Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What should I tell my doctor?

[Ja...]

Last time I spoke with my doctor I was 68% down, but then I went down even further, and I jumped at the lowest point of my medication. The acute was so incredibly extreme that I am now back up to 35% on and I’m having some symptoms. I’m going to abandon my taper, everyone in the community says I shouldn’t tell my doctor anything because they will tear you off of the drug which could be lethal for me. What is the protocol for discussing these things with your physician. He’s pretty cool and he knew I was tapering, so I don’t really know what to say. 

• Like 1

I took a chance and was 100% honest with my doctor and had a very good result.  My doctor, back before I found BB, weaned me too fast, and one time I just stopped filling my script.  Both times I was updosed, and I am still grateful for that.

You have to go with your gut-instinct on this.  It's really scarey, or it was for me going to a new doc 2 months ago as I relocated back to my home-State.  I can tell you I prayed before I went in to see her, and I took documentation on my taper I was still doing.

Be confident about your taper, as well as your need to updose because you tapered too fast.  Set a tentative plan to taper again, but much slower, and lay that all out to her, and would she/he help you do that?  Something like that.

I showed her my little "kit" I put together with scale etc. and she was very impressed, maybe even relieved that I was taking responsibility for my own health. Also a copy of my History I keep here on BB. oregonlady, :hug:

Edited by [or...]

On a protocol, I think it's for everyone to choose their own way they want to do this.  I would hold at your present dose, and if you can keep your 'scripts coming, then you don't have to say anything.  I re-read your post and that's also a possibility ;)  Does your doc need to know??  I'm thinking no at this point but that has to be your decision.  Everyone here is different, only suggestions , or shared experiences ;)

Just now, [[o...] said:

On a protocol, I think it's for everyone to choose their own way they want to do this.  I would hold at your present dose, and if you can keep your 'scripts coming, then you don't have to say anything.  I re-read your post and that's also a possibility ;)  Does your doc need to know??  I'm thinking no at this point but that has to be your decision.  Everyone here is different, only suggestions , or shared experiences ;)

I don't see why you would tell him because you still get your script, so you can go ahead and plan another taper when you are ready to do that JaymeO.  If your scared, don't do anything right now.  Just try to stick with you present dose and get as stable as you can.

I don't hear from anyone that it is good to go back and forth on your doses so please try smaller tapers when you do want to taper down again.  Do you have a "taper History" here on my your profile?  Others, including me, could help you do a slow and steady taper that may work much better for you.

I definitely know how to do a taper, but I fear, if I’m not honest, then all the records on his side will get messed up. Most likely I will never want to taper again, because I did a release low taper, and I did everything as I was supposed to, so I do not ever wanna feel that feeling again of a cute. I felt like I was going into psychosis. So I don’t ever wanna feel that again. If he cut me off, that would essentially be a death sentence.