Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Study, Feb/24: Examining Adult Patients' Success with Discontinuing Long-term Benzodiazepine Use: a Qualitative Study

[La...]

Examining Adult Patients' Success with Discontinuing Long-term Benzodiazepine Use: a Qualitative Study

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37653209/

Abstract

Background: Little is known about patients' experiences with benzodiazepine (BZD) discontinuation, which is thought to be challenging given the physiological and psychological dependence and accompanying potential for significant withdrawal symptoms. The marked decline in BZD prescribing over the past decade in the US Department of Veterans Affairs healthcare system presents an important opportunity to examine the experience of BZD discontinuation among long-term users.

Objective: Examine the experience of BZD discontinuation among individuals prescribed long-term BZD treatment to identify factors that contributed to successful discontinuation.

Design: Descriptive qualitative analysis of semi-structured interviews conducted between April and December of 2020.

Participants: A total of 21 Veterans who had been prescribed long-term BZD pharmacotherapy (i.e., > 120 days of exposure in a 12-month period) and had their BZD discontinued.

Approach: We conducted semi-structured interviews with Veteran participants to learn about their BZD use and the process of discontinuation, with interviews recorded and transcribed verbatim. Data were deductively and inductively coded and coded text entered into a matrix to identify factors that contributed to successful BZD discontinuation.

Key results: The mean age of interview participants was 63.0 years (standard deviation 3.9); 94.2% were male and 76.2% were white. Of 21 participants, only 1 had resumed BZD treatment (prescribed by a non-VA clinician). Three main factors influenced success with discontinuation: (1) participants' attitudes toward BZDs (e.g., risks of long-term use, perceived lack of efficacy, potential for dependence); (2) limited withdrawal symptoms; and (3) effective alternatives, either from their clinician (e.g., medication, psychotherapy) or identified by participants.

Conclusions: BZD discontinuation after long-term use is relatively well tolerated, and participants appreciated reducing their medication exposure, particularly to one associated with physical dependence. These findings may help reduce both patient and clinician anxiety related to BZD discontinuation.

• Like 1

"The primary limitation of this work is that our interviews were with a sample of patients who did, with one exception, successfully complete BZD discontinuation".

"Therefore, it does not refect the experience of those who may have attempted discontinuation and did not succeed."

These are very important elements hidden in the discussion - I am really concerned about providers who are not that thorough and might feel encouraged to depescribe based on these findings. And I wonder if it makes sense to have such a study with these limitations - I really doubt so. 

It makes us remember we have a lot of work to do - thank you for this!

• Like 1

Thank you for the find and share @[La...]

Fyi the full paper is available at:

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s11606-023-08385-z.pdf

I agree this qualitative study has major limitations @[Re...].  For example,  in addition to the one you identified, the definition of ‘long term use’ is questionable.

However, what’s most concerning to me is that one of the authors (Maust) is a member of the medical advisory panel for the ASAM Clinical Practice Guideline on Benzodiazepine Tapering being developed under contract for the US Federal Drug Administration.