Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anybody had a celebrity encounter?

[mp...]

Hi Sarah, you are very funny, which if you are getting to know me, is just my favorite thing on Earth. What time is the happy hour, I know you are in America, I don't know which coast "lg" is in. I will not only bring my monkey, I will shave him first.  :crazy:

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [mp...]

• [Wh...]

• [ch...]

• [Wi...]

Love hearing all these stories ... good or bad or insignificant, keep em coming please.  :)  Oh, by the way,  :'( , that's for Elvis DOA.

Charlie,

I cannot believe you brought up Jeff Goldblum. I have always thought that about him. He seems hypnotizing. Him and Ray Liotta, and I also like Kevin Spacey.

In vegas a while back at Caesars Palace in Cleopatra's barge, I was waiting to meet my BF as he was at a work function. I was at the bar and the man next to me reminded me of Red Foxx who my father adored and imitated often. I said you remind me of Red Foxx, and he said in his raspy voice "In the flesh". I laughed and apologized. He was very nice and chatty, kind of entertained all of us at the bar. I introduced him when my BF arrived and he stood up to shake his hand. He was so nice. My bf went for his wallet, and Mr. Foxx waved it away. Reminds me of the "old" vegas. My Dad loves that story.

More recently I met a more famous fox, Jaime Fox at a nightclub where my friend worked. The club stayed open after closing hours for his entourage and his family (It was his sisters birthday). I was allowed to stay thanks to my friend who was working the event. I didn't recognize anyone else, but he bought shots for the bar and walked around with the tray himself on the dance floor. I turned around, not quite face to face..he's short I'm tall, but he had the tray of drinks and offered and said "are you having a good time?" I said that I was, and thanked him and said "You are so nice." Because I'm rediculous that way.

Oh, and back when I used to do amatuer stand up, I was the opener for Paula Poundstone in our little town at a small comic venue. Although she was funny onstage, she was really rude to everyone there including the me and the other comics as well as the staff. That was not fun.

Oh, and I did Doug Bensons, the comic who did "Super High" me. I did his nails when I worked at an upscale spa. I didn't know who he was. I asked him what he did, and he told me he was here for work. His eyes were closed the entire time. lol. He was super nice but clearly high. and I felt bad later when everyone told me who he was. I finally watched his show, and wished I had known, I would have liked to have talked about his show. Eh, happens.

Great thread mplsgrl~ Saw you at the bad bf thread...happy hour there tomorrow night...bring your monkey. lol

S~

Hi Sarah, :yippee:

Paula Poundstone is one of my favorite female comedians.  What a shame... :'(  Maybe Paula was nice to me because I met her at Richard Pryor's house. :laugh:

How are you my friend? :smitten:

Charlie :smitten:

Love hearing all these stories ... good or bad or insignificant, keep em coming please.  :)  Oh, by the way,  :'( , that's for Elvis DOA.

I knew you would be  :-[ sad about Elvis when I read it.  Elizabeth Taylor story:  During the time she was married to US Senator, John Warner, she had a display of some of her jewelry at a dept store near Beverly Hills. I had a pass to look at things early. I was quietly looking at the display cases and someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around, looked down, there she was.  Not looking at all like she had in the past (these were here worst years in looks) she took my hand in her teeny tiny bloated hand and said (out of nowhere) " You must remember to always wear large, important pieces of jewelry, no matter what is in style. You have a large important personality, and your jewelry must match that, always." Then she walked away as I was saying out loud, "Okay Elizabeth Taylor, whatever you say." I have always followed her advice.  Weird postscript, 2 years ago a woman who identified herself as a psychic walked up to me (out of the blue, again!) and said, believe it or not, "What did Elizabeth Taylor tell you?"  I was stunned.  She said she had no idea why she asked me that.  :o

OMG, you guys have the best stories!

Charlie,

I think Paula is funny, too. Richard Pryors house? Very cool! I think he is funny, too. My Dad is pretty funny and he likes Richard Pryor. 

Lucky!

S~

Sony Bono... in Palm Springs at his restaurant.  A really personable person.  He sat down at our table and we just talked and talked.  Nice guy!  Pattylu

On the morning of 9/11... I was scheduled to do a Frasier shoot.  Of course it was cancelled, and rescheduled shortly thereafter.  We were all in shock, and most of us had lost friends in the twin towers that day, including me. 

I was still in shock on the reshoot, as many of us were.  I ended up sitting at a bar in a private studio in LA next to Kelsey Grammer.  He was eating an enormous plate of shrimp, and I was so tired and upset, and the smell of shrimp made me feel sick that day even though I love shrimp, I said something like, "REALLY?"  I just didn't care about anything superficial, or any food group in that moment. 

And to this day can't tell you why that plate of shrimp bothered me so much at 10:30 in the morning. :o  But it did for whatever crazy reason.  He looked at me and realized how deeply sad I was, and teared up himself, and said something I'll never forget. 

He looked me straight in my teared up eyes and said,...."I know."  We just sat there together and held hands for a moment and cried silently.  That is why I love Kelsey Grammer.

It was one of those truly poignant and human moments...

That's a sad story, Charlie. I dont think anyone can think about that day and not be sad. :(

I do like Kelsey Grammer, though. I've read that hes a nice guy to work with. I loved him on Frasier. He was so self absorbed in an endearing way. lol.

Wow, you have had an intereting career! Fun!

That's a sad story, Charlie. I dont think anyone can think about that day and not be sad. :(

I do like Kelsey Grammer, though. I've read that hes a nice guy to work with. I loved him on Frasier. He was so self absorbed in an endearing way. lol.

Wow, you have had an intereting career! Fun!

Honestly Sarah,  :mybuddy:    (Just so you know... I'm literally drowning in sweat...don't say anything, okay?...Perimenopause sucks, right?  It sounds like an open mike doesn't it....Pauseeeee...  I'm just saying...Off topic...I know...But still...Between the benzo w/d and this...I know...whatever...)

I have never met a truly talented person that wasn't a little bit self absorbed, or a tiny bit crazy.  :idiot: Especially comedians...UT OH... :-[

And Challis is on, and acting all coy and everything... ::)

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj561/charlie3912/0c9c4dd2a75e2.gif

Oh, Challis...

Obviously, I'm suffering from insomnia tonight.    ::)    So I just wanted to post one of my favorite wake up dances for the followers of this thread....

Sarah and Challis, you know how I am.... :-[  I had no choice...

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj561/charlie3912/dancing-koala1.gif

Many years ago I was at a jazz club called " The Basement", with a group of people who seemed to know the doorman who sat with us at our table for awhile.  Another man then  joined us & I asked if he was Irish he said that " yes he was Irish but that he lived in Switzerland". The man turned out to be Sir James Galway the internationally renowned flautist, but I did not know who I was talking to at  at the time . Silly me guess that I liked pop music more.  :-[

This is about an encounter I only had in my mind. When I was a child, and John Denver was really hot (he was!) I had a very, very vivid dream that I held up the newspaper which had a large, bold head line: John Denver Dies in Plane Crash. This seemed more than a dream. I was so upset that my mother didn't want me to go to school. I kept begging her to try and call John Denver, but of course, that was impossible.

Fast forward over 20 years: I couldn't sleep one morning before work. I got up and rumaged through my music tapes, not knowing what I was look for. I found John Denver's greatest hits, and put in on "loud". I turned the TV on for company, with the sound off.  There was a breaking news bulletin that someone's small plane had gone down in Monterey, but there was no info on identity yet. I knew it was John Denver. It was, indeed. They never found his head.  :'( 

This is about an encounter I only had in my mind. When I was a child, and John Denver was really hot (he was!) I had a very, very vivid dream that I held up the newspaper which had a large, bold head line: John Denver Dies in Plane Crash. This seemed more than a dream. I was so upset that my mother didn't want me to go to school. I kept begging her to try and call John Denver, but of course, that was impossible.

Fast forward over 20 years: I couldn't sleep one morning before work. I got up and rumaged through my music tapes, not knowing what I was look for. I found John Denver's greatest hits, and put in on "loud". I turned the TV on for company, with the sound off.  There was a breaking news bulletin that someone's small plane had gone down in Monterey, but there was no info on identity yet. I knew it was John Denver. It was, indeed. They never found his head.  :'( 

It's funny (not really in the ha ha sense) that you mention John Denver.  I live in CO and grew up with and have always loved his music (didn't alway make me so popular with the Led Zepplin, Rush or Kiss people tho lol)  But his music to me is like comfort food and in the worst of my w/d, when I feel nothing but pain and distress and can not get relief, I listen to him, over and over and it is the only thing that allows me to feel anything but pain.  (I've also rediscovered Cat Stevens during w/d <thanks to you 2b's>.) amazing what power music can have

When he died, as horrible as that was, I felt there was a bizarre symmetry to it between his song Rocky Mtn High, where he loses a friend in a similar way.  Maybe it's just me, but again, despite the loss of someone way before his time, in my bizarre mind, it actually made sense in a weird kind of way.    Weird I know.

To lighten this up (ok maybe not a lot but some lol)...I met Bruce Jenner, post plastic surgery but pre the Kardasians.  He was doing signings at a conference.  He did not look as though he felt especially proud to be there however.

I also dated a guy who ended up as Cosmopolitan magazines "Most Eligible Bachelor".  I'm not entirely sure what that says about him...or me for that matter lol

It was hard to be a die-hard John Denver fan in that era indeed! He went to college, and met Annie in Minnesota, so even though he is completely self identified with your beautiful state, Minnesotans of a certain age like to partially claim him too  ::) Minnesotans like to take credit whenever we can!  Great music to this day, and it has that rare ability to make me both happy and said.

About your bachelor, I guess he must have been just a little too eligible for you.  :laugh:

I enjoy your posts, I admire your blend of smarts with funny.  :D

It wasn't funny, and there probably aren't many people on here that will know these people, but I did meet Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon of the band 'Sonic Youth'. 

Yes it was hard. Glad I'm not the only one!  And considering  he was born Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr., and was born in Roswell, New Mexico, you have every right to claim him as much as we do here.  Funny thing is they are going to name a mountain after him.  So in effect they are naming a mountain Mt. Denver after a man who named himself after the capital of a city in the state the mountain is.  Something a little hokey about that.  But I'm good with it lol

As far as the bachelor, in the article about it, he said his "type" was a nice southern belle.  Granted I lived in south Denver, but don't think that actually counts lol. 

About the smarts and funny...ditto babe  :laugh:

Yes it was hard. Glad I'm not the only one!  And considering  he was born Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr., and was born in Roswell, New Mexico, you have every right to claim him as much as we do here.  Funny thing is they are going to name a mountain after him.  So in effect they are naming a mountain Mt. Denver after a man who named himself after the capital of a city in the state the mountain is.  Something a little hokey about that.  But I'm good with it lol

As far as the bachelor, in the article about it, he said his "type" was a nice southern belle.  Granted I lived in south Denver, but don't think that actually counts lol. 

You made me laugh again, I had forgotten his real name. Did you see the TV special he made with Danny Kaye featuring his real name? I remember I kept forcing myself to try to find him attractive.  ??? Didn't ever work!  Mt.Denver - Mr.Denver: Who's on first? Very funny observation.

Funny memory of Cosmo: My grandmother had a subscription. The way she reacted to Burt Reynolds "nude" centerfold was priceless. She kept it socked away inside a cupboard above the refrigerator. Well, she used a step ladder to put it there and later I used same ladder to take it down.  She wasn't too furious when she found out, she just wanted to know if I thought he might be circumcised  :laugh: .

I saw Goober Pyle once!  :yippee: I don't even know his real name. He ate in a restaurant I worked in. He wasn't very gracious, unfortunately.

Oh, and I was in Evergreen, CO eating on the patio beside a golf course. Willie Nelson arrived and teed off. I grabbed my camera but my friend stopped me and asked me to let him be since this was his home. I thought that was nice.  ;)

I saw Goober Pyle once!  :yippee: I don't even know his real name. He ate in a restaurant I worked in. He wasn't very gracious, unfortunately.

Oh, and I was in Evergreen, CO eating on the patio beside a golf course. Willie Nelson arrived and teed off. I grabbed my camera but my friend stopped me and asked me to let him be since this was his home. I thought that was nice.  ;)

Thanks for sharing. You know, I find it difficult to imagine Willie Nelson (puff puff) suited up to play golf, it seems so wrong somehow.  :laugh: It is fun to be near the famous "out of context" isn't it?  ;D

You made me laugh again, I had forgotten his real name. Did you see the TV special he made with Danny Kaye featuring his real name? I remember I kept forcing myself to try to find him attractive.  ??? Didn't ever work!  Mt.Denver - Mr.Denver: Who's on first? Very funny observation.

Funny memory of Cosmo: My grandmother had a subscription. The way she reacted to Burt Reynolds "nude" centerfold was priceless. She kept it socked away inside a cupboard above the refrigerator. Well, she used a step ladder to put it there and later I used same ladder to take it down.  She wasn't too furious when she found out, she just wanted to know if I thought he might be circumcised  :laugh: .

For shame!!! Was he?  >:D

:o Oh the image burned into my little eager eyes, a two page spread, full color. There was Burt lying on his right side, cigar in mouth. This was a very furry man! Right leg down, left leg up. Left hand casually draped in crotch. Only Loni Anderon (Judy Carne, Dinah Shore, Sally Field et. al.) would know the "ugly truth".  :D   

Side note: Oh how I wish I rembered what I did yesterday as well as I remember 40 years ago.  :-[ 

There was (is?) a bar in Milwaukee called the Safe House.  It's totally set up like a speakeasy.  You can't tell it's a bar from the outside, and need to give a password to get in.  If you knew the password, the bookshelves opened up and you went downstairs.  If you didn't know the password, they made you do something silly - which you found out everyone downstairs witnessed on closed-circuit t.v. 

Anyway, the downstairs was full of all sorts of amusements.  For example, in the ladies' room, they had the Burt Reynold's centerfold spread blown up.  Over his crotch they had a fig leaf.  If someone lifted up the fig leaf to look under it, an alarm went off in the bar area.  Then, when the lady who peeked exited the restroom, everyone in the bar was laughing at her and teasing her!

I was there once when I was in college eons ago.  I'll have to find out if it still exists. 

emkbb