Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone have a favorite collectable item?

[pa...]

I posted more about this in the 'inspirational' blogs but I also thought it would make an interesting topic here.

I'll start with mine.

Currently, I have 2 pairs of vintage Levi's. One of them was given to me as a Christmas gift in December 1983 when I was a junior in high school. They are still in great shape with only some minor fraying. They have always been my favorite pair. They have a really nice natural stone-washed fade to them.

It turns out that they were some of the last button-fly jeans to be made on a shuttle loom. These old-fashioned looms made denim cloth narrow and in order to not waste material, the selvedge lines were used for the outer seam. It also turns out that the quality of the denim made by these old fashioned looms was better than the modern looms that they use today to make denim.

It's so nice to own a piece of history! There is a button on the inside pocket that identifies the city they were made in. Mine is 524 and when I looked that up on the internet, that number code corresponds to San Antonio, Texas.

Best jeans I've ever owned!

Hope to hear more postings about other member's favorite collectables!

Hey pang, I've run into a few pair of those old Levi's too. They can be worth a lot of money! I found a pair at a garage sale once and ended up selling and got $450.00  :yippee:  they may have been worth more but I was happy to get that since I only paid .50 cents!

I remember a story I read about some guys that found a pair in an old mining shaft that were from the 1920's, they were in great condition because they'd been in the shaft for all those decades. I believe the story ended that Levi Strauss had bought them for several thousand dollars and put them on display.

I love old nautical things.. I have a couple old port holes from an old ship, they're solid brass and weigh a ton! I also have helms, a large one and a smaller one. I'll never get tired of old nautical items, as a kid I collected a lot of shells too.

Edit typo

I collect Crystal Pieces and Chandeliers. Also Antiques and I love Lamps. I have five Crystal Chandeliers and numerous Antiques. It's expensive but well worth it.

Billy ~

Wow, 4 reply's and 1 from an Administrator! :)

Thank you Starbird for the link to the article. I think if I had found the jacket, I would have kept it as a family heirloom!

Interesting that you found vintage Levi's at a garage sale. Did you say $450!!! I've heard some say that the jeans can be found that way. It seems that the jeans have to be at least 30 years old for them to be considered vintage made. It was a miracle that as a 17 year old looking for my size jeans that I just happened to pick the ones made the old way. In December 1983, they would have been going through their stock and the vintage made jeans disapearing. Plus, there were no signs advertising to "get them while their hot, some day they'll be worth a lot of money!"

I plan to keep mine and hand them down. I did read in that article on the jean jacket, however, that old material can over time disintegrate?!

Thanks also to BillyF, and BenzoBattle. My wife and I have a decorative lamp that her parents gave us. It was made in Spain. I believe it is pewter or a silver alloy? It is tarnished and needs cleaning. Right now, we have it stored above the refrige where the Kids can't get to it. Someday, we plan to display it properly. I agree that a good antique is well worth having when you can afford it. There is something really special about things made the old fashioned way!

BenzoBattle: I don't collect firearms but my Mom's husband does. He has some antique guns that he showed to me one time and they are very interesting.

Also to Starbird: your mention of nautical items makes me think of my brother in law. He was in the navy as a Lieutenant a long time ago. We used to buy him navy and nautical type presents every Christmas. He gave to me a really nice navy coat with nice brass buttons. It is so nice a coat that every Christmas eve, I wear it when we attend church. I get lots of nice comments!

One more thing: Does anyone know the name of the program where someone goes into old sheds and finds items and gets them appraised? This was the way I found out that my jeans were a collector's item. Someone who I worked with had watched that show and told me about it.

Thanks again for sharing all!

I collect rocks. I don't want a lot of rocks, but back in my traveling days, I'd pick up a rock that caught my eye on a beach, in the desert, by a lake. Sometimes I move them outside. They are outside right now, in my little entryway "garden".

It's January in Oklahoma, but warmish. Yesterday I sat in the little garden and picked up several of the rocks and remembered who I was and what I was feeling at the time I collected that rock. Every one of them is from benzo free times. It makes me a). sad that I haven't been alive enough to go anywhere to collect another rock memory and b). hopeful - it grounds me somehow. I can re-experience the joy and ease I had around those times.

This has turned into a sort of open eyed imeditation for me in the sun. I wanted to write about it but wasn't sure where to put it. This thread is timely. Thank you! :)

Flip

Hi arafurapearl!

North American Indian jewelry is very lovely. I remember seeing much of this when we went to New Mexico some years ago. Santa Fe and Albuquerque have lots of gift shops with local art and collectables. Thanks for sharing. :)

Hi Fliprain!

So glad that this post helped you! I can relate so well to what you say about the rock collection giving you joy and ease. I posted about my vintage jeans in the 'inspirational' section about this kind of feeling. My post there is called 'a nice story with a happy ending'. In that post, I relate more about how these jeans that I've had for so many years have been like an old friend to me. Knowing now that they are a collector's item plus the facts about how old vintage denim was made so nicely help me to have some nice memories to hang onto about my past.

I think when one is seeking a better place, they will find it! The mere fact that you are longing for it will help it to come along! By the way, I don't do much traveling now either. There was a time when my wife and family and I traveled regularly. I used to take pictures of all the adventures we had and they would go into the family album. I also have these to refer back to when I want to remember a different reality. Best wishes to you!

As an update: I found out that the program where these old Levis were found is called 'Storage Wars.' I googled it and read through the transcripts of what the two men were refering to. They were talking about the 'red line' in the seam that turns pink over many washes, etc. It's amazing, but so many years ago (back in the 1980's the only jeans I wore were Levis button fly), but I actually noticed this difference back then. The outer seam on the old kind formed a different pattern with a slight twist, whereas the newer made ones have a similar looking seam that runs straight down the leg. the biggest difference is when you turn them inside out. This used to be the way I washed my jeans and that's how come I noticed it.

I even called the Levis company back in 1990 or 1991 and asked them why this was different and the company spokesperson could only tell me that she had no info on it... I've since read on the internet so much about the change in looms that took place on the button fly jeans around 1982/83. The newer looms, it seems, don't produce as nice a denim because less cotton is used and the denim weaves are larger so you get less of a thread count.

I did find some new 'Levis selvedge' online and ordered them with a 30% discount. I paid $80 which is considered cheap since these are a high end item, sort of like buying real wood furniture over faux wood. The jeans at first were really stiff almost like a suite of armor! I've washed them twice now and I can see some really nice fade patterns starting and a curious 'crinckle' to the denim which will smooth out in time. Definitely worth it if you like vintage made items. Just be prepared to pay more!

Again, so glad for all those weighing in and sharing! Personal items that you've saved are one good way to feel good about your past! 

i collect bugs dragonflys butterflys ladybugs beetles and any other kind that creeps and crawls or flys an southwestern indian stuff like wolf dream catchers and pottery  ::)

We collect firearms, main interest is black powder cap lock and flynt lock. I inherited a large collection from my dad. We don't shoot many of the ones he gave us, they are antique, some never been shot.

I collect books, first edition hard covers are my hearts desire, but pb is also good. My Anne Rice first signed editions are my treasures, no one is allowed to even touch them. Love sci-fi, urban mythology/fantasy, paranormal mystery. Laural K. Hamilton Charlain Harris and Patricia Briggs among my favorites. I keep a list of every book I own and those I have read.

Books of all kinds are in our library, last count was around 3000. Can't have too many books!

Josephine

Firearms... LOL.. Not that I find it funny but I have family in the south that collects firearms. My father, a back wood Minnesotan has collected firearms for years. I know he had a huge gun cabinet (I guess you'd call them - I don't feel like googling it up).. he would have all kinds of rifles and mostly what I call "Hunting guns" I do not know guns that well; I am in NY. We don't see many guns in my area believe it or not.

He'd get out the guns and polish them. He was actually careless with them.. shooting a hole in the ceiling once. I know he had many and different types of guns.. sorted out in the cabinet. I, myself have nothing against a pistol. I do not like hunting guns (Rifles) ??? used for hunting. You have to watch me on wording.. fact is I know more than I write.. and I know more than what is thought.

Anyway......... I have always liked knives and daggers. I think guns are okay.. however - I don't own any. My roommate does, now, he loves guns.

The only gun I recall having.. was left to me by my grandfather.. it was a nickel gun (Something like this) ??? I don't get into murder mysteries ;)

I sold this gun for $45.00 to my father. I was 18 years old and he desperately wanted this gun for some reason.. AND I desperately wanted $45.00 as an 18 year old for a pair of pants  ::)  Was I ripped off?

I will keep my antiques :)

Billy.

Hi all!

Lots of antique gun collectors weighing in. I don't own any firearms but I do have an appreciation for items vintage made. As I posted earlier, my mom's husband has some antique guns. I remember him showing these to me once. From what I've read in history books, the further one goes back in time, the harder firearms were to use and fire. In the 16th and early 17th century, they used a huge bar of some time just to prop the riffle in place and keep it steady so that it could be shot. Not a convenient way to fight... This was one reason the Three Musketeers used swords instead of guns when they were fighting. Just an interesting piece of history I thought I'd throw in.

So nice to have things like that handed down and a big thank you to BillyF, joaskrin, kate7 for sharing.

Also, a big hi to cupcake, a member who's been here just about as long as I have! I think were both coming up on 2 years post taper? My anniversary date will be Feb 19!

Speaking of Elvis and collections, I am currently working on putting together a 60's collection of music. As soon as I can get an mp3 or other storage devise, I'm going to put all the music there. Not only that but I also have a Billboard Book of Top 10 Hits that I'm using as a guide for putting the songs in order chronologically. Some might think that obsessive but it sure helps keep me busy!

There are probably 5 or 6 Elvis songs that I'm going to include when it's finished.

Have a great weekend all and hang on to those nice items that you treasure so much! :smitten:

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting thread, pangelinqua. 

I collect antique medicine bottles.  What is most interesting about the bottles, aside from the colors, is what is printed on the bottles. 

Here is an example of what is printed on the label of a 'Hornets Nest Liniment' bottle.  Treats Colic, Headache, Toothache, Neuralgia, Rheumatism, Sore Throat, Croup, Asthma, Palpitation of the Heart, Bruises, Sprains, Sores, Burns, Cuts, Stings of Insects, Corns, frostbite, Dyspepsia

What the ingredients were, I wouldn't want to know.  :laugh: 

That's great pj! :)

Your reply made me laugh!

Sounds like the 'Hornets Nest Liniment' would just about make me right since I probably have some combo of these! :laugh:

It amazes me what was printed on some of those bottles... Although I didn't see any cure for asteroid approach sickness... They marketed that about 100 years ago before an early twentieth century approach of Halley's Comet.

Again, great reply!

I've got more ideas on great childhood memories to post tomorrow.

Blog with you then! :thumbsup:

That's great jrvmc!

My great aunt (who's now passed away), had an antique doll collection that she had displayed in her living room.

My wife has a stuffed animal bear that was made in Germany. A former student gave it to her. She named him 'Bernhard".

I collect purple dragons usually glass or clay. Underneath my collection is the following quote, which I also live by lol

“Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.” wolfdyke

I collect antique medicine bottles.  What is most interesting about the bottles, aside from the colors, is what is printed on the bottles. 

Here is an example of what is printed on the label of a 'Hornets Nest Liniment' bottle.  Treats Colic, Headache, Toothache, Neuralgia, Rheumatism, Sore Throat, Croup, Asthma, Palpitation of the Heart, Bruises, Sprains, Sores, Burns, Cuts, Stings of Insects, Corns, frostbite, Dyspepsia

PJ,

Where do you get those medicine bottles?

That sounds neat. I bet you a 100 years from now, people will not pay no mind to our old plastic bottles  ::) I know if I'm still living, I will not.

PJ,

That sounds neat. I bet you a 100 years from now, people will not pay no mind to our old plastic bottles  ::) I know if I'm still living, I will not.

My guess is that those medications may have been just as effective as today's versions in many cases lol

PJ,

Hi there Billy,

Ebay has a lot of them up for bid.  If you can get permission, old homsteads, and farms can often yield some interesting items.  People used to dump all their trash not too far from their house or their  barn.  But, it may take a lot of digging.  :) 

It's facinating reading what is said on those bottles.  I have one that says it contains 66 % alchhol, and 2 % chloroform.  A couple swigs of that stuff, and one would be out like a light.  :o

PJ,

Hi there Billy,

Ebay has a lot of them up for bid.  If you can get permission, old homsteads, and farms can often yield some interesting items.  People used to dump all their trash not too far from their house or their  barn.  But, it may take a lot of digging.  :) 

It's facinating reading what is said on those bottles.  I have one that says it contains 66 % alchhol, and 2 % chloroform.  A couple swigs of that stuff, and one would be out like a light.  :o

Yeah, they used stout and potent ingredients.

Thanks, I would have to look.

That's great jrvmc!

My great aunt (who's now passed away), had an antique doll collection that she had displayed in her living room.

My wife has a stuffed animal bear that was made in Germany. A former student gave it to her. She named him 'Bernhard".

I wonder if your wife's bear is a Steiff, which are/were made in Germany.  I also have a large antique doll collection.  I ended up inheriting tons of stuff because most of my family died prematurely and I was the only one left to inherit.  I know the dolls are German and from the mid 1800's.  I forgot about them until I saw your post. :)  I seem to have lost my brain in w/d. :idiot:

That's great jrvmc!

I wonder if your wife's bear is a Steiff, which are/were made in Germany.  I also have a large antique doll collection.  I ended up inheriting tons of stuff because most of my family died prematurely and I was the only one left to inherit.  I know the dolls are German and from the mid 1800's.  I forgot about them until I saw your post. :)  I seem to have lost my brain in w/d. :idiot:

jrvmc, Are we going to be seeing you on Antiques Road Show anytime soon? :)

I'm so sorry for your losses.

WWWI