Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can obsessions compromise recovery?

[El...]

Hi buddies,

After two horrific days of unbearable psychic symptoms (48 long hours without keeping my head above water), I woke up early this morning and decided not to go back to sleep, cause sometimes when I did it and woke up again I felt bad. I was feeling quite "normal" and was enjoying the calm of this window (not too many psychic and physical symptoms), when OCD (I have contamination obsessions) attacked me 3 or 4 times. At the end, I came to feel terraced, everything had reversed and my whole previous state had settled black.

Have you ever had to face a similar situation? For stuff as ridiculous as foolish obsessions? I am disgusted to have broken a window, while I have so little of them.

Edited by [El...]

Try not to worry about obsessing, I think it will diminish by itself as you heal. And I don't think you can delay healing, it happens anyway no matter what you are obsessing about. It's just a symptom, you know? Like muscular jerks, they just happen, doesn't mean you can avoid them. They are very uncomfortable and annoying but not damaging.

• Like 2

Hi, @[El...], i had severe ocd obsessions while tapering and in the acute phase afterwards. They don't hold us back. It's rather a symptom of healing and if you had it before it should most probably worsen for a while and then get back, at least, to what it used to be.

I'd read about the symptom before it actually came and the information was of tremendous help. I didn't worry and knew i shouldn't fight it but wait, although the ocd fits were really exhausting.

I'm sure it must get better and regardless of whether you worry about it or not. Keep healing!

• Like 2