Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Struggling with withdrawl

[Ka...]

Hi I’m currently off Xanax for 4 months now and I am suffering badly and mainly at night… I’m not sure if I have akathisia or something else but right when I’m trying to lay down my legs start to ache my legs feel like there vibrating bugs crawling and only way to relieve it is moving and my arms will usually go numb. I’m usually pacing 3-5 hours a night and usually I’ll pass out for a couple hours from exhaustion. I’m losing hope and I’m scared to go through this for months/years of this. Last night I cried for hours and don’t think I could do another night of this how can I cope or help distract these symptoms it’s my worst yet. ;( I’m scared it’s permanent.

• Like 1

@[Ka...]you need to breathe slow your breathing down in throw your nose slowly on a count of 7 and out threw your mouth slowly off 11 try this a few times till you calm down,it will get better I know it doesn't feel like it at the moment, but it will 

• Like 1

@[Ka...],

I’m sorry things are rough, but I am truly not surprised at 4 months off. I know this is scary and all of us at one time or another shared the fear of permanence. Believe me these feelings can be strong but it does  get better.

I actually had new symptoms show up at 4 months off. These were still tough time for me but with time they eased up.

I did try to distract from symptoms sometimes day and night. I did puzzles, played scrabble against the computer, read easy going books and put on lighthearted movies. I used white noise and as @[...]suggested, I did controlled box breathing.

Revovery takes time, the cns is fragile and has to work to reset. Even during these times, healing is happening, keep believing. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Hi I’m currently off Xanax for 4 months now and I am suffering badly and mainly at night… I’m not sure if I have akathisia or something else but right when I’m trying to lay down my legs start to ache my legs feel like there vibrating bugs crawling and only way to relieve it is moving and my arms will usually go numb. I’m usually pacing 3-5 hours a night and usually I’ll pass out for a couple hours from exhaustion. I’m losing hope and I’m scared to go through this for months/years of this. Last night I cried for hours and don’t think I could do another night of this how can I cope or help distract these symptoms it’s my worst yet. ;( I’m scared it’s permanent.

My advice would be to just try and accept it and don’t force trying to sleep or close your eyes. Watch tv, walk around, play games on your phone. I am 13 months off and still have problems arise but not like I’m being tortured. Why I’m on here now. I promise it gets better and 4 months unfortunately is very early. Just know it subsides and forcing things is the worst thing to do. 

• Like 2