Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anybody had a celebrity encounter?

[mp...]

charlie39: Sounds like you definitely had more of an "in" job than I did, I just worked in retail in Minneapolis and LA, now work in Medical field. I can certainly agree with you on: Barbra Streisand and Faye Dunaway!  I met Dennis at a club where his band played, 2005 or 6, he was very nice, charming, met my whole group. He didn't look very good though, and I had always had a crush on him!  Which Baldwin did you did, if I may ask? 

Working with/for the celebs can be exhilarating and exhausting, right?

I dated Daniel in my twenties.  At that time I owned an event/catering company in New York City.  Dennis might have just been in a very BAD mood the day I worked with him, and you're right, he looked nothing like I expected.

I was a producer for an art director in Hollywood.  We worked all over the country depending on the project.  Mostly in Los Angeles and New York.

Celebrities are just people.  It was exhilarating to meet genuinely funny, kind, talented, complicated souls.  It was exhausting to work with spoiled ego maniacs, or just difficult people.  It's a weird industry in general.  I must say I don't miss it.  I wouldn't mind if I never met another celebrity again. :laugh:

Charlie

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [mp...]

• [Wh...]

• [ch...]

• [Wi...]

Thanks for sharing. And you are right, after all, People Are Their Principles no matter famous or not!

About Jeff Goldbluhm, never met him, always wanted to. I know he's not classicly handsome, but, I find intelligence the most attractive thing and he is brilliant, and funny. He has a very slow, sensual nature about him, and you can tell he's very tactile.  ::)

Bo Diddly was a master musician but a lousy tipper and Harry Chapin kissed me when I was 14  :smitten:

Small potatoes compared to you guys, but thrilling nonetheless :)

Thanks for sharing. And you are right, after all, People Are Their Principles no matter famous or not!

About Jeff Goldbluhm, never met him, always wanted to. I know he's not classicly handsome, but, I find intelligence the most attractive thing and he is brilliant, and funny. He has a very slow, sensual nature about him, and you can tell he's very tactile.  ::)

I LIKE tactile  >:D

:smitten: Wow, I loved Harry Chapin, still get teary eyed hearing Cat's In the Cradle.  As a young girl, did you say, yuck?  :) and p.s. I love tactile (with the right person!) :P

I met Stephen King when I was nineteen.  He was dating his future wife Tabitha then, and I was visiting at her house.  He had long shaggy hair, wore a leather biker jacket and rode a Harley.  Her parents were absolutely horrified and didn't approve of him at all.  Goes to show you...don't judge a book (a book?) by its cover...

Challis

I met Stephen King when I was nineteen.  He was dating his future wife Tabitha then, and I was visiting at her house.  He had long shaggy hair, wore a leather biker jacket and rode a Harley.  Her parents were absolutely horrified and didn't approve of him at all.  Goes to show you...don't judge a book (a book?) by its cover...

Challis

Great story! Up until his tragic accident, I don't think he changed much since you met him. Was he funny?

I felt Jeff Goldblum coming before he entered the room. :o  He moves like a cat, and is much better looking in person.  He touched my shoulder in passing and I literally went weak in the knees. :-[  I'm not exaggerating when I say that I felt a little bit of electricity run through me. :o  I have met better looking men that couldn't touch this man's animal magnetism.

Charlie :smitten:

Challis

Great story! Up until his tragic accident, I don't think he changed much since you met him. Was he funny?

Well, here's is the whole story:  he drove up to the back door on his motorcycle, grunted something at Tabitha, roared the engine a bit and took off.  Big celebrity encounter, huh?!  Only one I've got... :laugh:

Wait!! No, it isn't!  Our town had a charity basketball game with the Oakland Raiders in the mid 70s (yes, basketball with football players  :idiot: ) and they all came over for a huge party at our house afterwards.  I met the players but the one I remember most was John Matuszak, who picked me up and put me in the crook of his arm and someone took a picture.  Later, a group of mentally handicapped people came in and he was incredibly kind, gentle and gracious to them.  I was so very impressed with him for that.

Challis

Challis

Well, here's is the whole story:  he drove up to the back door on his motorcycle, grunted something at Tabitha, roared the engine a bit and took off.  Big celebrity encounter, huh?!  Only one I've got... :laugh:

Wait!! No, it isn't!  Our town had a charity basketball game with the Oakland Raiders in the mid 70s (yes, basketball with football players  :idiot: ) and they all came over for a huge party at our house afterwards.  I met the players but the one I remember most was John Matuszak, who picked me up and put me in the crook of his arm and someone took a picture.  Later, a group of mentally handicapped people came in and he was incredibly kind, gentle and gracious to them.  I was so very impressed with him for that.

Challis

Too funny, I laughed out loud at your "true story". Sorry, I don't know who John M. is  :-\

:P I just thought of one of my favorite encounters - I don't know if anyone will remember:  Jan Michael Vincent.  Back when I was young, I had some big old eye glasses.  One day the stem broke, and I couldn't afford a new pair of glasses, so I went to a store in Beverly Hills for repair estimate. It was a super tiny store with barely enough room for 2 people.  The optician tech took my glasses and went in "the back" to look for a new stem. In walked Jan Michael - this was wayyyy back when he was at his peak! He had on a denim shirt unbuttoned, and faded jeans painted on. His hair: Super blond, eyes - super blue.  He sat next to me - our thighs touched  :o When the lady got back, she held them out to me.  He took them from her and put them on my head, holding the sides of my head with his hands, and pressing his knees in to me..... oy vey!  His face was a few inches from mine, and he asked me if I was happy with my repair. Yesssss, actually, I couldn't even see straight.  I do not even remember what the charge was, but it was a priceless experience.  So very sad how he ended up, bless him!  :sick:

Oh my, I just googled Jan Michael Vincent ... what a hunk of burning love in his younger years.  I could just feel how you felt in that experience the way you described it ... what a rush.  LOL

I had a pseudo-stalker encounter with Julie Andrews in Chicago years ago.  She had just completed two performances of "Victor/Victoria" which they were prepping for Broadway.  My friends and I went into the alley behind the theatre to see if we could meet her.  A line formed and a man came out and said Ms. Andrews was too tired to sign autographs b/c of doing two shows.  Some people left.  I assessed the situation and noticed that a car was parked further down the alley that would pull up and whisk them away.  So, I crossed the alley and stood right by the stage door.  Everyone else stayed across the alley.  Sure enough, the car pulled up.  Blake Edwards got in the front and three women got in the back - Julie in the middle.  I stuck my head in the car and said "Ms. Andrews, Christopher Plummer said to say hello."  (I figured I could fib my way through this b/c he and my parents used the same dry cleaner in CT).  Her friend (closest to me) said, "Did you hear that, Jules, Christopher Plummer said hello."  In a tired, but very distinct voice, she said, "Oh, that's marvelous!"  I nearly fainted.  I stepped away so they could drive off, but have never forgotten my brush with a true legend! 

I had a pseudo-stalker encounter with Julie Andrews in Chicago years ago.  She had just completed two performances of "Victor/Victoria" which they were prepping for Broadway.  My friends and I went into the alley behind the theatre to see if we could meet her.  A line formed and a man came out and said Ms. Andrews was too tired to sign autographs b/c of doing two shows.  Some people left.  I assessed the situation and noticed that a car was parked further down the alley that would pull up and whisk them away.  So, I crossed the alley and stood right by the stage door.  Everyone else stayed across the alley.  Sure enough, the car pulled up.  Blake Edwards got in the front and three women got in the back - Julie in the middle.  I stuck my head in the car and said "Ms. Andrews, Christopher Plummer said to say hello."  (I figured I could fib my way through this b/c he and my parents used the same dry cleaner in CT).  Her friend (closest to me) said, "Did you hear that, Jules, Christopher Plummer said hello."  In a tired, but very distinct voice, she said, "Oh, that's marvelous!"  I nearly fainted.  I stepped away so they could drive off, but have never forgotten my brush with a true legend! 

Great, great story! I met her when she opened the show off Broadway in Minneapolis, very cool attitude, but nice. Great use of imagination on your part.  :laugh:

So funny...My friend Betty Buckley was doing Cats on broadway, and I used to sit back stage more times than I'd like to remember.  It was chaotic and the cat actors got very "catty"  :laugh: with each other on more than a few occasions. 

I swear I can't listen to that production one more time for the rest of my life!  Same goes for, "Into The Woods". and Auntie Mame.  Bernadette Peters either took over the role in Into The Woods from Betty, or vise versa.  I can't remember.  But I can tell you that Bernadette is very talented, and very cool. :thumbsup:

Someday I will tell you the cigarette girl story with Joan Collins.  I'm still annoyed... :tickedoff:

Charlie ;)

So funny...My friend Betty Buckley was doing Cats on broadway, and I used to sit back stage more times than I'd like to remember.  It was chaotic and the cat actors got very "catty"  :laugh: with each other on more than a few occasions. 

I swear I can't listen to that production one more time for the rest of my life!  Same goes for, "Into The Woods". and Auntie Mame.  Bernadette Peters either took over the role in Into The Woods from Betty, or vise versa.  I can't remember.  But I can tell you that Bernadette is very talented, and very cool. :thumbsup:

Someday I will tell you the cigarette girl story with Joan Collins.  I'm still annoyed... :tickedoff:

Charlie ;)

Both those ladies are so very talented! Did you ever cough up any fur balls?  :laugh: Please, please tell the cigarette/Joan Collins story  :'(

I cared for Roy Orbison in Critical Care right after his heart surgery when I was a nurse in Nashville.  I also met Johnny Cash at the same hospital Critical Care and spoke with him at length about the condition of a band member of his who was terminal.  They both were very modest and unassuming people and very nice to the staff and Johnny particularly was very sad about his band member.  Yes , he really did introduce humself to me by saying "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash" and he did always dress in all black.  Roy, in trying to explain who he was said to me"Have you heard the song "Blue Bayou?" and I said of course because Linda Rondstadt had covered it and it was all over the airways that year.  So he said very modestly and almost shyly, "Well I wrote that song." Roy's wife was , I think German(?) and she brought homemade cookies to the staff when she came to visit.  I took care of Jerry Lee Lewis and his sister Linda Gail in Memphis, but I won't comment on them.  ::)Also I worked at Baptist Hospital there where Elvis was a patient many time.  It was a 20 story hospital and Elvis would have a whole floor to himself for all his mafia, family, special staff etc.  I lived and worked there when he was brought in DOA in 1977.  Does these count as celebrity encounters?

MiniMinnie

MiniMinnie

I cared for Roy Orbison in Critical Care right after his heart surgery when I was a nurse in Nashville.  I also met Johnny Cash at the same hospital Critical Care and spoke with him at length about the condition of a band member of his who was terminal.  They both were very modest and unassuming people and very nice to the staff and Johnny particularly was very sad about his band member.  Yes , he really did introduce humself to me by saying "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash" and he did always dress in all black.  Roy, in trying to explain who he was said to me"Have you heard the song "Blue Bayou?" and I said of course because Linda Rondstadt had covered it and it was all over the airways that year.  So he said very modestly and almost shyly, "Well I wrote that song." Roy's wife was , I think German(?) and she brought homemade cookies to the staff when she came to visit.  I took care of Jerry Lee Lewis and his sister Linda Gail in Memphis, but I won't comment on them.  ::)Also I worked at Baptist Hospital there where Elvis was a patient many time.  It was a 20 story hospital and Elvis would have a whole floor to himself for all his mafia, family, special staff etc.  I lived and worked there when he was brought in DOA in 1977.  Does these count as celebrity encounters?

MiniMinnie

MiniMinnie

Wow, Minnie, it sure does. I guess when I started this thread, I should have just said celebrity encounters, not funny ones. Whoops,  :oops: but in a way, all celebrity encounters are kind of funny, because they simply are not our everyday experience!  ;D Yikes, Elvis DOA!

Great, great story! I met her when she opened the show off Broadway in Minneapolis, very cool attitude, but nice. Great use of imagination on your part.  :laugh:

She certainly gets around lol...my mom took a master's writing class with her daughter last year.  My mom told her that my favorite book when I was young was "Mandy", a childrens book she wrote many years ago.  A few weeks before the Christmas holidays, I got a package from my mom. I opened it and it was a copy of Mandy, autographed by Julie Andrews Edwards, with a personal note to me :) .  It is now one of my most proud possessions

Charlie ;)

Both those ladies are so very talented! Did you ever cough up any fur balls?  :laugh: Please, please tell the cigarette/Joan Collins story  :'(

I promise I will sometime.  Okay, I'll try... ::) 

It was on a shoot for "These Old Broads" with Elizabeth Taylor, Debbie Reynolds, Joan Colins, and Shirley McClain.  Elizabeth was fun and a hoot, as always.  Shirley was a true thespian through and through, intense, and if intelligence could kill... :o  Debbie, true old hollywood star.  Gracious and respectful of EVERYONE.  And then there's Joan...who wanted to bum a Marlboro light, and I was dumb enough to offer one of mine. :-\  I know!  I Shouldn't smoke! :-[  And it just got worse from there. 

This was a closed set and we were all on a large sound stage.  I wasn't nearby her in one of her "needing a cig" moments, and she of course had forgotten my name, even though I had told her the previous five times she asked me... ::)  So she stands there on the stage and yells, http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj561/charlie3912/Small%20Emoticons/bek0351-1.gif  Cigarette girl!  Then she spots me and waves me over...I don't know if my head actually did a Linda Blair in the Exorcist... :o But I was told later that my response was equally vociferous.  My answer was ...No.  http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj561/charlie3912/Small%20Emoticons/italianflick1.gif

People who were there laugh to this day about the expression on her face... :o

I don't feel very funny today.  http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj561/charlie3912/Small%20Emoticons/sSc_thud1.gif I hope you get the picture, though... :P

An autographed copy of Mandy, wow, I remember when that came out. How special for you, indeed!  Julie and her daughter were just recently on the Today show together, nice.

Charlie ;)

I promise I will sometime.  Okay, I'll try... 

It was on a shoot for "These Old Broads" with Elizabeth Taylor, Debbie Reynolds, Joan Colins, and Shirley McClain.  Elizabeth was fun and a hoot, as always.  Shirley was a true thespian through and through.  Intense and if intelligence could kill... :o  Debbie, true old hollywood star.  Gracious and respectful of EVERYONE.  And then there's Joan...who wanted to bum a Marlboro light, and I was dumb enough to offer one of mine. :-\  I know!  I Shouldn't smoke! :-[  And it just got worse from there. 

This was a closed set and we were all on a large sound stage.  I wasn't nearby her in one of her needing a cig moments, and she of course had forgotten my name, even though I had told her the previous five times she asked me... So she stands there on the stage and yells, Cigarette girl!  Then she spots me and waves me over...I don't know if my head actually did a Linda Blair in the Exorcist...But I was told later that my response was equally vociferous.  My answer was ...No.

People who were there laugh to this day about the expression on her face... :o

I don't feel very funny today.  I hope you get the picture, though... :P

Oh Charlie - how very funny, it's like I'm having the video playback as I read your story, good job by the way. You made me laugh out loud. Yeah!  :-*  Thank you.

Does accidentally kissing a top female French executive on the lips count? :-[  Now that's a funny story. :2funny:  I'm still blushing over 20 years later... :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Charlie :-[

Does accidentally kissing a top French executive on the lips count? :-[  Now that's a funny story. :2funny:  I'm still blushing over 20 years later... :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Charlie :-[

Charlie, I think it counts in France  :thumbsup:

Charlie,

I cannot believe you brought up Jeff Goldblum. I have always thought that about him. He seems hypnotizing. Him and Ray Liotta, and I also like Kevin Spacey.

In vegas a while back at Caesars Palace in Cleopatra's barge, I was waiting to meet my BF as he was at a work function. I was at the bar and the man next to me reminded me of Red Foxx who my father adored and imitated often. I said you remind me of Red Foxx, and he said in his raspy voice "In the flesh". I laughed and apologized. He was very nice and chatty, kind of entertained all of us at the bar. I introduced him when my BF arrived and he stood up to shake his hand. He was so nice. My bf went for his wallet, and Mr. Foxx waved it away. Reminds me of the "old" vegas. My Dad loves that story.

More recently I met a more famous fox, Jaime Fox at a nightclub where my friend worked. The club stayed open after closing hours for his entourage and his family (It was his sisters birthday). I was allowed to stay thanks to my friend who was working the event. I didn't recognize anyone else, but he bought shots for the bar and walked around with the tray himself on the dance floor. I turned around, not quite face to face..he's short I'm tall, but he had the tray of drinks and offered and said "are you having a good time?" I said that I was, and thanked him and said "You are so nice." Because I'm rediculous that way.

Oh, and back when I used to do amatuer stand up, I was the opener for Paula Poundstone in our little town at a small comic venue. Although she was funny onstage, she was really rude to everyone there including the me and the other comics as well as the staff. That was not fun.

Oh, and I did Doug Bensons, the comic who did "Super High" me. I did his nails when I worked at an upscale spa. I didn't know who he was. I asked him what he did, and he told me he was here for work. His eyes were closed the entire time. lol. He was super nice but clearly high. and I felt bad later when everyone told me who he was. I finally watched his show, and wished I had known, I would have liked to have talked about his show. Eh, happens.

Great thread mplsgrl~ Saw you at the bad bf thread...happy hour there tomorrow night...bring your monkey. lol

S~