Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Good foods for the CNS?

[jo...]

Hi everyone.

I really need to sort out my diet and was wondering if anyone had any advice on good foods for the CNS. Some of you will probably know that I am tapering mirtazapine as I developed Akathisia. One of the problems it has given me is that it makes me eat and crave sugar and I have given in to those cravings on many occasions.

I really need to start eating better again as I beleive it has a signifficant impact on our CNS so am looking for tips. I've done the whole google thing but would prefer advice that is tried and tested from people in a similar position to me. Thanks in advance!

18 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Hi everyone.

I really need to sort out my diet and was wondering if anyone had any advice on good foods for the CNS. Some of you will probably know that I am tapering mirtazapine as I developed Akathisia. One of the problems it has given me is that it makes me eat and crave sugar and I have given in to those cravings on many occasions.

I really need to start eating better again as I beleive it has a signifficant impact on our CNS so am looking for tips. I've done the whole google thing but would prefer advice that is tried and tested from people in a similar position to me. Thanks in advance!

Hey @Jonwil

its the thing we all know but never do :) wholefoods, not processed, lots of veggies and fruits, fish, nuts and seeds - as close as possible as the way nature intended. the Mediterranean diet is good to follow as a general guide

specifically for WD check out diets for people with Autism they have the glutamate imbalance and histamine sensitivities so aligning to these diets works well for us in WD. https://mastcell360.com/low-histamine-foods-list/

stay away from processed foods, high suger content and caffiene etc... all makes symptoms worse also anything that stimulates GABA (find a list online) i.e Honey

I personally find protein (vegan protein powder) a good WD hack - when my symptoms ramp, insomnia etc I find having a shake an hour before bed or one in the middle of the night when I am surging wiht cortisol helps bring my body back down and has really helped the sleeps issues. but everyone is different! high protein will also help maintain muscle mass etc...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Hey @Jonwil

its the thing we all know but never do :) wholefoods, not processed, lots of veggies and fruits, fish, nuts and seeds - as close as possible as the way nature intended. the Mediterranean diet is good to follow as a general guide

specifically for WD check out diets for people with Autism they have the glutamate imbalance and histamine sensitivities so aligning to these diets works well for us in WD. https://mastcell360.com/low-histamine-foods-list/

stay away from processed foods, high suger content and caffiene etc... all makes symptoms worse also anything that stimulates GABA (find a list online) i.e Honey

I personally find protein (vegan protein powder) a good WD hack - when my symptoms ramp, insomnia etc I find having a shake an hour before bed or one in the middle of the night when I am surging wiht cortisol helps bring my body back down and has really helped the sleeps issues. but everyone is different! high protein will also help maintain muscle mass etc...

Thanks @[Ab...] I'll look into that now. The vegan shakes sounds like a good idea. Quick and convenient is the way forward I think if possible, I can't really cook for myself atm. Or at least it's very difficult sometimes. I think that's a big problem for some of us actually. Cooking healthy meals I mean. Convenient healthy food is what I need to work out for the time being I think(y)

Edited by [jo...]
  • Like 1

Quite a lot of foods on the high gaba list also appear on the low histamine list which is quite annoying. Rice, broccoli etc. 

52 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Thanks @[Ab...] I'll look into that now. The vegan shakes sounds like a good idea. Quick and convenient is the way forward I think if possible, I can't really cook for myself atm. Or at least it's very difficult sometimes. I think that's a big problem for some of us actually. Cooking healthy meals I mean. Convenient healthy food is what I need to work out for the time being I think(y)

One caveat on this is don't make huge dietary changes overnight. Your microbiome is a very complex system, and in WD it's even more sensitive. I took  probitioc and had bone broth and both sent me into huge awful zings and symptoms for days and days afterwards. Two things I was fine with prior to WD. But they both stimulate GABA in your stomach. 

Take it slowly try introducing 2 to 3 pieces of fruit a day. I have been using whitewolf vegan protein for four years so my microbiome are so used to it. Don't rush and change lots overnight. It will make things worse. 

Also I use a meal delivery kit like hello fresh, it takes the stress away all ingredients arrive in a box, recipes take 30 mins to cook and minimal stress on choosing food to eat. I have always been a dreadful cook so this option works for me as living alone. I can't handle the stress of thinking up food ideas and weekly shopping. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

One caveat on this is don't make huge dietary changes overnight. Your microbiome is a very complex system, and in WD it's even more sensitive. I took  probitioc and had bone broth and both sent me into huge awful zings and symptoms for days and days afterwards. Two things I was fine with prior to WD. But they both stimulate GABA in your stomach. 

Take it slowly try introducing 2 to 3 pieces of fruit a day. I have been using whitewolf vegan protein for four years so my microbiome are so used to it. Don't rush and change lots overnight. It will make things worse. 

Also I use a meal delivery kit like hello fresh, it takes the stress away all ingredients arrive in a box, recipes take 30 mins to cook and minimal stress on choosing food to eat. I have always been a dreadful cook so this option works for me as living alone. I can't handle the stress of thinking up food ideas and weekly shopping. 

I'll take it slow. Thanks @[Ab...]

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Quite a lot of foods on the high gaba list also appear on the low histamine list which is quite annoying. Rice, broccoli etc. 

Yeah its very difficult to balance, overall I haven't had too many food sensitivities which I am lucky for. Zero tolerance to any supplements they all send me haywire again. It depends how far you are in your journey I would try and support your GABA as much as possible I the early stages as it takes about 100 days for receptors to grow back and start functioning. (According to google) but then glutamate and histamines as you go. I am month 4 of WD and find my body is just loving fruit and vegetables of any kind.

Edited by [Ab...]
  • Like 2

@[jo...] A vegan diet is the only way to go. If anyone says their dr. told them their body can't take it, the Dr doesn't know anything about how nutrition works. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1