Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How do I quit 1mg clonazepam with pre existing mental health issues (Depression, anxiety, low iq)

[Jo...]

I take 1mg of clonazepam a day and been taking it for 5 months.

I tried tapering the clonazepam multiple times but the withdrawal effects were too severe. So I talked to a psychiatrist about quitting .25 of clonazepam per week while replacing it with pregabalin with a final dose of 300mg a day. 

Let me tell you that was a mistake. 8 days after no clonazepam and taking 300mg of pregabalin caused me to experience facial numbness, extreme anhedonia. I couldn't understand what people on the TV were saying or remember what they said. I couldnt run and had symptoms of parkinsons.

The taper was done too quickly.

Went back to an inpatient psychiatric hospital and they cold turkied the pregabalin 300mg after almost a month of being on it. I'm still suffering with memory issues. 

Back on the 1mg of clonazepam and trying to recover from the pregabalin. 

Should I start on a ssri and mirtazapine for my pre existing anxiety and depression and wait out the pregabalin before I start the taper? 

Hi @[Jo...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I am really sorry you to hear you’ve gone through such a difficult time. I completely agree that cutting 0,25mg per week is way too fast. It took me approximately 21 months to taper 1mg Clonazepam. I can understand it must’ve been pretty rough for you.

Right now I would suggest you hold your current 1mg to give your body time to recover from the rapid taper and the Pregabalin cold turkey. I personally would not introduce any more meds at this stage because your body has been through a lot. I think you just need to hold for several weeks to recover and then start a slow taper and see how it goes. That would be my advice. 

Are you feeling any better since reinstating the Clonazepam? 

• Like 1

I felt a little better. Suffering through a lot of depression. No motivation and having panic attacks throughout the day. 

4 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

I felt a little better. Suffering through a lot of depression. No motivation and having panic attacks throughout the day. 

Do you support? Family or friends? These symptoms are very common during withdrawal. If you can get through the worst stage it should gradually get better as you hold. And  knowing you have support you can fall back on helps a lot. 

I have my mom and dad to help me but they can only do so much for me. I have an intellectual disability so I basically rely on them 24/7. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking of taking .5mg twice a day instead of taking 1mg once a day so I have an even blood concentration.

Edited by [Jo...]

54 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

I'm thinking of taking .5mg twice a day instead of taking 1mg once a day so I have an even blood concentration.

Do you have interdose withdrawal?

32 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Do you have interdose withdrawal?

No but I'm experiencing withdrawals from pregabalin and high dose mirtazapine.

I take my clonazepam at bedtime and then when the drug wears off I start to get panic attacks and start crying in the morning and afternoon.

When I took mirtazapine at low dose it helped my sleep when I was tapering so I might go back to a low dose mirtazapine with .5mg clonazepam twice daily instead of once a day.

I was originally prescribed .5 twice daily but it would make me too sedated in the morning. But I prefer sedation over constant panicking and crying.