Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone have a favorite collectable item?

[pa...]

That's great jrvmc!

My great aunt (who's now passed away), had an antique doll collection that she had displayed in her living room.

My wife has a stuffed animal bear that was made in Germany. A former student gave it to her. She named him 'Bernhard".

I wonder if your wife's bear is a Steiff, which are/were made in Germany.  I also have a large antique doll collection.  I ended up inheriting tons of stuff because most of my family died prematurely and I was the only one left to inherit.  I know the dolls are German and from the mid 1800's.  I forgot about them until I saw your post. :)  I seem to have lost my brain in w/d. :idiot:

jrvmc, Are we going to be seeing you on Antiques Road Show anytime soon? :)

I'm so sorry for your losses.

WWWI

AND Hoarders :laugh:

That's great jrvmc!

My great aunt (who's now passed away), had an antique doll collection that she had displayed in her living room.

My wife has a stuffed animal bear that was made in Germany. A former student gave it to her. She named him 'Bernhard".

I wonder if your wife's bear is a Steiff, which are/were made in Germany.  I also have a large antique doll collection.  I ended up inheriting tons of stuff because most of my family died prematurely and I was the only one left to inherit.  I know the dolls are German and from the mid 1800's.  I forgot about them until I saw your post. :)  I seem to have lost my brain in w/d. :idiot:

jrvmc, Are we going to be seeing you on Antiques Road Show anytime soon? :)

I'm so sorry for your losses.

WWWI

AND Hoarders :laugh:

:laugh:  that's very funny!

Hi WWWI!

Your dragon quote made me laugh! :laugh:

My brother-in-law used to collect dragons too. We used to buy these for him as Christmas gifts. Mainly ceramic ones. Now, he has 2 kids so, I think he keeps the dragons chained and locked up so that his kids won't fight with them! Great item. :thumbsup:

Jrvmc: I'll ask my wife when she gets home about the bear... I know she's been really attached to it; as much as I am to my vintage made jeans.

It's unfortunate, but my great aunt had to sell so many of her dolls when she got cancer. :'( She had to pay medical expenses. I'm not sure if any are left in her immediate family.

I should note that I am also an avid genealogist, and I have collected lots of history and memorabilia especially on that side of my family. This too, is something I'll want to pass on and it would be nice if that makes up for some of what was lost.

My biggest and most loved collection is my books. Lots of topics from history, living history, poetry, gardening, classics, religion, firearms and so on. Very eclectic. My most loved is my fiction. I will go to great lengths to obtain first edition hard back in new condition as well as the soft back. So I have 2 sets of each book, stand alone and series. I have a system, putting small round stickers on the spine of series denoting the number where each one falls in the series or if they are stand alone and they all have to be shelved in order and by catagory. I keep three listings, books I own, books I've read, books I want to own or read and a count of each.  We are up around owning 1000 books so far. I just love to read, and love books. I have at least 30 to 40 from the library at any given time and have them stacked on all the tables in the living room in order they are to be read. How anal is that lol !

Hi joaskren! :)

Speaking of books... my wife has been an educator for many years. Her entire family grew up reading. If there's a movie out, my wife has usually read the book or is at least familiar with it. Often, she finds the book more fascinating then the movie.

That's great that you have such a nice book collection! :thumbsup:

We have our share as well. My wife's favorite genera is fiction. Mine is trivia/historical/travel pictorial. They know us well at the local library because we are frequent book checkers!

My wife will often check out 20-30 at a time!

I always read stories to my son at bedtime. I even try to match these with the seasons. Right now, it's Irish flavored stories in honor of St Patrick's month.

Again, great collection! Reading is good therapy! :thumbsup:

I am a "hoarder" collector.  My largest collection is Snowbabies, Elvis memorabilia, dolls, Norman Rockwell plates, Tea pots and tea services, books, depression glass (the dark green).  When I was young I collected jewelry and shoes because I worked at a department store  :laugh:  I love to do crafts so have all kinds of stuff.  There are also my sets of wine decanters and glasses.  Like I said, you name it, I have probably collected it over the years.  HOWEVER, I have places for everything and my house is clean    ;D

lol Popcornlady, I'm a hoarder also and collect some of the same things that you do (my home is clean also, NOT like the ones you see on t.v. all piled up lol).  Last summer, my friends and I decided to have a huge yard sale to help out a family that was in need and I donated all kinds of stuff, couldn't stand it when customers began appearing and buying MY stuff sooo I bought back just about EVERY item I donated LOL!  :D  A few customers did take off running from me, wonder why?  Must have been that crazed look in my eyes and handful of cash that scared them lol! My friends laughed so hard.

My most treasured doll is the one that my great-grandfather wittled out of wood for my grandmother back in 1920.  The legs and arms even move and she told me years ago that she played with it all the time when she was little.  So thankful she held onto it.

Hi DaveyP!

My son doesn't have any of the Star Wars figures, but he does have lots of Legos Star Wars.

I should have gotten him figurines instead because (unlike the Legos) they don't end up all over the floor and house when you use them!

It's amazing just how popular that sci-fi movie has stayed through the years... I can recall seeing the first episode at the walk in movie theater with my best friend and sister in 1977.

Flutter2yz3 and Popcornlady: I admire you both for the vast collectables you keep plus a clean house! :thumbsup: I recall that my father had huge collections and when you visited, you had to form a path to walk through the house! Rest his soul, he loved his collections, and I do miss seeing them.

Some day, it would be nice to have more items to display in mine. Right now, I have 2 children (ages 11 and 13), so I don't think were ready for that quite yet.

Great posts everyone! Cherish those items that help make life brighter. :)

Hi DaveyP!

My son doesn't have any of the Star Wars figures, but he does have lots of Legos Star Wars.

I should have gotten him figurines instead because (unlike the Legos) they don't end up all over the floor and house when you use them!

It's amazing just how popular that sci-fi movie has stayed through the years... I can recall seeing the first episode at the walk in movie theater with my best friend and sister in 1977.

Flutter2yz3 and Popcornlady: I admire you both for the vast collectables you keep plus a clean house! :thumbsup: I recall that my father had huge collections and when you visited, you had to form a path to walk through the house! Rest his soul, he loved his collections, and I do miss seeing them.

Some day, it would be nice to have more items to display in mine. Right now, I have 2 children (ages 11 and 13), so I don't think were ready for that quite yet.

Great posts everyone! Cherish those items that help make life brighter. :)

I guess I am a "dork". I even go to conventions and buy the SW Legos too! I put them together and put them on my shelf. Not much of a hoarder, I'm too neat for that. I'd like to meet a lady one day, so I keep my dorkiness in my basement for now, LOL.

• 1 year later...

Hi all collectable people :)

I just thought I'd revive this thread. Need some cheering up today after a long night's work.

I have two state quarter collections. One is full, the other one needs 2 more states: Missouri and Montana. I've only run across Montana once, and I added it right away.

I also have a wooden plate from Germany given to me years ago by my German grandmother who traveled back there some years ago. It was carved using wood from the Black Forest. The inscription reads "Schwarzvald". It has a German country home etched into the plate.

It is very lovely, and I display it on a bookshelf.

Any other members here on the forum with collectable item they'd like to share??

• 2 weeks later...
::) I have over 1,000 lps. (( most are pristine & never been played. Can't seem to part with them. ::) Love the cover art, the inside notes, lyrics, & pix. & before becoming bedfast/homebound, I had 21 bettas...all different colors. They each had their own little aquarium & were very friendly.

Hi Obsid :) Yes, koi counts! There is a Japanese garden in our city park that used to keep koi. Unfortunately, they had to remove these due to some vandalism.

Koi are very beautiful... I've heard that fish tanks and such are good for calming effects.

Teacher :) Wow! 1000 records and never played!! I have many that are still at my Mom's house other side of country. Some day, I hope to get these back. Many classic rock groups and yes the cover art is awesome!

The old Levi's 501 jeans I have, I also can't part with. They were a Christmas gift in 1983! They were made on old style shuttle looms that have selvedge seams. I keep them safe and sound on a shelf in my closet.

Great collectables! Hope to hear about more :thumbsup:

Pang,

We have all of Dad's Levi Button Fly Jeans. Don't think he ever wore a pair out & minimal if any holes or tears. Not sure how vintage they are. Wondering if they have the selvedge seams you spoke of! Would never sell them, as they were Dad's.

i used to collect vinyl but ever since this benzo withdrawal thing i'v had to sell many of them to survive and make things easier on my self. i wish i didn't have to but i i'v sold about half my collection which was i think about several hundred LP's. also had a nice tape collection but sold most of that as well. stuff was worth a fortune i sold one single record for 550 euros and many in the 200-500 euro range. but now there gone and i just have a bunch of not so rare records.

sux and i'v learned some lessons from this experience. i'm not a collector anymore and i'm not going to get back into it i'v got other plans for my future when i get better. although i'l probably buy some LP's here and there and still do once in a while now i'l never do it again obsessively like i did before

things r also cleaner and less clutter around cause of this experience and the experience of living in a super small apartment its led me also to learn how to throw things out.

Teacher

If you look at the outside seams of the pants, the selvedge edge has a white strip with a pinkish threading. Also, the seams don't go down the leg straight, they go down at a twist. The 501 was the last line of jeans made that way. You tube has videos that show the difference. Look for Levis selvedge.

Rubberduck :)

I also have/had a huge taper collection. Many tapes are out in my garage. Lots of good music but I think they are probably all warped :-[ Such a shame! I stopped having a cassette player for many years until I found one that had duel cassette/CD. I also have a stereo component with 5 CD continuous capability, but it hasn't worked for years.

I hear you about making life simpler. I've had to clean house over the years in order to make life simpler.

Rubberduck :)

I also have/had a huge taper collection. Many tapes are out in my garage. Lots of good music but I think they are probably all warped :-[ Such a shame! I stopped having a cassette player for many years until I found one that had duel cassette/CD. I also have a stereo component with 5 CD continuous capability, but it hasn't worked for years.

I hear you about making life simpler. I've had to clean house over the years in order to make life simpler.

well the tapes i had were worth quite a bit of money i know i sold more then 1 of them for 150 euros. now i still have some tapes and i still have a tape player but i didn't play this stuff more then once to record it into high quality 24 bit digital files cause the tapes as well as the vinyl r not worth so much if there not in super duper condition.

the thing is many of these tapes and vinyls were never released on CD and anyway i don't like CD's they sound like crap. but now i just have them on an eternal hard drive so i can listen to them anytime and still have some more to sell but am just waiting out a tough period before i put my list up again.

this music collection has saved my ass through tough financial situations induced by benzo withdrawal. i never ever planned on selling any of these things i thought i would die first but when it came down to it i had to make the decision and by doing just so i made my life a heck of a lot easier for a while.

Hi rubberduck

I'm a big music fan too and it got me through quite a bit of w/d. :thumbsup:

My father before he passed away had quite a record, tape, CD, and DVD collection. Many of his records were not available on other media.

I'm so glad to hear that you had something that helped you through. It sounds like you've reached a point where life is simpler and you've moved on.

Congratulations on being benzo free!

• 2 weeks later...

yea my life has become way simpler and a lot has changed its pretty crazy. benzo withdrawal isn't all that bad if i take into account how fast my life, attitude and perspective have changed.

i imagine by the time its over i will be completely different from the person i was when i started. now i just want that time to come cause this is just taking for ever.

theres a new record i want to buy and i hope to get the cash for it together and i'l just resell it after i record it to the computer and it goes up in value

I have a huge ink pen collection. I don't travel, so my friends, family and co-workers have always picked me up an ink pen on their travels. Some of the are REALLY cool. I have them from all over the world. Plus, I worked in healthcare for many years, and have some pretty cool ones from the different pharm companies. I think I should chuck those now!!  :laugh:

I have around 400 of them right now. Crazy, I know!!  :idiot:

Denise

Hi :)

SophiasNana: I have two kids, one 15 and the other 12 years old. Between them and my wife who loves to sketch, we have collected quite a few pens ourselves!

There's been some nice sets that they've gotten for Christmas over the years.

We have quite a few regular pens when we need to memo something. Sometimes, I have trouble telling which ones work and which ones don't! Rather frustrating!

Goto: one of the pairs of Levis I have that are original selvedge made have long ago stopped fitting me long ago! I was 17 when they were given to me as a present. I will be 47 next month! The pants have sentimental value for me and knowing they are a collector's item keeps me from giving them away even if they no longer fit!

Rubberduck: we were given a turntable form my in laws. It's a Fischer brand and it has one replacement needle. Most of my classic rock albums are back at my Mom's house on the other side of the USA. The one's we have in ours are mostly my wife's musical albums that don't quite interest me except on special occasions like Holidays