Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Coping strategies that have worked for me

I was put on Clonazepam and Ativan almost 17 years ago because of a brain injury and PTSD that occurred in a motorcycle accident. I have also struggled with depression, anxiety, along with physical pain and limitations. I have had many years of up and downs. Over the past year I had been feeling better and felt I did not need the meds as I once did. I began tapering several months ago and have not had any meds since. October 1, 2024.  I have been hit hard with withdrawal, not wanting to go on at times. I would like to share coping strategies that have worked for me, hoping that it will help someone else. 

My self talk, frame of mind and expectations are key. When you are “in” these times of mental and physical anguish, it is very hard to think new thoughts. I have found that knowing these symptoms WILL pass, they are “normal” and keeping myself as calm and relaxed as possible, enable me to pass through the wave. 

I have found for the muscle pain, spasms and nerve pain, heating pads work well to relieve symptoms. I have 2 large heating pads that I have used on every part of my body, including my face.  I have realized that the times I woke up at night gasping for breath, that it was spasms in my diaphragm hindering my breathing.  When it happen during the day where the pain and spasms in my diaphragm made it difficult to breathe, I put a heating pad on and it calmed down the muscles.  I have also had trouble swallowing, that muscle does not seem to work right a lot of the time, have just found that drinking water helps me swallow.  
I have taken over the counter muscle relaxer.  Since it’s really hard to measure the symptoms, I am not sure how much they have helped but I take them before going to bed.  I still have times without sleep (when the brain is in overdrive) but I feel it does help the pain and spasms. 

I have also found that when the nerve endings are “miss firing” (not sure how else to describe) I was fortunate enough to have someone who thought of gently massaging my skin. This helped the acute tortuous feeling subside to be manageable.  

I am not the kind of person who likes to talk about what I am going through. However, I have found that talking about it, is therapeutic. And also, they may have some good ideas about how to help.  I realize by what people say, they do not truly understand exactly what I am feeling but can still help in different ways.  I know not everyone has someone to talk to. So, if you don’t, talk and cry out to God. He created us and knows how and what would help us.   God has definitely been my strength as I am going through this. 

My tongue has been tingling for months. I have developed sores on it at times. I have found that gargling with salt water helps heal them. 

I went for a chiropractic treatment and deep tissue massage last week. Although they were very painful treatments, they definitely changed things for me. It felt like a good step in this healing process. 

I am also not feeling guilty or bad for resting. I have always been the type to push through and just do. I had my family this weekend for our Canadian thanksgiving. I did not understand how using my muscles would increase the pain for me.  I was in a lot of pain from preparing for and having company. I did not know how much the noise would overstimulate me and how bad that overstimulation would make me feel. How much it increased my anxiety, shut down my brain, exasperated my brain function , nerve explosions, physical pain, mental anguish, twitching and muscle pain. It’s hard to describe how I felt on the Sunday evening but it felt like my body was dying. 

I have been resting since, having times of windows and waves. I read some more on this forum and it helps understanding and relating to people.  Still feeling like I am teetering on the edge, I wanted to share somethings that have helped me going through this.  As I have read, we need HOPE and that is one of the things people are looking for on this forum. I am hopeful and thankful that God is giving me the strength to go THROUGH this process.  There will be an end….to the never ending symptoms. 

You are not the only one!  Symptoms will get better!!  You are strong enough to get through this!!!

• Like 2

Hello @[Hi...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I am glad you found us! :) Congratulations for getting off clonapezam successfully, it is a wonderful achievement! 

Thank you so much for sharing with us what kind of coping strategies worked for you - it is as well a learning process to cope with all those uncomfortable symptoms. Indeed, I have been using some of these myself, mostly successfully.

Is there a way we can support you? 

Thank you for the encouragement again, I am positive our members will appreciate it a lot!

Take care, 

RR

• Like 1

Welcome to BB, @[Hi...]. Thanks for passing on your withdrawal coping strategies. You are going through so much and yet you know things will get better with time. Hang in there. You are among people who truly understand. Best wishes, Ctlady

• Like 2