Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Trip to ER for benzo belly

[Mu...]

September 19th was 5 Years Benzo free for music60 . After seven days of upper abdominal pain and extended belly, I went to the ER and was diagnosed with gallstones . Three doctors recommended removal of gallbladder and on Sept 20 procedure was performed as an outpatient.

Before being taken back to surgery, two people one from surgery one from anesthesia came into the room to speak with me and make sure all the facts were correct and did I have any questions? just one final, are any of the medication’s in the benzodiazepine family? just this said one young man showing a syringe of Versed. He said it’s basically a liquid Xanax that will calm and relax you. Are you saying you don’t want it? and that’s when I became upset and answered him, HELL NO. my wife and daughter were truly amazed . While being prepared for surgery, I schooled them in the hellish nightmare of benzo withdrawal but no one was listening, and probably no one cared.

since my benzo journey began five years ago, I have been amazed at the doctors who insist withdrawal is over in 6 to 10 weeks. One even laughed at me.

The surgery was successful,i’m out of there. It was a ENT dr that prescribed klonopin for 17 yrs ago . Beware of pill pushers. 

music60

Edited by [Mu...]

Good for you @[Mu...], for being proactive about what goes into your body! I had gallstones many many long years ago so I know how painful it is. I hope your recovery from surgery goes smoothly.

I’ve had multiple surgeries without benzos to calm me down. I think it’s more for their benefit. Like you, it was an ENT that prescribed benzos for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[M...] said:

September 19th was 5 Years Benzo free for music60 . After seven days of upper abdominal pain and extended belly, I went to the ER and was diagnosed with gallstones . Three doctors recommended removal of gallbladder and on Sept 20 procedure was performed as an outpatient.

Before being taken back to surgery, two people one from surgery one from anesthesia came into the room to speak with me and make sure all the facts were correct and did I have any questions? just one final, are any of the medication’s in the benzodiazepine family? just this said one young man showing a syringe of Versed. He said it’s basically a liquid Xanax that will calm and relax you. Are you saying you don’t want it? and that’s when I became upset and answered him, HELL NO. my wife and daughter were truly amazed . While being prepared for surgery, I schooled them in the hellish nightmare of benzo withdrawal but no one was listening, and probably no one cared.

since my benzo journey began five years ago, I have been amazed at the doctors who insist withdrawal is over in 6 to 10 weeks. One even laughed at me.

The surgery was successful,i’m out of there. It was a ENT dr that prescribed klonopin for 17 yrs ago . Beware of pill pushers. 

music60

It's good that you stood up for yourself.  I wouldn't expect a doctor to understand.  I recently had a cataract removed and knew ahead of time that they would administer Versed IV.  I'm in benzo recovery and figured a one-off dose wouldn't hurt.  The Versed did nothing for me.  No relaxation.  No reactions.  Nothing.  I'm just glad I wasn't responsible for the $300 bill.:D

@[Mu...] So glad to hear you are doing well!  Great news!  I am about 4 1/2 years out and in a nasty wave that has been going on for a couple of months!  Holding on for dear life!