Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

My Journey to Quitting Benzodiazepines – Support and Progress

[ol...]

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share my story as I'm currently on the journey of quitting benzodiazepines. I had been taking them for a few years to manage anxiety and insomnia, but recently I started to feel like my life revolved around the pills. They stopped working as well as they used to, and I began to realize I was becoming dependent on them.

About three months ago, I decided enough was enough – I wanted to take back control of my life. I started tapering off the medication slowly under my doctor’s supervision. The first few weeks were tough: my anxiety got worse, sleep became even more difficult, and I experienced feelings of unreality (derealization). But I knew this was temporary and that things would improve over time.

I also reached out to a therapist specializing in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), and that has been really helpful. On top of that, I’ve started practicing meditation and doing light exercise, which helps keep me grounded during the process.

I want to emphasize that everyone’s path is different, and having support is crucial. How has your journey been? What strategies worked best for you?

I’d really appreciate any advice or encouragement.

Wishing us all strength and patience as we work toward freedom!

Hello @[ol...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies, 

I am happy you found us! 

Well, there is only one thing I wish I did before I quit benzodiazepines, and that is joining this wonderful community. I am really glad you are way ahead of me :)

One of the most important things to remember about the proper cessation of benzodiazepines is slow and symptom adjusted tapering with a proper tapering method. The general recommended rate of reduction is 5-10% of your previous dose every 2-3 weeks, but some of our members reduce their dose even slower. 

Behavioural therapy are light excersise are indeed important to our recovery, but our symptoms and their severity usually tends to correlate with the speed of cessation the most - nothing can replace a smooth and careful reduction. As you have been experiencing derealization, being a very common symptom - you might have been reducing too fast. Keep in mind, recovery from benzodiazepine dependence might be really time consuming for many.

Could you tell us about you history with benzodiazepines, what doses have you taken and for how long? How much have you dropped in what timeframe so far, and how much are you taking now? Are you functional, can you fulfill your daily tasks and responsibilities?

Take care, 

RR

Hello @[ol...] and welcome to the forum from me as well!

Benzos are tricky drugs, once tolerance is reached, and you appear to have been there, it takes more and more of the drug to achieve the original effect.

It’s good you have the support of your doctor. I would also agree with @[Re...]in terms of utilizing a slow and sensible taper plan. 

This forum was my lifeline, I finally found people who understood what I was going through. I wished I found it earlier, I had jumped off beforehand and my taper was rough. Both my doctor and myself were trying to learn about the withdrawal process.

I am recovered and have been for many years. While in withdrawal I tried  to distract from the symptoms. I also practiced patience and acceptance, not an easy thing for me. 

You are right about this journey being different for each person . Just know that we are here to support and encourage you as you find the way to benzo freedom. In my opinion it’s well worth the effort.

• Like 1