Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

work and benzo withdrawal

[jj...]

I'm writing this post, and I know many of you are working while going through benzo withdrawal, and I have to say my admire and look up to you.  I cannot work in my current condition, and I am very worried.  Before starting this withdrawal, I was sending out resumes all over the place, and many work places did not like the fact that I have a big gap in my employment history.  I was up front and honest and said that I had been ill and was ready to return to the work force.  Many did not like this answer saying, "You should have been upgrading your skills or doing something with that time."  Now in the full brunt of withdrawal I am no longer sending out resumes.  Somedays I cannot even leave the house, I am so sick.  How does one pick things up again and find work, re-establish relationships, etc, after being withdrawn for so long. 

Hey, I am sure many of you will say too bad kid, just suck it up and go with it.  But, I feel I am screwed.  I don't know what to do sometimes, and think why the heck am I here?  I just wanted to vent. 

I know what you mean.  I haven't worked since 2007.  I am currently on SS Disability (for a neurological condition), so at least I have some income coming in while going through benzo w/d.  I plan on taking some online courses before putting out my resume again, but I still have quite a way to got before I'm off the benzos. 

Hang in there, you're not alone.

Wishing you well ...

Are you well enough some days to maybe start working out?  That would get you out of the house.  I have met some wonderful people in the gym.  Maybe join a walking group?  Something light and not too stressful.  I have a cousin who worries about working.  She doesn't feel like she can do it.  I suggest to her to just find something part time and see how you do.  I feel like hell most days right now, but I still pick myself up and workout and go to work everyday.  It's what keeps me going.  My husband has told me to quit working on several occasions or to find something part time, but I just can't do it.  Having a reason to get out of bed every day keeps my spirits up.  It sucks to feel bad everyday.  I want my life back!  Just hang in there something good will come your way.

I agree that working helps a lot. My oldest daughters boyfriend hadvseveral tragedies in his life and missed work so he also had  gaps in his resume. It was a real problem for him too.

He actually has since become very I'll and can't work anyway. But before that I was at Petco, and I asked the people there if it was hard to get the job and they all said no it wasn't. Then they told me how to go about it. I told my daughter but her boyfriend had just become I'll.

Perhaps you should just apply at a job like that. I see many people who work there and at shoe carnival and fabric stores and they all seem fine. I don't know if these are starter type jobs, but they are worthwhile.

Another thing that isdefinitely considered a resume builder is volunteering. Where I work, it's a surefire way to lead to a job down the road. Also you can set limited hours so you don't overwork yourself. That's probably my best recommendation. I work in a social service agency so I would just call around to volunteers of America, the salvation army. Get ahold of a 211 book. It has all the social service/ non profits that help people who really need it. You'll find something for sure and it will build your resume at the same time.

Who can bark about taking time to help others, plus you will build your kill set.

Intend

Thanks for the advice. I am a nurse by trade, and actually am looking at taking some courses to stay current.  I have applied for disability and am waiting to hear about that too. Hopefully once I get these things rolling, things will start to come along.  I have also been in touch with some friends and trying to network with them.  If things don't work out here, I am considering moving cities to get the right nursing jobs.  I can't do hospital shift work, as that is what got me on the benzos in the first place.  But, we will see how the second half of my taper goes.  I am hoping that by this time next year I will be back working in nursing again.

Well,

Being a nurse is a wonderful but very difficult job. Getting into nursing school here is next to impossible because nurses are so in demand that the waiting list is long for school. They finally just closed the list at the local community college cause the waiting list at the university was also so long.

Taking courses sounds like a great idea to "catch up" on the latest "stuff.". You've definitely studied long and hard to get where are with that degree. I think your idea of moving is great also. There's areas of this country that could definitely use you abilities.

Sounds to me like you're really trying to move on with your life. This benzo thing kind of puts a lot on hold. I didn't even know  that I  was having w/d while doing my Xanax taper and just thought I had some real weird health problems. Once I figured it out, it has literally consumed my life and I do want to stay on track.  I do work on the weekends, but w/d has made it hard.  I actually think I did better before I knew what was happening.

That makes me wonder what applies here: knowledge is power or ignorance is bliss.

Anyway, your plans sound very good.

Intend

I am Canadian and our system is bit different if you are from the states.  I graduated in 2002, after having to do placements on the floors and immediately started working in public health and other jobs in family practice nursing. I have my Bachelors in Science of Nursing from McMaster University. Having a Bachelors degree puts you way ahead of those who just have college diplomas.  I am striving to get back into family practice nursing or else what we have here called community care access centers.  You work to get people home health care services while they are planning their discharges from hospital.  However this last type of job I described would involve me leaving everything I have built here in Toronto for the past 9 years.  The job market is not like it was a couple of years back. But I have loads of experience.  So, I am hoping and praying that with this experience and updated courses I will be on track for those hard to get jobs.  Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  xoxo

Good luck to you jjbutterfly. The job market is a real challenge to all of us. I don't know much about the Canadian system education wise or the job market. Here in the US, most people I know strongly feel nursing is not as well paid as it should be considering the level of education required.

A Bachelors degree is valuable for sure. When I was in the hospital, I saw many bachelor level nurses working. But apparently the biggest is the RN which requires the masters degree. Anymore just going to a good public university here in the US is costly and really hard for people.

But you sound smart, and I think you'll get this figured out for yourself. We've had masters level interns at my job coming from I believe the University of Alberta so there is some overlap between the 2 countries regarding education and licensure. I'm certainly not the expert on that though.

But best of luck again.

Intend