Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Why the looping thoughts?

[Bu...]

The looping thoughts are getting crazier! Throughout this whole wd thing, I've had paranoia,anxiety and intrusive thoughts  (which are all hell),  but the looping thoughts have REALLY intensified. I mean something I'm triggered by will last days, usually weeks. This wasn't the case before. These nasty, horrifying thoughts truly are crippling. Any ideas please?

• Like 1

Hi @[Bu...]

Do you have someone you can trust whom you could confide in with your looping thoughts? I also have such thoughts. They are Hell. Fortunately, I have someone into whom I can confide and who understands. It brings huge relief. You can also tell your therapist or doctor.

The trick is that you hear the thought enough times to realize its absurdity. You can also write it down and dispute it. Are you familiar with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? Here is what I found specifically about Rumination Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy RF-CBT:

It involves identifying the causes of rumination and aims to foster more concrete, process-focused and specific thinking – as opposed to ruminative thoughts, which are often abstract, obsessive, and focused on numerous possible outcomes.

Here is an article for you:

"Stuck in a loop of worrying thoughts? Here is how to stop it"

I'm gonna read it now as well, so maybe will add a few points afterwards. I just woke up and am coming down with something terrible (physically this time), so my brain is processing information slower.

We'll get better @[Bu...], I promise:mybuddy:

Paula🤍

Edited by [Es...]
  • Love 1

@[Bu...]

Yes, so they suggest identifying reasons: why are you having these thoughts in the first place? It's easy to blame everything on BZD WD. But sadly, benzos are also the consequences of something. And not solely the causes.

You were a certain way, had this and this host of specific problems, so you started benzos to cope with them better. You know there are these Big Five Personality Traits which include: Conscientsciousness, Agreeableness, Extraversion, Openness to Experience, Neuroticism, Behavioral Outcomes and Critical Evaluation.

Yeah, we were a certain way before the benzos. Even if we didn't have an underlying condition, something serious enough triggered their use. 

Besides RF-CBT which focuses on modyfying the process of thinking, not the actions, there are also two other types of therapy they propose:

• Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) incorporates mindfulness meditation, body awareness, yoga and explorations of one’s patterns of thinking, feeling and acting to cultivate attention and emotion regulation while reducing rumination and worry. Individuals who experience difficulties engaging with the present moment (due to fixations on the past or a potential future) and who are not in tune with their bodily sensations may benefit from MBSR.
  • Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) aims to develop and expand psychological flexibility, thereby improving one’s ability to adapt thoughts and behaviours to better align with one’s values and goals. Individuals who experience rigid thought processes, who have difficulty imagining alternative options, and who struggle to accept their thoughts may benefit from ACT.

These are self-therapies you can practice on your own, after you become familiar with their rules. I'm trying to practice mindfulness daily. Now, there is a small statue of Buddha in every room of my apartment. And two altars besides my bed. Dependind on which side I sleep with my Kitty.

People may think I'm insane, but it works. BTW, Buddhism is more a philosophy than a religion. This great Zen proverb: "Let go or be dragged." Can you think of anything more effective to combat looping thoughts. They come and go, like waves. They move like clouds in the sky. And what we do is observe, observe, observe. And wonder: where do they come from? Let them go back there...

• Like 1

I have had these problems for many years. Old embarrassing memories that I thought I had forgotten a long time ago. Anxiety, and worrying about the future. I'm doomed. But I'm thinking I'm slamming a door with a big bang, and I'm thinking NO! Then I was so tired of this slamming door over and over again that I had enough of intrusive thoughts.

Edited by [No...]
  • Like 2

Yes, @[Es...], absurd, but horrifying thoughts. I'm haunted by horrible things I heard in the news decades ago and think it will happen to me. I'm not sure I can tackle all these thoughts (there's just too many). Everything is just so terrifying.

• Like 2

@[Es...] not everyone has a pre existing condition sorry I have to say this , as I didn’t and have these intrusive looping thoughts ever before  , I never got on this medication for mental illness so it really is chemically driven in most cases on withdrawal I think . I mean no coping strategies seem to work at all and I’ve tried them all , they just keep coming back  . I completely understand why we should try them though but honestly I’ve tried it all 😤 distraction is the only thing that can sometimes take the edge of for me anyway 

Edited by [Lo...]
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, [[B...] said:

Yes, @[Es...], absurd, but horrifying thoughts. I'm haunted by horrible things I heard in the news decades ago and think it will happen to me. I'm not sure I can tackle all these thoughts (there's just too many). Everything is just so terrifying.

Hold on @[Bu...], I'm right there. Across the lands and oceans, my Soul is right to yours. Hugs to you, you're safe:mybuddy:

• Love 1

48 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

@[Es...] not everyone has a pre existing condition sorry I have to say this , as I didn’t and have these intrusive looping thoughts ever before  , I never got on this medication for mental illness so it really is chemically driven in most cases on withdrawal I think . I mean no coping strategies seem to work at all and I’ve tried them all , they just keep coming back  . I completely understand why we should try them though but honestly I’ve tried it all 😤 distraction is the only thing that can sometimes take the edge of for me anyway 

@[Lo...] 

I didn't say only preexisting conditions engender looping thoughts. In my second post, I talk about The Big Five Personality Traits, which we all have. Even they could cause them. 

@[Es...]  I didn’t have them before these drugs at all , even with my personality I was very chilled to be honest and never had any experience with this . I really need to stick with my belief and faith here as I know who I was before this injury . I appreciate your input though , maybe I’m just not understanding it , I just pray this symptom passes as it’s just so hard 

Edited by [Lo...]

Im 4 months post taper off a rapid to moderate direct taper off ativan and i suffer from very frightening intrusive thoughts too. I keep myself distracted by having my earbuds in all day listening to either michael sealey or meditation vacation meditations or listening to calm ambient music. I suffer from severe anhedonia too so all I do is lay on the couch or bed or sit outside and smoke cigarettes all day long with a cup of tea, drinking coffee only in the morning.

I noticed that once I reduced my coffee intake to 1 to 2 cups max only in the morning the intrusive thoughts drastically decreased to a minimum too.