Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone feel worse after slowing the taper rate?

[Ca...]

I've been tapering for 2.6 years. Down from 40 valium and a Clonapin to 11.3 valium. In withdrawal from day one. Very acute symptoms. I started tapering at 1.38 mg a month, as I got to 16 mg dropped to one mg a month, had to updose at 12 to 14 and do those two mgs again and when I hit 11.8 I switched to Maudsley taper guidelines and started tapering at .5 mg a month.

I think I feel worse. Certainly even more exhausted and more nerve pain and just want to sleep all day to avoid my feelings.

Has anyone felt worse from slowing the taper? I will be 70 in November. Very kindled.

Thanks.

Carol

You were having strong withdrawal symptoms at 40mg Valium equivalent and slowing down makes it worse?  What were your  symptoms like?

Yes, I can relate.  I tapered to 27mg over 2 years from 40mg.  I held at 27 and three months later I started having extreme anxiety, agoraphobia, temperature disregulation, back felt like it was burning, sweats, muscle spasms?

I was having withdrawal symptoms from the moment I started the taper. Or Ashton I had built in enough Valium to cover the clinapin taper so tapered the clonapin quickly and also started tapering the Valium . At that point I could drive go to doctor appts and grocery shop. As I went to one mg a month from 1.38 taper rate I felt worse. I held and I updosed . Nothing helped so I dropped the taper rate to half a mg as a microtaper and now it’s very slow and my symptoms increased!! I have all of your symptoms . The agoraphobia and akathesia are worse than they were. I’m bed bound most of the day until three but am up late like to two am.

what are you doing with your taper now ? I’m wondering if I should go back to one mg a month.

When you convert your Klonopin to Valium equivalent, at what dose did you have the strong symptoms?  I had them at 25mg and had to bump up.  I honestly don't know what to do because holding resulted in an eruption of symptoms and not being functional 3 months later.  I'm doing a trial of reducing to 26mg by 1mg so 3.7%.