Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Mirtazapine in benso withdrawal akathesia

[jo...]

I'm 4 months off benso and have sever akathesia and had to take mirtazapine to survive,,,has anyone any knowledge of healing wile on mirtazapine?

Hi @[jo...] Welcome to benzo buddies.

it seems to me that people react differently to different drugs. Mirtazapine gave me Akathisia. Some people get relief from it. If it is helping you that's great but it is another drug that will need tapering eventually.

I'm tapering it now and have had a rough time but I reacted badly to it, not everyone does. I think taking any CNS med regularly and becoming dependant will prolong your journey because it will need tapering.

I wish I never took it personally but my experience will not be the same as yours most likely. If possible it's best to do this without other meds imo. I am learning that the hard way. What have been your positive and negative effects from it?

Yes, I healed up to a point on mirtazapine and trazodone.  I still have akathisia.  But I did do some significant healing while on it.  I'm still on it so don't know if that's the reason I can't fully heal.  

I tried 3 times to come off and deal with the akathesia but it wasn't possible,,,,what do I type in search to find ppl who have done Rhian,,not sure as I'm new ro site 

Just now, [[j...] said:

I tried 3 times to come off and deal with the akathesia but it wasn't possible,,,,what do I type in search to find ppl who have done Rhian,,not sure as I'm new ro site 

Do you mean you tried 3 times to come off benzos and couldn't so thats why you took mirtazapine. Just type what you are looking for in the search bar at the top of the page and it will show you results.

2 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

No to stop the mirtazapine 

Do you beleive the Akathisia is from benzo withdrawl and the mirtazapine is stopping it? Or the mirtazapine is in some way responsible?  If it's helping then it might be worth staying on it for a while longer till you heal more from the benzo withdrawl. If that's whats causing it.

20 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

what do I type in search to find ppl who have done Rhian,,not sure as I'm new ro site 

Sorry, what did you mean by this? I might have missunderstood.

I'm tapering mirtazapine now and there's a lot on here about how to come of it. The recommendation is slowy. Type mirtazapine in the search bar and search everywhere. You'll find a lot of threads concerning this.

Some of them are mine and have a lot of advice from other members about tapering. Surviving antidepressants is another good website for this and there is a mirt facebook group too.

There are people on here who have a lot more experience than me and I'm sure will chime in on this matter to help you. How quickly did you come off those three attempts?

I'd only been on 3 week and tried ro just stop it wasn't w.d from the mirtazapine that I couldn't it was the akathesia from benso w.d why I had to go back on..been on 6 weeks now

If the Akathisia is from benzo withdrawl, and the mirtazapine stops it, then you could stay on the mirtazapine for a while longer until some healing has taken place.

You could then at a later date slow taper the mirtazapine. If the Akathisia is to much which I know it can be from personal experience, then maybe stay on the mirt for now.

I think this is what I would do even though it's not ideal being on another pshyc medication. If it is stopping Akathisia then that is a good thing imo. I wish I could take something non GABA to stop this.

This is just my opinion on what I would probably do. The problem I have is that the Akathisia is caused by the mirtazapine so I have to get off of it.

Either way slow taper the mirt when you think it's time and watch out for signs of Akathisia as you go. You will then have options of holding your dose or updosing to try and combat symptoms. This is the best way I think.

I wouldnt just stop quick as it could be a shock to your CNS. I was on for less than 6 weeks and made a big 50% cut and felt it.

• Like 1