Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

favorite childhood memories

[...]

Going to the Animal Shelter, and picking out a dog.  I Picked a Dalmation, and named her Mitzi.  I pretended she was Lassie, taught her do do lots of tricks.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Fl...]

• [Mi...]

• [Wh...]

Top Posters In This Topic

:2funny: you rascal, Dave!  PJ I like your Dalmatian story. I wish everyone got their dogs at the shelter.  :thumbsup:

The first day I got to ride my horse to school.  I couldn't sleep all the night before. I was in a state of such eager anticipation.  At recess, we got to get the horses out of the barn and have a bale jumping contest. 

:2funny: you rascal, Dave!  PJ I like your Dalmatian story. I wish everyone got their dogs at the shelter.  :thumbsup:

The first day I got to ride my horse to school.  I couldn't sleep all the night before. I was in a state of such eager anticipation.  At recess, we got to get the horses out of the barn and have a bale jumping contest.

Mornin' flip.  :)  I have a real fondness, and appreciation for horses.  They are so amazing. I am curious as to what breed your horse was, and what you named it.

Babe was the first horse, PJ.  She was a cutting horse, part quarter and part arabian. She so wasn't a kid horse but they couldn't keep me off her and eventually, like n my memory  ;) got to ride her out in the open to school.  It was glorious!!! :smitten:

Her colt was Prince.  I witnesses his birth and his first steps and we had a 20 + year love affair.

My horse, Chica, was from the Chyenne Indian reservation and was part of the government remount program from the Indian wars. They were Morgans, turned loose on the reservation lands for many generations.  So she was part of a "wild horse" herd. A group of them had crossed the river that separated our alfalfa field from the reservation.  My sister and I, on Prince and Babe, ran them into the corral.  Chica just kept going, clearing a 6 ft bucking pen fence - no kidding.

After much cajoling, my Dad bought her for me and I was the first one on her back - for a good 2 seconds! Lol.  It took lots and lots of time and patience, but she was an amazing friend to me.

Aw, sorry with the length - horses are about my favorite subject.  I really miss them. :'(

I

Babe was the first horse, PJ.  She was a cutting horse, part quarter and part arabian. She so wasn't a kid horse but they couldn't keep me off her and eventually, like n my memory  ;) got to ride her out in the open to school.  It was glorious!!! :smitten:

Her colt was Prince.  I witnesses his birth and his first steps and we had a 20 + year love affair.

My horse, Chica, was from the Chyenne Indian reservation and was part of the government remount program from the Indian wars. They were Morgans, turned loose on the reservation lands for many generations.  So she was part of a "wild horse" herd. A group of them had crossed the river that separated our alfalfa field from the reservation.  My sister and I, on Prince and Babe, ran them into the corral.  Chica just kept going, clearing a 6 ft bucking pen fence - no kidding.

After much cajoling, my Dad bought her for me and I was the first one on her back - for a good 2 seconds! Lol.  It took lots and lots of time and patience, but she was an amazing friend to me.

Aw, sorry with the length - horses are about my favorite subject.  I really miss them. :'(

I can see that you really do love horses  :)  Thank you so much, for that wonderful heartfelt, and inspiring story. 

Do you get the RFD channel? It's programming deals with rural life.  There are many programs centered around ranching, farming, and the raising, and training of horses.

I quite enjoyed Latin at school.

Especially going to sleep reciting my Latin verbs. amo amas amat :laugh:

amo amas amat..it's all about the love, dave :laugh:

Oh Fliprain I loved your talk of horses ... I always loved them so and had great fantasies of a horse ranch as a child where I had a book and gave names and descriptions to hundreds of them.  I would love to hug one right now.  It sucked being a city girl.

Great post idea pj! :)

A favorite memory of mine is living in Lompoc in Santa Barbara Co, CA. We went for walks to the La Purisima Mission as a family. The mission was 1 or 2 miles from our house. I really enjoyed this time soaking in all the nature!

Also, our family visits to Solvang, a local Danish town whenever company came by. I use to think that Santa Claus lived there! :)

Again, great post idea. :thumbsup:

Great post idea pj! :)

A favorite memory of mine is living in Lompoc in Santa Barbara Co, CA. We went for walks to the La Purisima Mission as a family. The mission was 1 or 2 miles from our house. I really enjoyed this time soaking in all the nature!

Also, our family visits to Solvang, a local Danish town whenever company came by. I use to think that Santa Claus lived there! :)

Again, great post idea. :thumbsup:

Thank you pangelingua,

And thanks for sharing your happy memories.  Even on the darkest of days, to look back and recall pleasant times from the past, can lift our spirits, and bring out the sunshine.  Take care now  :)   

My dad gave me a love for the outdoors. Taking me on long treks through the woods at our summer home. One summer we spent an afternoon digging up sassafras roots and making tea.

Your welcome pj!

I started a post similar to this one about favorite collectable items. It's on page 2 of this board probably a page back if you'd like to reply there.

Joaskren, I too was given a love of nature by my dad. We used to take nature walks regularly. Santa Barbara Co is one of the few in SoCal that is still not overgrown. To this day, if I had to live anywhere in that area, I would choose Lompoc.

My current area has even nicer views (PacNW) and I am so glad we moved here. The trees and forests are beautiful! I could get lost in woods like these and not care (at least until I got hungry!).

Another favorite memory of mine was when we would visit Grandparents in Orange Co from Lompoc. I loved the drive there and the time we would spend. It was always during the Holidays. To this day, when I watch a Charlie Brown Christmas or Thanksgiving cartoon with my kids, it brings back those visits!

As promise, here is another great memory growing up...

It's the day I opened the button fly Levis I got for Christmas way back as a junior in high school. I wrote about this in 2 different posts.

They are now a collector's item and I still have them!

Finding this out has been like therapy to me because it gives me something else to feel really good about my past! :smitten:

Oh I have many. I had a pretty good childhood. Thank you god who I don't believe in for that. Thanks for all the good memories I've ever had. I'm certain in the end it's all that matters.

As promise, here is another great memory growing up...

It's the day I opened the button fly Levis I got for Christmas way back as a junior in high school. I wrote about this in 2 different posts.

They are now a collector's item and I still have them!

Finding this out has been like therapy to me because it gives me something else to feel really good about my past! :smitten:

What would we do without our Levis?  My wardrobe is 90% Levis :laugh:

Oh I have many. I had a pretty good childhood. Thank you god who I don't believe in for that. Thanks for all the good memories I've ever had. I'm certain in the end it's all that matters.

HI goto  :)

Wow PJ ... where'd you get the dough?

Good question Whoopsie,

Down the road from where I was staying, lived a man, and his wife who sold fresh eggs around the area.  I would help the lady gather the eggs whenever I could, and she would give me 50 cents an hour. 

I don't think she really needed the help.  I just think she felt sorry for me, because I was living in a foster home. I gathered enough eggs to earn $7.50, enough to buy a very used bicycle.

I often think of that kind lady, and that bicycle.

What we remember from childhood we remember forever - permanent ghosts, stamped, inked, imprinted, eternally seen.....Cynthia Ozic

Sounds like she was one of those real life earth angels that was put in your path.  May your life always be full of them.  Thanks for sharing that touching and heart-warming story.  I sure like this thread.  :)

Joaskren, I too was given a love of nature by my dad. We used to take nature walks regularly. Santa Barbara Co is one of the few in SoCal that is still not overgrown. To this day, if I had to live anywhere in that area, I would choose Lompoc.

My current area has even nicer views (PacNW) and I am so glad we moved here. The trees and forests are beautiful! I could get lost in woods like these and not care (at least until I got hungry!).

Another favorite memory of mine was when we would visit Grandparents in Orange Co from Lompoc. I loved the drive there and the time we would spend. It was always during the Holidays. To this day, when I watch a Charlie Brown Christmas or Thanksgiving cartoon with my kids, it brings back those visits!

We lived in San Diego and one christmas I got my first teddy bear. I was so excited and loved that bear. I still have him, poor guy is missing and eye and falling apart. He sits on my dresser and reminds of a really great christmas.

I love this thread. Gives me the warm fuzzies. Gives me a chance to look back on my warm memories. How great is that! Especialy in a time when I am so down and can only look on the negative in my life right now and feel sorry for myself.

Haven't thought of this in years. My folks owned and raced midget,sprint and Indy cars. Dad would sit me in the car when it was backed out of the garage and put on the trailer and I felt so important and thrilled to be in that car.