Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

going through terrible withdrawal, need support

[Sh...]

Five hours might not seem like a lot compared to what we are used to, but during my worst wd's I would consider five hrs a blessing :)

Here's a link to a post I found when things were really rough and I refused to take any meds to help me. It lists foods that help induce sleep and I found alot of them helpful:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=13414.0

Jeff M.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [St...]

• [Ho...]

• [fl...]

Going through some bad withdrawal, hope I can get some support her

tom , i'm working on 2-1/2 months and starting to feel a little better. just know it will end. this is the weirdest drug i have ever encountered. the longer you go the easier it will get, hang tight. rstud

Hi Tom-

I encourage you and it would be good to consult with your doctor. My doctor tried to taper me off of adtivan in a wk I asked for a slower tapering I have two wks left until I'm completely done with adtivan hopefully it will get better.

Hi Tom... Sorry it's so rough for you.  If you can drink milk, pour a cup put in microwave 2 minutes, drink hot about half an hour before bed... If you need to drink 2 do so.  The hot milk helps relax the nervous system.  5 hours sleep.. Hey that,s good!  If you have shorter hours of sleep.. Drink more hot milk.  It was a saving grace for me.  Thoughts are with you.  Pattylu

tom , i'm working on 2-1/2 months and starting to feel a little better. just know it will end. this is the weirdest drug i have ever encountered. the longer you go the easier it will get, hang tight. rstud

Thanks, I am hoping it will get better.  Trying to endure this and not reinstate.  Seeing a new doctor on Tuesday and I have a lot of questions for him. 

Hi Tom... Sorry it's so rough for you.  If you can drink milk, pour a cup put in microwave 2 minutes, drink hot about half an hour before bed... If you need to drink 2 do so.  The hot milk helps relax the nervous system.  5 hours sleep.. Hey that,s good!  If you have shorter hours of sleep.. Drink more hot milk.  It was a saving grace for me.  Thoughts are with you.  Pattylu

I will give that a try.  Overall, I had a better day, so maybe I will be a little more relaxed today.  Most of my anxiety starts to build up right before bedtime. 

stt, maybe try a hot shower before bed. it seemed to help me if only for a short time. also if tv is too much just listen to something while you try to relax. i went through total hell tom w/d from dolophine and benzos at the same time. almost went insane!! hope you feel better soon,rstud

stt, maybe try a hot shower before bed. it seemed to help me if only for a short time. also if tv is too much just listen to something while you try to relax. i went through total hell tom w/d from dolophine and benzos at the same time. almost went insane!! hope you feel better soon,rstud

Thanks for the advice. Church, warm bath, and warm milk helped last night. Not perfect, but better last night.

How are you feeling?

The good, the bad, and the ugly today.

Enjoying a good window.

Saw a new psychiatrist today. 

He told me not to reinstate, yeah! But, he recommends I go on Zoloft,  boo! He is giving me three Weeks to think  about it. 

I just want to be med free.

20 days benzo free!

My doctor gave me Zoloft and Buspirone at week four I think it was. I was in an absolutely desperate phase of acute withdrawal. I would have giving everything I own to feel better that day. So I took the Zoloft and Buspirone for three days. It was even worse. I was starting to feel the drugged feeling from the Zoloft and the Buspirone didn't seem to do anything. I quit the Zoloft and just toughed it out. I took Paxil for nine months a few years ago when our kids were giving up teenager stress. I didn't like feeling drugged all the time to be artificially calm so I quit. I didn't really want to do that again with Zoloft anyhow. If you can tough it out until you reach the better days that ARE coming, I think you'll be glad you did. I too want to be drug free. They seem to do more harm than good.

Having a very rough day. Insomnia really bad, chest discomfort, back aches, side aches.......this is unbear able.  Does it actually get worse at month 2? This is pure hell.

(((((((((((ShortTimeTom))))))))))))),

I am so sorry you are having a bad day.  What are you doing to distract yourself?  Get outside.  Get out of your head.  Breathe Deeply in and Out.

Get physical and I believe your symptoms will subside.  I know it is the last thing you want to do, but do it and I guarantee you will feel better.  Also, can you get a hug from someone?  It really, really helps.  There was a scientific study that we need a minimum of 4 hugs a day just to feel OK.  Go out and hug a friend!  :) Hugs, Laurie

stt - just saying hi and i relate; this is a very tough process.  just keep holding on.  don't think u r losing it - it is the drug.  put days together;  it is hard to face that the process is slower than we ever would have imagined; just stay on here.  people on here will luv u thru it.

we are here for you.  u r healing; this too shall pass; xoxo

Tom, Just by the tone of your posts, it sounds to me like you're in the depths of acute withdrawal judging by my own experience. I think you're in the worst of it. I'm not a doctor but just reading the tone sounds too familiar. This will pass. I know it's hell right now but it will pass. I wish I could tell you when but it will be soon. Hang in there and try not to fight it. Just let it pass. Like having a horrible case of flu, you know when you're in the worst of it, it really sux but, you also know it'll pass. This will too and you'll get some reprieve. The waves can be nasty too but not like acute withdrawal if I'm using the terms correctly. I feel for you. I remember those days. I didn't think I could handle it anymore but here it is four months out and I'm doing so much better. You'll look back on it too.

Thanks Stevie, it is really tough.  I know there is hope, but it is tough right now.  Feels like rebound anxiety.  The problem is I have seen 3 doctors and they all say it isn't benzo withdrawal which makes it even harder.

I do need to concentrate on something else, but it is hard when you are in constant pain.

I know what you're talking about. Sometimes I just sat and closed my eyes shaking and vibrating internally trying to keep it together. Nothing to do about it but let it pass. I play a guitar a little but even that didn't do the trick. My first surgeon called it rebound anxiety and thought it would pass within a week. He's a good surgeon but he don't know jack about benzo withdrawals. I was miserable while he was telling me it's because I was used to being mellow and now it's me again. It is rebound anxiety caused by our GABA neurotransmitters being out of whack. I believe all of our symptoms are the result of chemically induced rebound anxiety multiplied to the point we're very sick, damaged and wired as our bodies work to correct the chemical balance again. Hang tough my friend. It's going to get better.

Thanks Stevie, it is really tough.  I know there is hope, but it is tough right now.  Feels like rebound anxiety.  The problem is I have seen 3 doctors and they all say it isn't benzo withdrawal which makes it even harder.

I do need to concentrate on something else, but it is hard when you are in constant pain.

Hey Tom,

Yeah that is the hardest part because doctors have always been there for us in the past to help, and we've always trusted them, but they are just in denial or severely undereducated when it comes to the topic of benzo withdrawal.

I think the problem is that they think of it in terms of 'withdrawal' like with every other drug in the world, but really it's not just withdrawal. It's the damage that it does to our brains that must be repaired. I mean, when I quit smoking, THAT was withdrawal. Even after a week or two off I really wanted a cigarette. I've been off benzos for over six months and I can't even stand to look at one. But my problems stem from the damage the drugs did during the short period of time that I took them.

Sadly, at some point we basically have to use the doctors to get access to the pills in order to taper, but I just stopped listening to anything they had to say. I haven't seen one since the day I picked up my last scrip, and I don't plan on ever going back unless absolutetly necessary. Hope you feel better soon Tom, don't let the docs get you down  :thumbsup:

Jeff M.

I am trying to decide if I am in withdrawal or my old anxieties are just flaring up.  I have some unresolved issues, but I have to deal with them without meds.  I have felt pretty crappy for months now.  Seeing my therapist tomorrow and going to talk through it.

I slept last night but woke up in a severe depression.  My other symptoms are sore back, slight headache, feeling of indigestion, side aches, gasy....all symptoms of withdrawal but also symptoms of anxiety.

It is so hard to figure out and get myself on the right path.

Could be both as withdrawal symptoms are "almost" all caused by increased anxiety due to our damaged GABA receptors if I'm saying that right. I'm normally a worry wort and a little anxious over something most of the time. But, today was a clear window day for me and even a little blood from my surgery site (rectum) didn't stop me in my tracks with panic and fear like when I'm in a wave. It's a totally different outlook without the withdrawal symptoms. I'm concerned and a little anxious but not debilitated or sick over it. I think once you get past the withdrawal symptoms you'll be better able to work on your anxiety issues if you're like me. Just my humble opinion based on my experience and a bunch of reading.

Convulsions, or uncontrollable body shakes. Anyone have them? I have had a couple of shaking fits today.

Yep, I've had those. Mostly mild tremors or shakes for me. It was always short term and temporary though during a bad wave.

Jeff M.

Convulsions, or uncontrollable body shakes. Anyone have them? I have had a couple of shaking fits today.

Yep, I've had those. Mostly mild tremors or shakes for me. It was always short term and temporary though during a bad wave.

Jeff M.

I have those inner tremors, almost every day. Sometimes they last for a few minutes, if I'm stressed. Other times they last for days and have no obvious cause. I'd like to make the point, these are not convulsions, ShortTimeTom. Convulsions are much more serious. The tremors you're feeling are as a result of the nerves in the muscles being overly excited.

Many people here have the same sensation, Tom. We say it's like sitting on top of a washing machine while it's running. Just remember, it won't hurt you. This is your brain trying to rewire itself. I know it's scary but it's only your nerves firing off.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [...]
    • [Oc...]
    • [Pe...]
    • [Bu...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [ha...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [Ka...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [...]