Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Advice please need to understand my w/d

[my...]

You did a fairly quick taper?  what was the amount and time of you last few cuts

How was your w/d symptoms during your taper and how long after you finished did you start to feel better?

To whom are you addressing this question?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [my...]

• [el...]

• [Th...]

• [Je...]

Is there any relationship to your w/d symptoms during your taper and how your react when you finally drop off the drug?  Is it possible to have pretty severe w/d during the taper and after you stop it does not get worse?

I read where a lot of people seem to have minimal w/d symptoms

I am having some tough w/d symptoms including weakness, burning skin, palipations and shakyness including fog brain. I find myself laying day off and on during the day and cannot go out for very long, I get very tired and worsens w/d

I am wondering if there is something wrong with me?  Do most people have these bad symptoms?

I held for 12 days with my last cut, never really felt too good, the last day was better but had w/d in waves. Now I cut again 3 days ago, first day not good, second day better, third day bad

please I want to get off of this drug I am beginning to think I never will - and I am very afraid of the last drop - need your advice

I have a strange question;

Does anyone know what physical part of the brain the gaba receptors are in?

yes, I have read it, but she discusses Long term chronic users - I was only on for 39 days

Hi Mylosmiles,

If you have read it then you have to realize that she also states that most of these drugs should not be used for longer than 2 weeks because after that amount of time, one can become dependant so I believe she considers anything over the recommended two weeks, that is considered long term? I thought she also discussed the part of the brain the gaba receptors are affecting. I will try to find it.

T2

She considers anything over 6 months long term use, I found that somewhere in her book 

She actually says 2 to 4 weeks w/d for short term but each person is different  So far that has not worked for me..

Hi Mylosmiles,

Here are a couple quotes from her manual.....

"Dependence. Benzodiazepines are potentially addictive drugs: psychological and physical dependence can develop within a few weeks or months of regular or repeated use. There are several overlapping types of benzodiazepine dependence."

I too thought that since I was only on them for a short time, I wouldn't have any problems getting off.

"Mechanisms of action. Anyone struggling to get off their benzodiazepines will be aware that the drugs have profound effects on the mind and body apart from the therapeutic actions. Directly or indirectly, benzodiazepines in fact influence almost every aspect of brain function. For those interested to know how and why, a short explanation follows of the mechanisms through which benzodiazepines are able to exert such widespread effects."

It appears that benzos affect every aspect of brain function according to her.

T2

I am sure that is right, in my case I am already on such a small amount that I think I need to get off.  The w/d symptoms that I have are sometimes very severe and sometimes very mild, they come and go.  She says that some people never find relief from w/d until they are finally off of the drugs.  But her clinical studies are all done with people who used benzo's for more than 2 years up to 20 years.

I think that at 3.75mg of temazepan right now that is equal to 1.875mg of vallium, if for my next drop I divided the 3.75 by 3 which is 1.25 and drop by that amount to 2.5, then to 1.25 then off. That would put me at the vallium equivalent of .625mg

I read that Colin said that most people drop off at about .5mg of vallium

Hi Mylosmiles,

As far as jumping when you get to equivalent of .5 valium, I am not that familar with valium usage so I cannot really tell you if this is reasonable. Someone else will have to advise you on this.

T2

Is there anyone else on this board that has w/d symptoms til the end?  I would like to know someone elses experience,

Is there anyone else on this board that has w/d symptoms til the end?  I would like to know someone elses experience,

Yes, I think we all have! But they wax and wane in most cases.

This quote is for Theresa

"Surveys of general practices show that on average there are over 180 long-term (6 months or more) prescribed benzodiazepine users in every general practice,"

this is from one of Prof Ashtons speeches to a group in the UK

I don't seem to have any quality of life during this taper - is that normal or do most people lead a normal life while doing this?

Hi Mylosmiles,

Well I was only on them for 8 weeks and have had w/d symptoms off and on since 2/18 when I started tapering. Some days are worse than others. Some days are quite normal. Like Eljay said it waxes and wanes. Many people that do titration tapers or slow tapers work. Just be thankful we found out sooner or later what these drugs can do to you after long term use.

T2

Thanks for your advice, I have better times and worse times am hoping that I will be finished soon and that us short term users all have a fast recovery after the last dose.

jenilyn

You tapered off pretty fast, how was your w/d symptoms?  I have struggled with my taper, I went fast at first and now hard at the end.

I am weak and cannot do much but stay around the house, was this normal for you?

Hi,

Well, as I have said before, my whole nightmare was almost unbearable for me.  But I honestly have to say I felt better when I had less and less of the drug in my system.  The only thing that kept me from C/T was the fear of seizures.  I was severely agoraphobic...but once I was completely off...I overcame that one too.

I know it's horrible...but the best thing is to keep tapering and look forward to that day when you are completely free.  I truly didn't start to heal until I was off them.  Keep a journal if you can of your symptoms so you can see the improvements as they happen.  I wish I would have done that so I could have given you all more accurate answers.  So much of that time I don't even remember.  It was the most horrible thing I have ever been through...but I got through it...and I healed...and you will too.

Lots of Love and Support,

Jen

How fast was your taper?  getting towards the end now and having some bad days and some good days.  It looks as if you tapered pretty fast

Jenilyn

How long after finishing your taper did you w/d symptoms continue?  I am worried because I came off of two drugs at the same time - ATivan .25 per week for three weeks.  One month off now and just the little temazepan left but my w/d symptoms are still prett tough -

Do you think I have ruined myself????

Please need some advice

No honey you have not ruined yourself.  I tapered from mid January to mid March.  I did it pretty fast...but the drugs were doing more harm than good for me.  I probably wasn't feeling a whole lot better until May or June.  I really wish I would have kept better records but I barely even remember those horrible days.  It's all a nightmare blur.  I do know I was working full time by August.

You will get through this...I promise!

Love,

Jen

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [...]
    • [da...]
    • [in...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Av...]
    • [Bi...]
    • [be...]
    • [hu...]