Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Updosing by a significant amount

[...]

Hi, 

I have been trying to stabilize at 5mg after coming down from 20mg Valium over the course of 6 months. I have been experiencing terrible withdrawal symptoms, including very difficult mind states, and I am considering up dosing to 10 mg (5mg x 2 daily) and then trying to stabilize and taper way more slowly from there. I am interested in hearing from people who have had similar experiences and benefit from updosing. My quality of life went from great to zero when dropping down to 4mg from 5mg and up dosing to 5mg has not helped. Thank you and please don’t feel the need to reply unless you have had success in updosing. I already know the arguments regarding kindling. Thank you very much. 

Updosing does not cause kindling. It’s only when you completely start and stop benzodiazepines when kindling might happen, so you don’t need to worry about that.

I updosed twice. Not on Valium but Clonazepam. Both times by quite significant amounts because I made huge reductions without knowing about proper tapering. Both times it worked. I don’t know why updosing works for some but not quite as well for others.

Without knowing your history and simply going on your desire to updose, I would suggest you try updosing by 1mg every second day to see if you might feel better at a lower dose and to give the Valium a little bit of time to work. 

I’m really sorry you’re struggling. I’ve been there as well.