Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Any of you meet friends, Boyfriend, Girlfriend while on the Benzo?

[Bi...]

Benzo withdrawal or just on benzos?  I'd imagine people wouldn't want to meet someone during the time in your life when they're probably less than charming.  :sick:

While on the meds - well, I met my future husband at probably the most stressful time of my life and we were a mis-matched couple. Due to much of the stress I was under with work and the relationship, medications kept getting added to my cocktail by p-docs, neurologists, and chronic-pain doctors. I have no idea how these affected my personality, but suffice to say, now that I am coming off the meds that my new, supportive docs feel I no longer need, my husband feels like I should stay on the meds to remain "more pleasant" and most of our communication is through emails to one another from separate rooms.

While coming off the meds - as is probably typical with a lot of people, I've lost most of the friends I had - maybe I was "more pleasant" on the meds! However, I had one old work colleague that I worked with over ten years ago. I got back in touch with him during my early stages of tapering my first med because I could still work a little then and I needed some advice from him that was work related. As I got sicker from the taper, I just started blabbering [as I often do] about what I was going through [which is normally the death knell for any friendship], but he turned out to be amazingly supportive. He doesn't understand anything about what I am going through, and he isn't going to read the Ashton Manual or anything like that. But he emails every day and asks how I am, and remembers if I've said I had a migraine and asks if it's better, etc. He doesn't care how much I complain about w/d and side effects, and we do talk about other stuff too. So, it gives me hope that there are people out there who can be understanding and caring during this process.

~marie

Have met friends on BB and PP! At least to me you all are friends :yippee: Former college bf and I had become aquainted again in May, but after the meltdown and the consequent tapering, guess he did not want to deal with that and just kind of left the scene. Heard from him again in November...promises were made that were not kept and have not heard from him since. ~sigh~ Cannot see myself in a relationship at the moment anyway. Some days, too many to count, making it through work is all I can handle. Maybe when I'm healed, if God puts someone in my life. How about you?....T2

Awww, T2 - I'm sorry about your college bf. It is a mystery to me why some people can show up in this process and others can't. After having dealt with very severe depression for several years which left me worse for the wear [this was even before tapering], I had enough strength to travel overseas to a family member's wedding. At one of the pre-wedding dinners, I was seated by the father of the groom, and because overwhelming depression had basically been the focus of my life for so long, I happened to mention that I was really struggling to get my footing from it. This man's face lit up with complete glee and he said "That is so wonderful that you've gone through that." I was thinking, "Has he had too much to drink?" But then he explained that he too suffered from severe depression for a long time and was just learning to live again. His take on it was that the experience gives you more empathy, more compassion, and the ability to live with a whole different perspective than someone who has not experienced profound suffering.

So, in a way, while this process is "suffering" right now, I believe it gives all of us here the opportunity to be richer people as we heal, and that will allow us to experience richer relationships when the time is right.

And, I should have clarified in my original post - the people I have met here, whether I ever meet them in person or not, have made my life better in so many ways.

Hugs,

marie

• 3 weeks later...

A few of the people I was friends with , having seen what I was going through just dropped out of my life. This was very upsetting. I just recently was dating someone 2 years and he just disappeared. Never called for Christmas . I returned the gifts I bought for him.

I suppose he wasnt the one. Because anyone you are thinking of a life with should be there for you no matter what. Im cautious abut telling anyone about my past. Maybe its better to keep silent. I dont know. I would hate to keep secrets now.  The best thing is probably see how its going and maybe bring it up.  Honey M

• 3 weeks later...
omg wwwi..............you make me laughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  i went through a point where my tv and i were bitter enemies...too loud, couldnt follow convo's, too bright, too annoying, basic relational issues.......now its coming around to where i can stand SOME of the convos, some sounds, sometimes its not annoying and actually intetesting, and we are now in the dating more serious phase i guess you would say.....as for the remote........that hanger on still manages to torque me off as my hubby has it set up to turn on this and that and sound this and click on that and i never can get the thing to work...so its a love hate relation there...i cant live with it but cant live without it....kinda like my stupid benzos at this point in my life or a strained relation with a wild teenager...ill get there!  great laugh for my day and thanks so much to you and pj for keeping my sense of humor alive....easy to have it get lost these days!  blessings .jen

I married my TV.  We are registered at most major electronics stores :)

Was the remote control ok with that? :mybuddy:

That brings up some very good questions PJ. lol

Since it controls both my tv and stereo is that considered polygamy? Or in my case is that polyandry? Or does that mean my stereo is just my mistress and since I'm female, does that mean my stereo is my 'mister'? Oh this gets confusing  :wacko:

Ok, I'm having threesomes...there!

LLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.........giggle giggle.....yer killin' me here!  its like that crazy sister wives show!  only maybe they all are in one house with you?  LOL

LLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.........giggle giggle.....yer killin' me here!  its like that crazy sister wives show!  only maybe they all are in one house with you?  LOL

LOL yes all of us in one house but that's only because my 2 cat's let me (us?) live there, bless their little hearts lol

Since it controls both my tv and stereo is that considered polygamy? Or in my case is that polyandry? Or does that mean my stereo is just my mistress and since I'm female, does that mean my stereo is my 'mister'? Oh this gets confusing  :wacko:

I think it's time to hire a lawyer, preferably one who is familiar with polygamy, polyandry, and who wears polyester, understands the periphreals surrounding the physical properties of electronics, and has a wife named poly. :pokey: 

I think it's time to hire a lawyer, preferably one who is familiar with polygamy, polyandry, and who wears polyester, understands the periphreals surrounding the physical properties of electronics, and has a wife named poly. :pokey:

ROFL I think this takes us full circle to Wordgames! But no polyester! LOL

Yes, I've recently met a very interesting, but rather mysterious woman named Sanity Slowtaper.

She lets me write her. I like that.

It seems to be working out nicely.

wellevan...im curious...how's the writing back going?  does she reply quickly and tell you what you want to hear or are there arguements over this and that?  lol :laugh:

wellevan...im curious...how's the writing back going?  does she reply quickly and tell you what you want to hear or are there arguements over this and that?

She's a bit moody. But she knows how to handle Doctor Benzofinger, so I make allowances.  ;)

LOL Wisewoman You are so funny  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Talking about meeting someone, some guy I met at the opening of a radio show(it was evening, I usually feel better by then) did chat me up and I was very flattered - he was gorgeous .... yes I am married (happily!) but I accepted a coffee date when hubs wasn't around.

Normally grumpy when I wake up with the dreaded morning anxiety and full of butterflies in my stomach, I did very well on my date!  I made the effort to look good (of course!) and enjoyed a pleasant hour in the coffee shop.  It made me feel good!  And I didn't mention benzos once!

He played a song for me every night on the show for a full week  :laugh:

And hubby never found out!    ;)  Glad this is anonymous!

Angel

• 2 years later...

i met the most strongest and courageous people on earth on BB!!!

im so proud to be among them and learn from them how to be a fighter!!!!

Also i got in contact with very active young women who is engaged in the fight against this evil psychiatry and big pharma!!!

she has been through the hell and also almost killed herself!

what a journey God has planned for me!

:smitten: