Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anxiety? Remeron related?

Saw my psychiatrist. Going down to 15 mg from  30 mg. Also, stopping the zyprexa. I'm moving in the right direction I think.

Saw my psychiatrist. Going down to 15 mg from  30 mg. Also, stopping the zyprexa. I'm moving in the right direction I think.

:thumbsup:

Crossing my fingers that I won't have some sort of Remeron withdrawal. I only started it a little over 2 weeks ago though, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

Crossing my fingers that I won't have some sort of Remeron withdrawal. I only started it a little over 2 weeks ago though, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

I really think the main issue at this point is the c/t.  It is possible the higher dose of remeron could cause some nighmare type dreams from what I've read here and there so going down in dose will hopefully help with that.  I'm glad your doc agreed to stop the zyprexa.  It's not pleasant but you're gonna get through this CZ.

V

Thanks! I have to believe that the Remeron nightmares people have gone through are more the exception than the rule when cutting back dosage amounts. Hopefully, all will go well. I really am feeling pretty good right now, so maybe I'm heading in a good direction overall.

Just an update. I've now been on 15 mg Remeron for almost a week after cutting it down from 30 mg (I had been on 30 mg for 18 days). Anyway, I've noticed no ill effects thus far from moving down in dosage. I'd have to say that my experience has been pretty positive. Anxiety is way lower...no more anxiety/panic attacks (perhaps the 30 mg was revving me up?). I also stopped Zyprexa. Mini-taper from 5 mg taking 7 days, then 2.5, 1.25, .625,  one day each, then done.

I'm still not sure what my symptoms are caused by, but all of them have subsided. The tinnitus is less pronounced and more intermittent now. The headaches are virtually gone. The eye movement thing has subsided greatly (I can now read and watch t.v. with only minor issues!). As stated, the anxiety has lessened as well. The million dollar question...is this just b/c I am now further removed from Ativan? The last .5 mg I took of it was one month ago. Or, is my improvement due to (or at least helped by) being on Remeron? Any advice? If, in fact, this is an Ativan withdrawal/recovery type situation, it seems that I am just about healed up after one month?

I've been taking Remeron 7.5 mg for 6 months, but last week my doctor told me that the severe edema I was having was a result of the remeron and directed me to w/d immediately as it was affecting my joints. (I get ALL the weird, rare s/x from just about any drug)  it was not my intention to go off Remeron until I had finished my taper and for a good period of time going forward until I felt stable being benzo free.

I have now been off for a week.  My anxiety has heightend and my sleep has suffered and so i've replaced the remeron with OTC antihistimines for sleep (Unisom) and and take a small dose of Hydroxizine (a prescription antihistimine for itching but has anti anxiety properties) which tempers the anxiety.  This seems to be working for me.  Additionally, since remeron suppresses dopamine some (don't ask me the science), I'm finding a little motivation returning, some of the fog is lifting, my hunger has decreased, I'm not groggy during the day and for me best of all was that within a couple days I stopped walking like a 90 year old woman because the swelling in my joints had dissipated.

Don't get me wrong, Remeron certainly served me well in many ways and got me through some rough times and like i said I planned to stay on for a good while if I could have.  And I'm only off a week, but what i've concluded is simply that being on Remeron has it's good points and bad points.  Being off Remeron also has it's good points and bad points.  And while it's clearly challenging for some to get off of, it isn't as challenging for all and for me it's worlds apart from benzo w/d

I just wanted to offer another experience of someone who came off Remeron and survived ok.  It's still early, but as was mentioned above, it's looking promising :)

WWWI

Good to know. Thanks for the info! I hope it continues to go well for you. I have never had an anxiety attack or any anxiety at all really until I started taking Ativan, and then it was ramped up either when I started Remeron or quit Ativan. I would love to be off all drugs, and get my old brain back. It is so tough for me, though, because I'm not sure if I really was having Ativan issues, and if so, how severe they are.

Keep in mind, as long as you are feeling better and improving; does it really matter it is because of Remeron or Atvian? I think your body will guide you through.

Keep in mind, as long as you are feeling better and improving; does it really matter it is because of Remeron or Atvian? I think your body will guide you through.

Great point! In fact, I think a lot of my issues stem from over-thinking every little detail about my body and mind. The only point I was trying to make is whether I should continue on with the Remeron if it is, in fact, helping with things. If, however, it is the cause of some anxiety, then I need to get off of it.  I would like to return to work in two weeks though, and if I do stop Remeron in the meantime, I hope I don't have bigger issues to deal with. No way to know really though. I just have to make a decision one way or another.

One other variable is that I stopped the Zyprexa after taking it for one week. I might have a mini-withdrawal from that as well. Stupid doctors and their stupid drugs!!

I took remeron sporadically for a few months in 2010. I took a very small amount & didn't notice anxiety. I took 7.5 or 15mgs. My doctor had said people who take more will feel hyped up & stimulating instead of tired. I'm not sure if this helps but best of luck to you. :)

This may have already been stated above, but remeron has a paradoxical quality to it. The higher the dose (30-45 mg - guesstimate) the norepenphrine kicks in and it's more stimulating and logic would suggest may increase anxiety.  At the lower doses, it impacts seratonin predominantly and histamine receptors and is therefore more sedating and less anxiety producing and infact because it blocks histamines, might reduce anxiety.

Just saw my psychiatrist last night. He has agreed with my plan to try coming off Remeron. I took 30 mg for 16 days. I will take 15 mg for 10 days (still have a couple days to go). He told me I could just stop right now, but I don't want to take a chance at that, so I am going to go 7.5 mg for one week. Then, either jump off there, or go 7.5 every other day for an additional week.

Those of you who have been commenting on this thread...does this sound like a good taper plan. Bear in mind, I haven't been on the stuff very long. Thanks for any input.

Sounds reasonable if you're doc thinks so, although just stopping the remeron abruptly while still in benzo withdrawal doesn't seem right, but your doc probably doesn't believe that you're still in benzo withdrawal anyway :idiot:.  Well, good thing that he's willing to let you taper the remeron (for whatever reason) :thumbsup:.  I think that's a wise move if you feel you're ready to do so.  You can always go back to 7.5 if you find that going to zero brings back some sleep issues.

V

This may have already been stated above, but remeron has a paradoxical quality to it. The higher the dose (30-45 mg - guesstimate) the norepenphrine kicks in and it's more stimulating and logic would suggest may increase anxiety.  At the lower doses, it impacts seratonin predominantly and histamine receptors and is therefore more sedating and less anxiety producing and infact because it blocks histamines, might reduce anxiety.

Interesting.  Didn't know that.

V

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [mo...]
    • [Si...]
    • [te...]
    • [El...]
    • [or...]
    • [Li...]
    • [Li...]
    • [Tr...]
    • [Ta...]