Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anybody had a celebrity encounter?

[mp...]

Robert Redford: I was in LA visiting family and walking around outside a building complex waiting for my mother to go to lunch. The sidewalk was completely devoid of people, it was eerily silent. There were trailers and vans parked up and down the streets. I didn't know it then, but these were the trailers used when filming TV/movies. I walked up and down the block wondering why no one was around in the middle of the day, and I turned around really quickly and full on body bashed into someone. I was really shaken, I tried to look into the face of the man that was holding me very securely by the waist and elbow, but I was looking into the sun.  But I knew that voice! "Are you okay? Where were you going in such a hurry?"  I was dumb struck, this was my big chance!  I could change my destiny. He would fall in love with me! Here's what I said: "Thank you Robert Redford I'm fine, you really are Robert Redford aren't you?" He laughed as he chewed his gum (still holding me  >:D ) He said, "Yep", he winked at me then walked into a trailer. Now get this for cool - I burst out crying!  :'(

I found out later that this was the filming of All the President's Men. I went back the next day and had my first encounter with Dustin Hoffman, a story for another post.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [mp...]

• [Wh...]

• [ch...]

• [Wi...]

There was (is?) a bar in Milwaukee called the Safe House.  It's totally set up like a speakeasy.  You can't tell it's a bar from the outside, and need to give a password to get in.  If you knew the password, the bookshelves opened up and you went downstairs.  If you didn't know the password, they made you do something silly - which you found out everyone downstairs witnessed on closed-circuit t.v. 

Anyway, the downstairs was full of all sorts of amusements.  For example, in the ladies' room, they had the Burt Reynold's centerfold spread blown up.  Over his crotch they had a fig leaf.  If someone lifted up the fig leaf to look under it, an alarm went off in the bar area.  Then, when the lady who peeked exited the restroom, everyone in the bar was laughing at her and teasing her!

I was there once when I was in college eons ago.  I'll have to find out if it still exists. 

emkbb

Oh my goodness, I really enjoyed your story!! It is so good laughing. Did you look under the leaf?  ;)

Well, does it count, that many years ago I went all the way with Michael J. Fox (in a dream)?  :o

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That is hysterical! Love it! A sub-thread would be to name those you've "been with" in a dream (or nightmare, depending) Let's see, I've been with Rob Lowe  :-* , Sylvester Stallone  :sick:, Barry Gibb  >:D >:D, actually Barry Gibb several times, until I actually met him  :( :( . Anymore for you besides the lovely Michael J. Fox?

Wow. These stories r great!  Wish I had the mental capacity to remember who said what or even just remember the stories. The BEST thing about benzo brain:  I can go back, read & laugh again like it's the first time!!  Also, history shows that I can repeat this cycle multiple times!  :laugh::yippee: candy

I am completely embarrassed to say "Richard Nixon".  :idiot:

:laugh:;D:D:o Oh my goodness, this is too good!  Really laughing now!  Was it during the presidency? Did you know about the tapes? Did you run into Pat?  Hysterical!  :D :D :D

Wow. These stories r great!  Wish I had the mental capacity to remember who said what or even just remember the stories. The BEST thing about benzo brain:  I can go back, read & laugh again like it's the first time!!  Also, history shows that I can repeat this cycle multiple times!  :laugh::yippee: candy

You know Candy, in all seriousness, my life is in tatters. I have almost zero short term memory, or little mid term memory. This sounds a lot like early onset Alzheimer's except for the fact that I can remember the very details of what to do at work (if I had a job). I am pretty much unable to read or comprehend difficult things (reading long blog entries or even stories). So, this thread, made by me, is really helping me. I get to use my brain to think and to laugh, my two favorite things!  :) I hope you get much enjoyment from the stories. I wish there were more light hearted topics on BB, I think we need it, I know I do.  :smitten:

:laugh:;D:D:o Oh my goodness, this is too good!  Really laughing now!  Was it during the presidency? Did you know about the tapes? Did you run into Pat?  Hysterical!  :D :D :D

Truthfully, it didn't happen to me, it happened to a g/f and this just twigged the memory.  We were both so floored and appalled, it just stuck with me.  It was during the Watergate scandal.  Poor girl, she's probably still traumatized.  :D

On to something else celebrity related, which may not count for much.  I owned an antique store and one day two ladies came in that were buying for a set of Lonesome Dove which was being filmed in our province.  It was the best day of sales for my store by far.  They went hog wild and never dickered on a single price.  They were there for hours and things were taken out by the truckload.  I am desperately trying to redeem myself here for the Richard Nixon comment.  :laugh:

Truthfully, it didn't happen to me, it happened to a g/f and this just twigged the memory.  We were both so floored and appalled, it just stuck with me.  It was during the Watergate scandal.  Poor girl, she's probably still traumatized.  :D

On to something else celebrity related, which may not count for much.  I owned an antique store and one day two ladies came in that were buying for a set of Lonesome Dove which was being filmed in our province.  It was the best day of sales for my store by far.  They went hog wild and never dickered on a single price.  They were there for hours and things were taken out by the truckload.  I am desperately trying to redeem myself here for the Richard Nixon comment.  :laugh:

Dear Whoopsie, You bring only good things to BB, never a need for redemption. Love the props/Lonsome Dove story - did you watch the movie to see if your items were in it?  Just imagine is something you once held with be captured on film forever? Cool.  8)

Jeez ... you know, I never did watch that program.  Thank you for the compliment ... I do try to only bring forward my best self here as wonky as that may be at times.  It ain't easy operating with a fried brain.  :crazy:

Please ... more stories everyone.  I love all of them.  :)

Okay Whoopsie, how about we "get physical" with a little Oliva Newton John story? Way back, when she was at her peak (Grease), there was a charity concert in Hollywood at a famous venue, "The Whiskey". My mother was gifted 2 free tickets as she had done work for the anti-drug organization sponsoring the program. This was an event for celebs, by celebs. A very star studded affair in 1979 where money was being raised to help, well I don't know, they probably just threw themselves a bigger party.  :D Anyway, I was my mom's "date". I was just 2 weeks out of brutal back surgery - I had been released from the hospital, but supposed to stay home. (By the way, never took pain meds after 2 days out of surgery, never could tolerate pain meds - irony!!) :(  There was a long line outside of the bar, including Cher, Robin Williams, Helen Reddy, lots of other 70's people. My mother went up to the burly door man and told him I had to go in, away from the crowds, velvet ropes, pushing fans and reporters. She was a tigress! He looked me up and down, then let us in, we had to sit right outside the kitchen and not make a sound. Kris Kristofferson threatened that if he saw anyone inside the stage area, he would walk and not perform. We hid. All of a sudden there was a lot of commotion at the door. Olivia Newton-John was being pulled by her elbow by her manager/boyfriend Lee Kramer. Kramer was screaming at the door man, "What do you mean we can't come in here? We are more important than anyone out there, anyone! Don't you know who OLN is???? How come ssshhheeee gggettttssss tooo beeee inn heerrree? (pointing to me!) It was explained why. ONJ was humiliated, but she stayed quite. They were told they could stay if they made no noise. Kramer demanded ONJ sit, but there was no other space available to sit. She had to stand next to me for 30 minutes until we were allowed to take our seats. Kramer was staring daggers at me THE WHOLE TIME. My mother kept muttering loudly under her breath that he was a pig. Oh my! I was litterally scared!  :o 

It was a fantastic evening filled with unforgettable performances. I was the youngest person in the audience and with my mom, I think, the only people NOT on drugs! Ha  :idiot:  What a crowd! They were beautiful though, for those brief moments. 

No, I didn't lift the fig leaf b/c I saw someone else get busted :laugh:

But I looked it up, and the Safe House is still in existence:

http://www.safe-house.com/

What fun!

Too awesome!  8) The next time I'm in the area, I will check it out. I have good friends in Chicago who go to Milwaukee a lot.  :)

Mplsgrl, I am sorry u r in a bad way :(. It seem that many of us have lived exciting lives thus far. I am glad to have found such funny, interesting peeps because this benzo withdrawal can b boring. Mplsgrl your memory WILL come back. Ok now more jokes please!  Candy

I was talking with Morgan Fairchild about plastic surgery when she pulled me into a room, lifted up her blouse, ran her hand up and down her midriff and said, "Go on, feel, try to find any indication of lipo!"  :o  I just couldn't, but I told her that I couldn't see anything, Yikes!  :laugh:

[ba...]

My husband accidentally hit Marla Maples in the head with a life jacket once.  :o

We were on a rafting trip in Oregon and she, her daughter, her daughter's friend and her boyfriend ( a pro football player who owned the motel we were staying in) hopped into the shuttle van at the last minute.  We had no idea who she was.  We thought it was strange that this pretty, perfectly coiffed, out-of-place woman was so chatty and friendly to us.  They were being dropped off before us and my husband got out to help unload the life jackets and bonked her in the forehead pretty good.  She was very gracious about it.  As he got back in the van, the driver immediately began talking about how hot Marla Maples was and that that was Donald Trump's daughter.  We actually still didn't know who Marla Maples was.  We had to ask everyone back home.  But she was really nice.  She and her daughter waved profusely at us later on as we rafted by their house on the river....like they had been waiting for us to float by. 

My family also hung out with Sarah Vaughan, the jazz singer, in the 70's at the San Diego Hilton.  She was watching her daughter do tumbling tricks on the lawn and was really friendly. She even told us her name. Again, none of us knew who she was till we saw on TV that night that she was in town for something. 

Loving your stories, mplsgrl!  Hope there's more!  :)

My husband accidentally hit Marla Maples in the head with a life jacket once.  :o

We were on a rafting trip in Oregon and she, her daughter, her daughter's friend and her boyfriend ( a pro football player who owned the motel we were staying in) hopped into the shuttle van at the last minute.  We had no idea who she was.  We thought it was strange that this pretty, perfectly coiffed, out-of-place woman was so chatty and friendly to us.  They were being dropped off before us and my husband got out to help unload the life jackets and bonked her in the forehead pretty good.  She was very gracious about it.  As he got back in the van, the driver immediately began talking about how hot Marla Maples was and that that was Donald Trump's daughter.  We actually still didn't know who Marla Maples was.  We had to ask everyone back home.  But she was really nice.  She and her daughter waved profusely at us later on as we rafted by their house on the river....like they had been waiting for us to float by. 

My family also hung out with Sarah Vaughan, the jazz singer, in the 70's at the San Diego Hilton.  She was watching her daughter do tumbling tricks on the lawn and was really friendly. She even told us her name. Again, none of us knew who she was till we saw on TV that night that she was in town for something. 

Loving your stories, mplsgrl!  Hope there's more!  :)

Hi Puffin, nice to meet you. Glad you like this thread, it's been my delightful therapy.  :D I know of Marla and Tiffany Trump, also Sarah Vaughn, but I have to admit I wouldn't have known who they are either!  :laugh:  It's funny about celebrities, even when we don't know who they are, they are possessed of a certain self-awareness (or something) that makes them stand out in a way that we "normal" folks just do not. When they walk around this city, you always know when someone is "famous" even if you don't know why. They kind of act like "don't recognize me or bother me, hurry up - recognize me already!" I do think most of them want it both ways. Maybe that's why Marla Maples was so outgoing with you.  ;)

I'm trying to think of more stories I can tell that will not ruin any confidences or get anybody in trouble. Cause I'm so darned nice (being from Minnesota and all!)  ::)

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q540/Skyy52/100_0275.jpg  Paul McCartney in March of 2010.

I met and became friends with Paul's current drummer, Abe Laboriel, Jr., in California.  My mother was a huge Beatles fan and Abe invited us to the sound check prior to the show in Arizona and to meet Paul.  After the sound check we met Abe and Paul back stage and were able to chat for a few minutes.  My mom was in heaven.  I honestly do not remember very much, as I was still on a hefty dose of benzos!  Figures huh?  She was like a teenager afterwards!  Thank goodness we have pictures.  This meant so much to me as my Mom passed away that September.  I know it was a thrill for her and for me to see her so excited.

Skyy

Hi Skyy, what a fantastic story!! So glad to see your picture. How wonderful your mom got to talk with the Maca. I am deeply sorry for your loss.

I've read a lot of your posts, just luv ya!  ;D

M. (my new signature to make it easy on the girls!)

Many years ago I was in Santa Fe' and I was at a nightclub that was very hip for locals to hang out.  I was dancing and when I looked at the man who was dancing next to me it was Danny Glover.  We caught eyes and he smiled, I gave him a look like I reconized him but wasn't going to bother him.  He was dancing with a short oriental girl with very long black hair.

My mother was with me when this happened and she wanted me to tell: We were in Bloomingdales and we saw one of my favorite actresses, Judith Light, looking around for help. It was one of those days when there are just no sales people in sight. She stood near the jewelry counter, spread her hands out wide, and said loudly, " Can anyone tell me where woman's shoes are?" I walked up to her and said,"They're on woman's feet, Judith Light!" She laughed hard. It put her in a better mood, and I showed her where the shoe department was.

If you have read my posts on this thread, you'll see that one of my "things" is to say the celebrities name to them. I really do this, they seem to like to hear their own names.  They usually ask for mine in return.  :)

Do these have to be funny mplsgrl? This isn't funny but Ill say it anyway

I was at cirque du solei in Redondo Beach and when the show was over I was mingling outside with my husband and their was Kevin Coster with his 2 sons, he was really trying to avoid looking at people but I couldn't help staring at him for a little while (he didn't see me) He is so good looking even more handsome then he is on screen and I think he is pretty damn good lookin there.  As I was looking around there was Jay Leno facing me talking to two very buxom women who had there backs to me.  Jay looked up and gave me a smile, he was very out in the open, laughing and talking loud, no hiding there, but he looked exactly like he does on TV.  Seems like a nice guy, was always smiling.

Hi, I think what we all decided is that any/all encounters with celebs are interesting to us, so post away. I would change the name of the thread if I could...good story about Kevin and Jay!  I was going to post my story about Jay later, it's funny that you mentioned "buxom" in the same sentence with him, he does seem to enjoy, er, looking at the lady and lady parts.  :laugh: 

M.