Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Metabolism

[Sc...]

Hi everyone!

I stopped taking Valium at the of June this year, took 5mg for 3 years and 2.5mg for 1 year. Do benzos affect our metabolism? I imagine they do because since I started taking it, I've had this weird bloated weight where my stomach is, and nowhere else. I take no other medication, I exercise daily, eat very healthy and only drink water and kefir. 

I am 5'10" and 140lbs, I am normally 115-120lbs, so this is weird for me! If anyone has any experience with this I'd love to know, thank you :) If anyone can share when their weight went back to normal, etc..I'd be so grateful. It is awful not having my clothes fit for this long.

I'm not sure about benzos but i read that ADs/quentapine can lower metabolism rate with 300%! 

And all of them makes food so good to.. I eat 1/3 of what i ate when on medicines. 

I just googled and it seems you're right!

Edited by [PE...]
  • Like 1

There is also something called benzo belly search the forums lots of posts on this. Plus with the CNS its all to do with stress and stress hormones concentrate weight on the abdomen area. So its probably a combination of benzo belly and stress hormones rebalancing now your off the benzos 

• Like 2

Thank you @[PE...] and @[Ab...] for your kind replies :)

That is exactly what I'm feeling, all this odd weight in the abdomen! Thank you, I'll try to take it easy and be patient until things go back to normal. 

Thanks Peppe for checking too, I did a quick Google search and found the same thing! I noticed since quitting benzos (and my other meds) I'm slowly eating less too. 

Really hope that this weight goes away soon, it's quite uncomfortable and awkward feeling :(

3 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Thank you @[PE...] and @[Ab...] for your kind replies :)

That is exactly what I'm feeling, all this odd weight in the abdomen! Thank you, I'll try to take it easy and be patient until things go back to normal. 

Thanks Peppe for checking too, I did a quick Google search and found the same thing! I noticed since quitting benzos (and my other meds) I'm slowly eating less too. 

Really hope that this weight goes away soon, it's quite uncomfortable and awkward feeling :(

My medication fat is gone 😊. It was stubborn but so I'm I 😆