Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day

[Da...]

Yup, there's a reason Ashton recommends not smoking.

Very very hard to quit while in tolerance, tapering and even harder when off and in withdrawal.

A smoker should quit long before tapering off benzo's, IMHO.

The craving did calm down but it took a very very long time.

Not even the most disgusting roll your own tobacco would stop me from puffing up a storm. I tried patches and nicotine gum too.

BAD BAD, filthy, stinking, evil habit I wish I would have never started. Of all the stupid things I've done, this habit is the absolute worst.

Good luck!

Interesting avatar. I didn't think I was going to get yelled at.  :o

My doc told me to quit the benzos then smoking. 

"I hardly dare to mention smoking in view of present day attitudes to this unfortunate addiction, but for those who are smokers it is probably asking too much to attempt to stop smoking and withdraw benzodiazepines at the same time. Many people have found that giving up smoking is easier when they are off benzodiazepines, when the desire for nicotine may even wane somewhat. In general, excessive worrying over your undesirable habits (or your diet) can add to the stress of withdrawal. It is better to relax a bit and be gentle with yourself."

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm#25a

Even though Ashton suggests to quit smoking after benzo withdrawal, you still have your free will. Which would be better for you?

We only want to give you some advice to lessen the severity of your withdrawal  :)

I can only speak from my own experience, which is, I

Originally started tapering after quitting smoking for about 6 months maybe more. Some unknown reason I picked up smoking again during my c/o and I will say it didn't negatively effect me. Now I'm trying to quit again, my last cigarette was 3/10 midnight. Since I've quit smoking I've had a little daytime anxiety not much though. I'm down to 2.5mg of Valium and plan to hold another week, then cut to 2.0

I do have one complaint which is my mouth gets numerous sores making it difficult to eat, drink, or swallow salavia, which i only get when I quit smoking or in the beginning of my taper. So it's stress induced!

Good luck in your journey.

the first time I did a c/t off an obscene amount of ativan, I was so screwed up in every way, I quit all alcohol and a pack a day habit.  Everything smelled and tasted so weird that quitting was easy.  I am glad to have been able to stop the cigs.  I would do what ever feels best for you right now. 

Hugs, Skyy

I smoke one - two packs a day every day or two. Luckily, you are not in NY 'cause here they are expensive, really, oh not to mention the tax!

I think I may wait to stop that habit. I have been smoking since '92.. I was only 12 years old :( I wish I never started, but no regrets I guess.

What kind do you smoke? Kool here and $9.98 a pack. Too expensive, but...

As ShaneB posted about Ashton saying that about smoking.. she is right, it does cause Insomnia if I don't light up.

Billy.

I am an ex smoker. I coincidentally had my last cigarette (after smoking for 10 years) on July 4 of last year. So, as America celebrates its independence, I celebrate mine from cigarettes. I often wonder what it would have been like if I had stopped the V before smoking. It doesnt matter. It wasnt as hard as I thought now looking back on it. Maybe because getting off valium has been the hardest thing I have ever done. That was my 3rd try and I never looked back. After I quit I told myself that, if I could quit smoking, I could do anything. It was hard, but it is nothing like benzo w/d. This makes quitting smoking look like a cake walk. I know that all of you who do smoke and decide to quit, when the time is right, will all be able to kick it fairly clean.