Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Shortage of Klonopin due to Dockers strike

[St...]

I tried to renew my Klonopin today but the pharmacy was out citing it’s due to recent strike by Dockers. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Hi, @[St...], welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Sorry you're having troubles concerning such an issue. Hope buddies here will be able to help you clarify the situation. Good luck.

@[St...], please, if anything, don't be scared. Benzo withdrawal can be extremely hard but doesn't threaten our life or mind in fact and all its symptoms must subside over time, although i do understand how you should feel right now, so so sorry for you!

I think if you share a bit more information on your benzo history, we would be able to help and support you more. I mean how long, what dosages, other symptoms apart from bad sleep, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, [[S...] said:

I tried to renew my Klonopin today but the pharmacy was out citing it’s due to recent strike by Dockers. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thankfully, the ILA workers have gone back to work after a tentative agreement was reached.  What pharmacy are you using? Could you not have your K Rx transferred to another pharmacy?

OP said>>>>

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Personally, I have not read of anyone else having trouble getting their Rx's filled b/c of this.

• Like 1

I’m going to call around today. I’ve never gone through withdrawal other than a day or 2 for 16 years. I’m terrified!

I’ve been taking Klonopin 2mg a day for past 16 years. I’ve been without it for 4 days/nights. Symptoms: insomnia x4 days, headache, decreased appetite and when I do eat my body feels inflamed, occasional chest pressure with rapid pulse, terrible tinnitus. 

Try every pharmacy possible until you get some.  I don’t know the reason, but one time Tampa Bay Area was short on Klonopin. They all said they were out and didn’t know when they would have it.  I know that is a terrible feeling.  I called pharmacies, but was told I had to come in person!  Finally, Target had some in stock, but the pharmacist looked at the computer and at me and said “You’ve been pharmacy shopping “.  Like I’m an addict.  I explained why. But whatever. After that, i reduced slowly without telling my doc.  After awhile, i had at least one month supply on hand besides the bottle I was using. I feel I have to hoard medicine now since then.  

but now that I am ordering through a compounding pharmacy- I have not much extra.  

Edited by [mo...]
Spelling
  • Like 1

I’ve been taking Klonopin 2mg a day for past 16 years. I’ve been without it for 4 days/nights. Symptoms: insomnia x4 days, headache, decreased appetite and when I do eat my body feels inflamed, occasional chest pressure with rapid pulse, terrible tinnitus. 

Yes, these are very common symptoms of benzo withdrawal and can sometimes feel absolutely unbearable for quite a while, although it's still just symptoms, which don't mean you have been irreversibly damaged. Such condition does pass in the end even after quitting the medication abruptly but it's absolutely not a proper way to quit especially after long term use.

I do hope with all my heart you will be able to find ways to renew your klonopin and meanwhile, please, try not to panic over the state you're temporary in. 

I’m trying to maintain and hoping I find another pharmacy that has it today. I’m concerned about not being able to sleep. I’m aware it’s not good idea to stop abruptly but I didn’t know pharmacy would be out. It has never happened before.  I’m having difficulty functioning normally. Thanks for the info and support.

Edited by [St...]

I’m sorry this has happened to you, @[St...].  You are not alone in experiencing issues with obtaining refills.  You also are not the first member who has been given questionable information by pharmacy frontline staff.

In your shoes, I would contact your pharmacy again ASAP and ask to speak to the pharmacist in charge (not a technician or cashier).

I would give a brief description of your situation. I would then share that you just learned about FDA Black Box Warning for Klonopin/clonazepam (see full text below) and are very concerned about your well-being given that you are experiencing intolerable withdrawal symptoms. The key text to cite is:

Abrupt discontinuation or rapid dosage reduction of Klonopin after continued use may precipitate acute withdrawal reactions, which can be life-threatening.

Lastly, I would ask for the lead pharmacist for their help in obtaining a refill today.  

Also, if you have not already done so, I would alert my prescriber of this situation.  

Worst case scenario, I would go to the ER to get a temporary fill.

Finally, just checking …

Are you aware that clonazepam has a relatively long half-life so it can take several days for the full effects of an abrupt discontinuation to manifest? In other words, the withdrawal symptoms you are experiencing may well intensify if you are unable to reinstate the medication.

FDA Black Box Warning
DailyMed - KLONOPIN- clonazepam tablet

The continued use of benzodiazepines, including Klonopin, may lead to clinically significant physical dependence. The risks of dependence and withdrawal increase with longer treatment duration and higher daily dose. Abrupt discontinuation or rapid dosage reduction of Klonopin after continued use may precipitate acute withdrawal reactions, which can be life-threatening. To reduce the risk of withdrawal reactions, use a gradual taper to discontinue Klonopin or reduce the dosage …

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I’m going to call the pharmacy when they open in 2 hours. I was aware of half life of Klonopin. Today is day 5 and I’m worried the symptoms may get worse. I appreciate you taking the time to write all that info for me. 

3 hours ago, [[S...] said:

This is definitely benzo w/d IMO and will most likely get a lot worse unless you start the klonopin back up. 2 MG is a substantial amount. Were you stable on the 2 mgs? Before you ran out due to the dockworkers striking, were you tapering or thinking about tapering, or do you want to just stay on the 2 mgs for now?

Edited by [An...]
grammar correction

I’m trying to maintain and hoping I find another pharmacy that has it today. I’m concerned about not being able to sleep. I’m aware it’s not good idea to stop abruptly but I didn’t know pharmacy would be out. It has never happened before.  I’m having difficulty functioning normally. Thanks for the info and support.

Maybe try Costco or smaller mom-and-pop pharmacies even if you have to pay more. You are in a window where you should be able to start taking it again and hopefully, the symptoms subside. You don't want to stay off long if you plan to taper. 1-2 weeks is the suggested window for reinstatement.

Edited by [Re...]
  • Like 3

@[An...], yes, I was stable on 2mg and was about to start tapering. I don’t think strike was going in when I got my last rx in August. I called another CVS that’s open 24 hours (my CVS opens at 11:00).  The 24 hour CVS has some Klonopin 1mg tabs but said new rx would need to be called in rather than transferred. I can try to reach my doctor but not sure I can. Fingers crossed I can get some today. I really need to get some sleep.  Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info. I’m going to call the pharmacy when they open in 2 hours. I was aware of half life of Klonopin. Today is day 5 and I’m worried the symptoms may get worse. I appreciate you taking the time to write all that info for me. 

You’re welcome @[St...].  I do not wish to alarm you, but it is indeed possible that the withdrawal symptoms you are experiencing will intensify as the serum concentration of the clonazepam continues to decrease.

My strong suspicion is that the information you were given at the pharmacy about a shortage due to the strike was incorrect. The FDA Drug Shortages database shows clonazepam is available from the manufacturer of brand Klonopin (H2 Pharma which I believe is US based) as well as multiple generic clonazepam manufacturers (Accord, Solco, and Advagen). The only generic manufacturer showing limited availability is Teva. The net?  Supply is out there … a reputable pharmacist should be willing (and motivated once reminded of the FDA Black Box warning) to help you access it.

Have you alerted your prescriber of your situation in case you need additional assistance?  

@[St...] said>>>

I called another CVS that’s open 24 hours (my CVS opens at 11:00). 

This does not make sense to me if the CVS you are using is out, and you called another CVS who has some in stock. A CVS is a CVS. Are they telling you the reason it can't be transferred is b/c it is a Schedule IV controlled drug? The CVS who is out.....is this a new Rx or do you have remaining refills at this CVS?

image.thumb.png.3f8d789d415588b9fc77c20468bc2af4.png

Source: Good Rx👆

@[An...]  Thank you for providing support to @[St...].  

The information you shared from Good Rx is for Schedule II drugs.  As you noted in your post, clonazepam is a Schedule IV drug.  Does Good Rx have any info about Schedule IVs and transfers?  Although I have not done so recently, I have had prescriptions for clonazepam transferred from one pharmacy to another without issues in the past.

1 hour ago, [[L...] said:

@[An...]  Thank you for providing support to @[St...].  

The information you shared from Good Rx is for Schedule II drugs.  As you noted in your post, clonazepam is a Schedule IV drug.  Does Good Rx have any info about Schedule IVs and transfers?  Although I have not done so recently, I have had prescriptions for clonazepam transferred from one pharmacy to another without issues in the past.

No @[Li...]...I did not see anything about scheduled 4 drugs like benzos. I, too, have had benzos transferred to a different pharmacy like yourself with no problems. I am really curious why  (the reason) the 24/7 CVS told @[St...] this.

Wow, you can't even talk to a human. IVR is the worst piece of modern technology ever created, IMO. I called my local CVS and simply wanted to speak to the Pharmacist or a pharmacy tech and a computer tries to help you instead and will not connect you to a human. <smh>

All these huge companies do this now. There is no such thing as customer service anymore.

6 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Try every pharmacy possible until you get some.  I don’t know the reason, but one time Tampa Bay Area was short on Klonopin. They all said they were out and didn’t know when they would have it.  I know that is a terrible feeling.  I called pharmacies, but was told I had to come in person!  Finally, Target had some in stock, but the pharmacist looked at the computer and at me and said “You’ve been pharmacy shopping “.  Like I’m an addict.  I explained why. But whatever. After that, i reduced slowly without telling my doc.  After awhile, i had at least one month supply on hand besides the bottle I was using. I feel I have to hoard medicine now since then.  

but now that I am ordering through a compounding pharmacy- I have not much extra.  

This is horrible @[mo...]. I don't blame you for trying to stockpile like this as you slowly try to withdraw or even if you are not ready to withdraw ATM. Any of us could find ourselves in similar situations where you are abruptly cut off. Then, they have the gall to label you as an addict (drug seeking behavior). This is like so bad b/c nothing could be further from the truth. You just can't stop these drugs all of a sudden. That is inhumane.

18 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Out of curiosity, I am going to call my local CVS and ask them.

Thanks for trying, @[An...].  I’m sorry you got sent into robo-land.  I found additional info about transfers on GoodRx (see below).  I believe these are federal rules; states may have different ones.

Some prescriptions can only be transferred once

Schedule III, IV, and V medications are controlled substances and can only be transferred one time — no matter how many refills you have left. After transferring them once, you’ll need a new prescription from your prescriber to switch pharmacies again.

Some prescriptions can’t be transferred

Schedule II controlled substance medications cannot be transferred at all. They also aren’t eligible for refills, so your prescriber will need to give you a new prescription every time you need it.

• Like 1