Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Setback experience?

Hello Ever one,

Just wondering if any body had experience with Setback like mine? after 2.5 Year off, I had to take SSRI again ( anxiety and heavy reflux cased by extreme exercise and few time of Alcohol) and it put me to a very bad setback. I am already 6 month and 1 week in it. getting better compare to first day, but it was much more stronger than acute. I am keep taking SSRI (I have to).

Does any one here had similar experience with setback caused by starting SSRI ? and if so how long to get back to better condition?

and I learned from many posts that setbacks are much more stronger than acute, do you know why?

Thanks for any input.

Hi @[...]

Above, you suggest the setback was actually caused by starting the SSRI. Are you sure it was the SSRI? It does seem more likely to have been as a result of the intense exercise or the alcohol, or a combination of both together? 

1 minute ago, [[T...] said:

Hi @[...]

Above, you suggest the setback was actually caused by starting the SSRI. Are you sure it was the SSRI? It does seem more likely to have been as a result of the intense exercise or the alcohol, or a combination of both together? 

Hi Taketwo,

it is combination of exercise and drink, then I had to take SSRI which made it worse, but no other choice.

I hope we all heal sooner than later.

1 minute ago, [[T...] said:

Oh, yes. 

That does make sense! 

Be kind to yourself. You’ll get there! 

Keep in mind, you don’t have to have reached 100% recovery before you can actually appreciate life again. It begins well before 100%. 🫂

Thanks a lot, Taketwo

my setback was more mental tortures than physical compare to acute in 2021. but the power of Anxiety was 10 time more in setback. I was expecting the setbacks more gentle.

Be well and Hugs

I understand what you mean by “mental tortures…”

Think of it more as a physical reaction, rather than revisiting acute withdrawal.

Before the benzo’s, I had a lot of gut issues that would trigger food reactions on a physical level. I’d find myself frozen in eternal terror as if I’d stepped out onto the road and suddenly realised I’m about to be run over by a bus. An intensely heightened state of freeze, fight, or flight. I ended up in the psychiatric ward as a result of this  because there was absolutely nothing I could do to activate the parasympathetic nervous system to pull me out of that adrenalised fearful state of terror. The fearful thoughts match the heightened adrenalised state. 

I believe this same type of activation (or very similar) happens as a result of benzo injury.  We can be triggered into that heightened state where there’s absolutely no way out other than allowing TIME to do its thing. 

I think there are those who are basically trapped in this heightened state for their entire taper. 

Edited by [Ta...]
  • Like 1

It is not unusual that SSRI causes horrible symptoms for the first 2-3 weeks. And an oversensitive nervous system makes it even worse. I couldn't eat or sleep, and my body felt like a pressure cooker.

Edited by [No...]

8 hours ago, [[N...] said:

It is not unusual that SSRI causes horrible symptoms for the first 2-3 weeks. And an oversensitive nervous system makes it even worse. I couldn't eat or sleep, and my body felt like a pressure cooker.

For me it is 6 months now. I am better but still intrusive thoughts and mornings are not fixed.

• Like 1