Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What does everyone do for fun or distraction?

[Iw...]

Any opinions would be great! im looking for something to distract my mind and pass this last leg of w/d, thank you

It is really hard to do anything in the throws of w/d's. I've had to force myself to get out and get my mind off the w/d's. one thing i do daily is play my guitar. also been fishing in the gulf of mexico every other day or so. i did get freaked out two days ago when the "noseeums" were a cloud around me biting me all over. really felt weird with the skin crawling anyway. i am 76 days off all drugs and feeling better every day. when i first went off i could hardly walk to the mailbox. if you have the strength do anything to pass the time. do what makes you happy, any of your old hobbies. you will beat this and be stronger and happy,rstud

I try to get outside and garden, but its getting colder now.  Read a book, the librarians know my hubby and me by sight.  They even know what kind of books we read.  We're "that cute couple".  I play games on the computer, check into this forum, and have a few TV shows I like.  Try to take a nap, but just lay there.  It's not easy.  Shop, if I have too and only with hubby.  Hope it gets better.

Popcornlady

This may sound simple but for me what really takes the edge off of the wds is laying down on my bed and watching a relaxing movie, not a scary or drama, but something that will calm me a bit. The wds don't go away  I can still feel them but that is the only thing that has helped me in this process. I tend to draw away from people because too loud pitches in the voice or family too active kind of makes my nerves go wild and adds to my wds so I relax on my bed away from everyone in my room.

Everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for others try different things and find what gives you peace of mind. The mind is a powerful thing use that to your advantage. I know when I have it real bad I tell myself over and over again that it's not that bad in hopes that my mind will overcome the withdraws. Needless to say that doesn't work but I still try it lol.. Also going on this site also helps a great deal as well.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers

Annie

• 4 months later...

I´m the same as Annie, lots of TV/Movies often on quietly whilst i type on here... sometimes i actually watch it properly but NO horror/drama stuff for me...

I started collecting Blu-ray´s, i have over 160 titles now... had to ease up on amazon.com  :laugh:

Os

I go out every day and sometimes go to the bingo it helps me to forget my problems.  I also like going clothes shopping and walking. :yippee:

There is a lot I do for distraction, but not much for fun. I don't understand the word fun anymore.

I was going to say eating.. but I also don't want to gain wait. So that ruins that I guess. Maybe one pizza with jalapenos on the weekend. I know.. wooo.. I'll try not to get too carried away.

I'm basically at retarded levels of living... yay, I get a pizza on the weekend.

Lifetime Movie Network movies!  They are like a dime store novel-most are REALLY bad.  You can't stop watching them and they make time go quickly.  Unfortunately, I have been a slug for so long I am now watching most of them the 2nd time around.  I think I need to subscribe to a movie channel. :)

I like learning new things. When I withdrew 5 years ago (and I'm doing this now) I pick out things I always wish I had time to learn, and then indulge my curiosities. The Internet is great for this. In severe w/d I should have backed away from the Internet, it was too stimulating, but when things are smooth, I can lean on it (in fact I was never a high tech person but now I find studying I T interesting, though applying the knowledge, well, that may take more time).

Netflix.  I search out those really s-l-o-w Brit dramas where everyone speaks softly and nothing much ever happens.  Walking.  Cleaning my house.  I clean one room every day and then start over.  My house has never been cleaner!  Playing Scrabble online, although my mind is dull and the computer beats me a lot.  I used to be a champ!  Daydreaming idly about all the things I'm going to do once I am well and truly healed.

MiniMinnie

• 2 years later...

Ancestry research online. It's obsessive.

Reorganizing my bookshelves

Going through the closets and drawers and collecting stuff for goodwill

Dusting every surface

Playing Words With Friends

Organizing paperwork

Trying to read online foreign news

Googling myself...my 15 minutes of fame have come and gone

Watch the weather channel

Hi there

If you look at my blog and the other thread in my signature you will find out.  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Some of us have a lot of fun on these threads!!  I am getting better but still in bed 95% of the time. Those who are very unwell might not appreciate our daft humour. Been in bed 13 months so gradually getting crazier.  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:  I am very fortunate as I am not depressed or unhappy except when pain strikes.

I can't cope with reading text much so images are great. Can't do much which requires physical effort so internet is good.

Do online word puzzles and play online scrabble with others. Have radio on at same time.

Watch cartoons (age 60!!) and comedies. Am gradually watching more news and politics programmes.

Chech emails/Facebook. Enjoy seeing friends and family members. Live alone.  :'(

Chat to friends on phone.  Love it.  >:D

All rather different from working full time in a professional job but hey I may as well have some fun while I can.  >:D

Hugs

LF  :smitten: