster nerd back then.  I also dated Loni Anderson's second husband.  He's on off Broadway now but used to play bit parts (Airplane...WKRP in Cincinatti and many commercials.)  Does he count?  My husband played in the Village with Jerry Garcia and Tom Rush back when they passed a hat around for a nickel.  Hmmm.  Oh, and I met OJ.  Yikes!  Not as impressive as the rest of you but I'm VERY SHY and slither on the ground and shake when I see a celeb. :crazy:

Donna

Oh Donna, you are a sly one! Such interesting stories here, and you are so very modest about it.  :laugh:

So, you dated Ross then? Interesting. Before or after Loni? And OJ? Yikes indeed!

Richard Gere once went to the same dentist as me, looking at his teeth, I should have run.  ;D

They all count!!  I was surprised when I started this little thread, how much everyone loves reading it. It was a way for me to dip my toe in the waters here on BB. I haven't come back to it much, but it is a lot of fun.  ;D

Thanks for joining in Donna!

Love,

Yes...Ross Bickell...we called him Skip.  He's a nice guy.  I was just recently divorced and he came to our class reunion...we just had a short lived fling of sorts.  He called Loni (they were separated) on the phone and asked me to talk to her...I think she dumped him for Burt the next day.  He told me he was sick to death of being called "Mr Loni Anderson."  I haven't seen him for years but understand he's going to try to come to the next class reunion.

OJ was a really nice guy, way back then.  We used to live behind the Buffalo Bills Stadium and I would take my kids over to watch them practice.  He would always lift them over the fence and throw the ball around to them.  Then he went psycho....

My life is very boring now..,I haven't even seen a celeb since I caught a glimpse of Cher coming out of the airport with a scarf over her face...

:smitten:

Donna,

You have a way of making boring sound exciting, like I would enjoy munching on a bucket of popcorn while watching daily rushes of your life!  :laugh:

Sorry M...in NYS they are in the process of outlawing Buckets of Popcorn.  First the amount of soda you can buy, then the Starbucks coffee drinks and NOW the popcorn.  You're going to have to buy a bucket of broccoli. :idiot:

I was seated outside, dining at a fine restaurant in Boston. I looked twice and spotted Ben Affleck walking up the sidewalk. I was so excited when he make a turn and entered the restaurant. I was so thrilled to see him. I stood up, waved and yelled "Hi Ben!"  He stopped and looked at me (I had I big smile) waved& kept walking in to pick up his take-out.

It was funny because I felt like I knew him so well. After all, him and JLo used to sit a few rows in front of me at the Red Sox games (i used to stare more @ them than the game)for a couple yrs @ that time. I was also a big fan of his movies.

In that split second, I realized that Ben had no idea who I was! Hahaha!

Candy

Okay, we've all heard about the stupid and unnecessary banning of big sodas, but I don't know if you are being serious about bucket o' corn. Seriously Donna, if you would have told me last year that the Mayor of NYC was stupid enough to make a Big Gulp his public enemy #1, I wouln't have believed  it.  :D

But really, popcorn? Tell me you're kidding or I will no longer dream of making it big in the Big Apple!

Candy,

I know what you mean!! After years of buying records, cutting our articles, being a dedicated member of a fan club, traveling a couple thousand miles for a front row seat at a concert - I was certain that Barry Gibb would know me when I "officially" met him backstage at American Idol.

I died a thousand deaths and then had a good laugh when he barely tolerated me!  :laugh:

Of course we think they know us, of course they smile at us in passing. If they walked around showing their sheer indifference to us all the time, they would look just awful in all the candid photos now taken by all our curious cell phones!  :laugh: :laugh:  (That's mobile phones for those in the UK)

Gotta love our celebs!

It was so funny to me at the time!  It happened so quick. When I sat back down I was laughing and said to hubby, "he didn't recognize me!" He gave me a sarcastic "you're kidding!"

It's strange that Barry didn't recognize u either m.  :laugh: 

Candy

Yes, M...it's true.  I heard him with my own ears.  He said that once the soda issue is passed, he intends to limit the size of movie theatre snacks...especially popcorn.  THEN he said he will attack those high calorie coffee drinks.  Oh...and he is totally planning to ban the use of coconut oil in EVERYTHING, and that's what makes movie popcorn taste so good!

If he sets his sights on my Ring Dings and Ho Ho's, I'm moving to Outer Mongolia...and that's the truth.

Okay, now come on!  :tickedoff:

Why don't my imaginary neighbors (because in my mind, I live in Tribeca) get up in arms and get rid of this billionaire idiot! Are you kidding me?!? 

If we could show the New Yorkers of 1979 videos of this moron in action, can you imagine how they would react? A noble city brought to its knees and years of struggle to come back up, even surviving, even thriving after you know what date, and now the mayor says his first priority is watching waist bands expand 'cause people love to have a snack at the movies??  OMGosh!!

COME ON NEW YORK, BE WHO YOU ALWAYS WERE AND SHOW THIS IDIOT WHAT TRAIN TO GET ON TO RIDE INTO OBSCURITY!

Sorry Donna, I just had to yell to what must be very sleepy people in the City. Maybe they are all in a stupor from eating too many snacks.

I just don't understand the world anymore. I just don't.

M.

The wealthy that pay 90% of the taxes are moving out in droves.  You would think he would see that his city is becoming a sink hole.  I say cut them off at the Island and let them fend for themselves...then maybe they wouldn't continue to vote for buffoons.  one of our local gas stations has a banner waving across the front of the building that reads:  'In honor of Mayor Bloomberg we are offering any 64 oz fountain drink for $.79.'  Now that's what I;m talkin' about!

Wowzie Whoopsie, lucky you.  Is he tall, I picture him being tall. I am always in such a coma after a night flight I probably wouldn't recognize Mr. PG.  :D

I'd say he was around 6' tall PG.  He was dressed so casual, wore a white teashirt, jeans, cowboy boots and sunglasses ... forgot to mention that and, yes, me too, I am still in a coma of sorts.  Otherwise known as a wave but I know it will pass soon and I'll be back to enjoying the 90% recovery I was feeling the last 2 weeks.

You guys are so spirited and funny ... I love this thread and I love Kevin.  :-*

Hi Donna, can't sleep from tummy troubles?  You weren't trying to get a bucket of popcorn with a 94 oz Coke in under the wire were you? 

:laugh::smitten: