Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

For the record I'm a human too!

[53...]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ho...]

• [Ro...]

• [Ch...]

• [os...]

Jane,

We do not judge you here.  We are all here to aid one another in coming off of these drugs.  You are to be commended for taking the steps to better your life.  Welcome aboard.

Sincerely,

fg

hey rob not to put u on blast but i believe u were in the same chatroom.

just saying.

It's ok. I'm not feeling "on blast". maybe BB needs to rethink opening theirs or putting it above "the help desk"? Good luck to you Jane and I respect that you are trying to go the good path. Keep up the good fight and sorry for your inconvenience. BB is a nice site. Tomorrow you will wake up with a new perspective and continue the fight.

Best wishes, Robb

[53...]

No, your handle was in there...Im 100% positive. It may or may not be you and I say that cause there was a lot of misunderstanding and pieces to the puzzle that I cant even put together...Either way like the saying, "It all comes out in the wash," time will tell and castoriadis maybe will speak up.

God Bless, goodnight everyone and stay safe and strong  :)

No, your handle was in there...Im 100% positive. It may or may not be you and I say that cause there was a lot of misunderstanding and pieces to the puzzle that I cant even put together...Either way like the saying, "It all comes out in the wash," time will tell and castoriadis maybe will speak up.

God Bless, goodnight everyone and stay safe and strong  :)

Jane I was asleep and yes my handle was in there. I'm trying to be nice here. I'm not even sure why you got booted out really. If you want to convict me for having my handle in a chat room... go ahead. I was only trying to give you some kind words.

Geez, Robb

It's ok. I'm not feeling "on blast". maybe BB needs to rethink opening theirs or putting it above "the help desk"?

No we cannot put security concerns that people create above the ones we have to deal with already. Every. Single. Time an external chatroom opens, there is an incident like this, though newbies like Jane may not be aware of the previous incidents. That's why it's important to follow the forum rules. Trust me when I say we only have your good at heart.

I'm glad you've decided to stay, Jane, and your past is immaterial.

Hi Jane, BB is a good safe place to be. We have great members here and each of us have our own pain but we try to support each other. Welcome to BB!

Frannie

Thank you, not sure what a newby is but ive been here almost 6 months lol :P

I haven't been around the forum much lately Jane so your new to me.  ;)

Frannie

Edit: Title of thread changed as per members request

[53...]

im good been good for the last 2 days the first 2 were kinda sucky but i recognize what my sxs are and they are manageable. :)

im just praying that God blesses me with a smooth ride, we all need it, but i really really need it to happen.

Keep me in ur prayers  :smitten:

I've stated on many occasions why going to an outside chat room is a bad idea. I know you see this now Jane. I am posting for the benefit of those who may not understand the risks.

As an administrator of one of these chat rooms I feel the need to take the other side of this argument.  The reality is that people need real time support.  Some are lucky enough to have family members in their homes to comfort and ground them.  Other people are not so fortunate.  They, like me, need to be reassured by others when they are literally on the breaking point and about to make a decision that could potentially be a lot worse for them.  There are limitations to the level of support you can receive from support boards.  Sometimes the answers you desperately need don't come fast enough or are ignored.  I can say with complete confidence that the room I am apart of has helped many in their quest to get through benzo withdrawal.  I can also say without hesitation that I would not have made it through this process without it and those in it who supported me. There are many others who will tell you the same thing.  Can there be problems once in a while?  Sure.  But the same was true of the chat room here.  The reality of the room I am apart of is that it has been instrumental in healing to many people. 

When you go to an off site chat room, you need to give your email address to whoever it is that's created that chat room. Who created that chat room? Do you know them? Do you know their true intentions? Nope, probably not. You don't really know with whom you are chatting.

This is true.  However, we recommend creating an email account for your benzo experience and not use your main account.  We have had zero security issues to date and because of our system of rules we don't ever expect to.  The reality is that nobody knows who the other person on the other side of the internet connection is with any application.  The same is true of this site but yet look at all the amazing support people receive. 

So, now you've give your email address to God knows who and potentially other information while innocently chatting.

The same could be said about any social situation in life. 

We have a troll (maybe several) who will do anything to get this sort of personal information from our members. With this sort of information he can find out quite a lot about you. He has stalked people. He has made contact with them outside the net. He has harassed members and family members of BB members.

This coward has received way too much attention.  There are too many of us who feel we shouldn't yield anything we enjoy to him or any one else that wishes to harass people who are going through one of the most difficult periods of their lives.  And like here,  we too have our methods of preventing such security breaches. 

Is it really worth risking this for chat?

Yes.  It really is an invaluable resource when you are going through the most difficult withdrawal known to man.

We are aware of a PM that's been circulating regarding a private chat room and the solicitation of email addresses in order to gain access to this chat room. Solicitation of personal information for outside contact is expressly against the

If any of this has happened from the chat room I am apart of then I apologize to everyone involved.  We have established a process to allow new members to join and this is not it.  It was designed to allow access to only those who needed such support to avoid exactly what has happened.  Because of my improving condition, I had taken a long break from the room when this happened.  However, I will take full responsibility for this  and whatever actions you feel are necessary to my account here at BB I will accept without issue or objection. 

The chat room I am apart of was set up after the chat room here was scheduled for upgrade.  Its purpose was to be a temporary place of support for the majority of members who used the chat here.  When we realized that it may take longer then we expected for chat to return here, we contemplated closing it and moving on.  However, the majority of our members strongly objected to this and so we left it open with our established rules.  Those of us who administer this chat room are very proud of how it has served so many without any major issue to date.  It was never intended as a replacement for this site and never will be.  However, we request that it not be regarded in such a light here as the majority of the accusations are unfounded. We also ask that if you contact us, the admins of our chat, that you treat us with a level of respect consistent with those involved in volunteer based support. 

FUM of this forum.

You are not permitted to post your contact details to the BenzoBuddies forum. Nor should you solicit the contact details of other members. Links to Facebook or any other social media which may potentially identify a member will not be allowed.

You're all adults and what you do outside of BB is your responsibility. Those who have opened this chat room are being irresponsible, or worse.

It is my strong suggestion that you not give your email address out to anyone who is circulating this PM. It is my strong suggestion that you not attend this chat room.

It is very important that we point out to our members the risks they are taking when they become part of an off site chat room. Frankly, if that's the route they choose to take, that's their prerogative. However, many times when I explain to members about past problems with off site chat rooms, these members opt out and do not take the risk, as you have seen in this thread.

I would ask that all our members please review the Personal Messaging Guidelines.

Our members are going to do what they want to do, however abusing our PM system to do it, is not something that can be over looked.

We work so very hard to help people here. The idea that you are using our PM system, ignoring our guidelines is something I can't get on board with.

Chris, in your chat room I assume you have rules and guidelines? So do we...and for very good reason.

It is very important that we point out to our members the risks they are taking when they become part of an off site chat room. Frankly, if that's the route they choose to take, that's their prerogative. However, many times when I explain to members about past problems with off site chat rooms, these members opt out and do not take the risk, as you have seen in this thread.

We completely understand and support these concerns.  Member security is our number one priority as well and has not once been compromised in 6 months.  I can assure you that all our members are aware of the importance of security. 

I would ask that all our members please review the Personal Messaging Guidelines.

Our members are going to do what they want to do, however abusing our PM system to do it, is not something that can be over looked.

Completely agree.  This is currently being looked into.  Once again,  I apologize to everyone involved.  While I can confidently say those who were contacted were never at any security risk, it was not appropriate and against our rules.  We are very strict about who we let in for security reasons and so we have had to scramble on our end of it.   

We work so very hard to help people here. The idea that you are using our PM system, ignoring our guidelines is something I can't get on board with.

Chris, in your chat room I assume you have rules and guidelines? So do we...and for very good reason.

We do have rules and expect our members to follow them.  This incident happened during an extended break I took.  There was a lapse in moderation and we are resolving this now.  I think it's fair that we continue this in PMs.  I have received one from you and will respond tonight. 

We had to shut down the PM system in the past due to abuses. I'm stunned that this seems to have been forgotten and it's being abused again.

I have to say, this is very discouraging. Very discouraging.

I'd like to say one more thing.

I know you think you have all the answers but the truth is, Colin has been running this site for 7 years. You have to respect that. He's learned a thing or two. You have had the benefit of this forum and it's team while you were withdrawing. I'm surprised to see you virtually thumb your nose at all that now.

The thing is, Chris. You don't know, what you don't know.

Not only am I discouraged, I think I can speak for many members of the BB team.

Btw, we won't be dealing with this via PM. My mistake.

I'd like to say one more thing.

I know you think you have all the answers but the truth is, Colin has been running this site for 7 years. You have to respect that. He's learned a thing or two. You have had the benefit of this forum and it's team while you were withdrawing. I'm surprised to see you virtually thumb your nose at all that now.

If I had all the answers, I would not be on this forum or in any chat room.  I respect Colin and all of you who have assisted him over the years.  Having that chat room is not an open defiance towards any of what he has created.  It was simply created because it was needed.  The conversations that have taken place in there are not simply gossip and chit chat.  People have faced incredibly difficult circumstances and have received immediate support with them.  Some people are afraid to go to sleep unless they know there are others around and that they aren't alone.  It's hard for me to comprehend it now but there was a time when that was true for me as well.   

I'm saddened to see my defense of something that has been a lifesaver to so many people be regarded as thumbing my nose.  I think that you guys know how important chat is to people struggling as much as we are.  I think you know how bad some people can get and have no one to turn to.  Some things are best left to the forum and I completely respect that.  However, there are some things that people can't talk about openly for the whole world to see.  The people in the room have grown together and bonded. We are comfortable with each other.  We are all headed in the right direction as well with our recoveries. 

The thing is, Chris. You don't know, what you don't know.

Not only am I discouraged, I think I can speak for many members of the BB team.

Btw, we won't be dealing with this via PM. My mistake.

I know what I do know.  People need live support going through withdrawal.  After 6 months of seeing it happen live,  there is nothing that will convince me otherwise.  I'm disappointed that the team is discouraged with this.  However, people have stated over and over again how important chat is to them on this forum.  Some people were not able to wait half a year.  Imagine how many posts asking when it's returning there would be if that room wasn't available. 

You're not understanding the problem. You had no right to recruit members for your chat room with our PM system. If you want to have a chat room, have one but don't advertise it through our PM system. Frankly, I don't care if you have 12 chat rooms but to use our PM system to recruit members, when it is expressly against the rules of this forum, is wrong. Period. I know you know this.

I think you're missing the bigger picture here Chris. We've been working hard to keep the forum running. We are short staffed.  The odds of having a chat room here (or even the posts asking for a chat room), if there is no forum...is zero.

We're working on a way that everyone can have their say about this. You will be heard.

You're not understanding the problem. You had no right to recruit members for your chat room with our PM system. If you want to have a chat room, have one but don't advertise it through our PM system. Frankly, I don't care if you have 12 chat rooms but to use our PM system to recruit members, when it is expressly against the rules of this forum, is wrong. Period. I know you know this.

I think you're missing the bigger picture here Chris. We've been working hard to keep the forum running. We are short staffed.  The odds of having a chat room here (or even the posts asking for a chat room), if there is no forum...is zero.

We're working on a way that everyone can have their say about this. You will be heard.

Like I said earlier.  I'm sorry the PM system was used.  It's not as if our chat room is some magical holiday retreat.  It's a room for people who are ill.  A couple members got overzealous and invited people they knew or they felt needed it.  They have acknowledged their mistakes.  I myself have only invited one person through PM and that was only because they kept asking about chat every week. 

At least get this stuff off a thread labeled "strippers/prostitutes are humans too". You want this to be the thread of the month? Again...why not open up a chat room? Most of the ppl in this room in question just want BB chat back. It was supposed to be a makeshift chat. It's been "6"months. It is often the ppl who have no real support and who are clinging to a chat room who need help the most. This off site chat room has been a blessing but BB chat would be better for most. The biggest issues we have had with our room is that it has been taken to the BB boards.

Robb