Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How do I quit 1mg Clonazepam (I have adhd)

I take 1mg of clonazepam at night. Ive been taking it since late june.

I did a failed taper doing .25/week replacing it with pregabalin 150mg for 2 week and pregabalin 300mg for two weeks and It was a disaster. Ended back at the psychward that put me back on the clonazepam.

8 days without 1mg of clonazepam while I was on 300mg pregabalin and 45mg mirtazapine. (both medications I was on for only a month)

It's been a almost 2 month since I quit both mirtazapine and pregabalin cold turkey and my whole nervous system feels broken. 

Symptoms:

- Stiff Muscles

- Very bad panic attacks

- Depression

- Confusion

- Facial paralysis

- Difficulty breathing

- Crying

- Random rapid heart rates

I have a dopamine deficiency and im scared that if I quit I will die.

I only take 1mg clonazepam at night and during the morning and afternoon I get these moments of glutamate anxiety storms that are frying away at my brain. 

Sometimes it feels like i'm seizing up where my body freezes and I can't control my body. 

I don't know if I should up my dose of clonazepam and have a .5 dose in the morning and then work my way down very slowly?

I don't know if I can even manage the withdrawal symptoms. 

I had really bad anxiety and overactive bladder before so that was why I took the clonazepam in the first place.

I also have really old parents (Mom 61) and (Dad 70) (I'm 21 year old male 126 pounds)

I think i'm too sensitive to be quitting. 

I feel if I taper and when both of them die or even one of them it will put me in a really bad place.

I rely on my parents to take care of me because I have intellectual disabilities and i'm just really scared. 

I hope theres light at the end 

Someone please help me.

Stabilize for a time at current dose then when feeling better do a slow taper. People here will guide you on it. These things take a lot of time and you have many possible drug and withdrawal side effects going on.  Take your time.

Noone has ADHD. It like most of this industry is just part of the sales trope. 

Klonopin is more of an anxiety pill than a sleeping pill. 

I suggest taking it in the morning and doing a slow taper.

I had panic attacks on and off of klonopin so it's not really helping. The benzo IS most likely causing all the other symptoms you listed. It is poisonous. 

You should look into ways to calm your mind and body such as meditation. Hard to believe but it does work.

There arent easy answers here.  It will be hard but many have managed to recover and you will get support here on your way. 

It seems you know you need to get off this chemical. Hopefully you can do it in the least harmful and easiest way possible with good advice. 

Hey @[Jo...],

I was just reading your original thread to see if I can offer any other suggestions for you and I saw that it was suggested that you could try splitting your Clonazepam dose into 2 doses, morning  and night.  It really sounds like you are dealing with inter-dose withdrawal along with the effects of your cold-turkey.  

How do you feel about trying to take a dose twice a day, .5 mgs in the morning and again in the evening?  It may provide you with some relief.

I can really relate to the feeling of your nervous system being "broken", I felt that way too after my cold-turkey years ago.  It really does get better with time.

Also, I have a couple of close family members who have ADHD.  It took some time, but they have found the right medications and coping techniques and they are doing quite well.  One is now a high-school teacher, married to a lovely woman, and raising two beautiful children.  The other is still a child, but is doing just fine.  With good support and treatment, you'l do just fine too.

• Like 1

Be careful listening to anyone promoting chemical cures on here. None are long term options. Most create the conditions they supposedly treat. There is also most definately backing from the industry involved on this site. Possibly studying and defending a defunct trade. 

You will still get help but do your own research and make your own decisions. I really recommend googling mad in america. They take it a step too far but are 99% correct. The greater good choice is what they represent.  

Psychiatry really should be scrapped but there is overlap with neurology which likely should not. 

Years after recovering from benzos everyone understands the trap. Some like to think it doesnt apply to the other chemicals but they are the same. Create something they supposedly treat and since recovery takes so long few figure it out. 

There are only the more and less harmed and the more or less gullible. 

• Love 1

15 hours ago, [[F...] said:

9 hours ago, [[F...] said:

Be careful listening to anyone promoting chemical cures on here. None are long term options. Most create the conditions they supposedly treat. There is also most definately backing from the industry involved on this site. Possibly studying and defending a defunct trade. 

You will still get help but do your own research and make your own decisions. I really recommend googling mad in america. They take it a step too far but are 99% correct. The greater good choice is what they represent.  

Psychiatry really should be scrapped but there is overlap with neurology which likely should not. 

Years after recovering from benzos everyone understands the trap. Some like to think it doesnt apply to the other chemicals but they are the same. Create something they supposedly treat and since recovery takes so long few figure it out. 

@[Fr...],

Your comments are unacceptable and not in the spirit of this support forum. We never deny or dismiss anyone’s diagnosis. It would be folly and dangerous for us to do any such thing. Each person comes here with their own set of circumstances and conditions. We accept that and will support them, as is our mission.

It is ludicrous that you state that BB is backed by the pharmaceutical industry. This comment is so far out there it almost makes me laugh. However, it is not funny. Your statement is completely and unequivocally untrue. 

There are problems with modern medicine. With all the advances today, there continue to be misdiagnosis and less than stellar care in some cases. However, dismissing the entire medical profession including psychiatry is demeaning to those in the profession who do help, care and provide good medical support.

BB is not anti drug or anti psychiatry. Some people find medications helpful for whatever issues they are dealing with. I agree that each person must be proactive about their health and makes decisions that best suit their circumstances, including decisions for mental health. 

Please be supportive of our members and the decisions they make for their mental and physical health.

pianogirl

• Like 6

16 hours ago, [[F...] said:

Stabilize for a time at current dose then when feeling better do a slow taper. People here will guide you on it. These things take a lot of time and you have many possible drug and withdrawal side effects going on.  Take your time.

No, you don't, @[Fr...].

11 hours ago, [[F...] said:

No words.

I suggest that you get out of the rabbit hole and seek some more reliable sources.

Writing this while relaxing in the pool with a daiquiri on an inflatable air mattress at my Big Pharma-sponsored villa in the Seychelles. Must go, it is early evening here and the dancing girls are about to arrive. Toodle pip!

:) .  Looks like people are getting all excited. I would like to say that you two may not be against the industry but BB isnt you. It is the many many people here.  Few agree with you but most know this is not a place for that discussion because the people in control here enforce their opinions. Its pretty funny really. 

18 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

I would like to say that you two may not be against the industry but BB isnt you.

Of course not. But BB has policy positions (as is our/my right*), just like any other community. And you will find that the whole team are behind members being able to choose which medications they take, the medical help they seek, without being scared off by comments from other members.

* This being a freedom of expression principle, as operator/owner of BB. Just as it is for anyone else who wishes to create an online community.

I dont think anyone was taking away anyones choice.  Instilling lots of caution and getting people to consider other perspectives is a good thing.  What you consider your right is a bit of an issue since it is contrary to the freedom of expression principle and authoritarian.  As long as they can post its fine. As long as it stays civil I guess.   People will make their own decisions. 

28 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

I dont think anyone was taking away anyones choice.  Instilling lots of caution and getting people to consider other perspectives is a good thing.  What you consider your right is a bit of an issue since it is contrary to the freedom of expression principle and authoritarian.  As long as they can post its fine. As long as it stays civil I guess.   People will make their own decisions. 

It really is not. Assuming that the US Constitution might apply (since BB is hosted in the US), the First Amendment generally applies only to Government. Private persons and the entities they own are generally free to draw whatever content restrictions they deem appropriate for the spaces they operate. This is a free speech principle too - I should not be compelled to particular speech, or allow particular speech at entities I operate. Do you think there in any journalistic operation which will publish whatever their reporters wish to write? Are newspapers compelled to publish 'letters to the editor'? Should an interviewee be able to express anything they wish, however they wish, on a news channel without any consequence (a challenge, cutting them off, not having having them back on)? If someone visits your home and starts calling your wife names, would that be OK because 'freedom of speech'?

I do not intend to keep discussing this subject here - it is derailing the thread - I expect we will just go around in circles anyway. But you are free to start a an off-topic thread about this - and I might even join in!

You might find this informative:

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R47986

Careful guys. These people want to think of themselves as reasonable but the effect of their opinions is to promote psychopharmachology. They are dangerous. Please do your own research and look at both sides. There is some good information out there. 

2 hours ago, [[F...] said:

Careful guys. These people want to think of themselves as reasonable but the effect of their opinions is to promote psychopharmachology. They are dangerous. Please do your own research and look at both sides. There is some good information out there. 

No, @[Fr...]. It is just that I, the team, and the majority of members appreciate that our personal experiences are our own, and it is foolhardy (and even dangerous) to draw broad conclusions based personal experiences and anecdotes.

I do not tell you what medicines you should take and what medical assistance you should and should not seek. As per our rules and policies, I ask you to do the same.

From our community guidelines:

Guidelines - BenzoBuddies - Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Support

WRITING STYLE: Please adopt a non-prescriptive writing style. Relating your experiences, stating options, or posting suggestions of what other members might do are all welcome. However, advising members of what they should or must do is against the ethos of the BenzoBuddies Community. Nor should you attempt to 'diagnose' medical problems or suggest medical treatments to other members. This policy also applies to members with medical qualifications. A more detailed explanation of this policy can be found in our Guidelines Regarding the Giving of Medical Advice document.

And although it needs updating, you might also read the linked Giving of Medical Advice document. And you might read this document too:

Guidelines Regarding the Giving of Medical Advice

But let's now get this thread back on target.